Klipsch RF62 or RF82? (not II version)

rvo87

Hey all,

I need your help! I found a pretty good deal on the Klipsch RF62's and RF82's (not the 2nd versions). I can either get the RF-62's for $500 or the RF-82's for $700.

I haven't gotten a chance to test them and my time is running out... Do you think an extra $200 for the RF-82's is justified by the 82's performance?

They will be used for movies, video games, and music (house, electro, top 40..).

The only third option would be Synergy F-30's for $600...

Thanks for your help! Love the Klipsch community.
R.

i would say the 82's but then again i have been very happy with klipschs reference models with 8" drivers and think they are superior to the 62's especially at 200 more, its worth it to me. Dont get me wrong, the 62's sound great but i think the 82's have a much more stern bass foundation and a bit of a more open sound.

Dont get me wrong, the 62's sound great but i think the 82's have a much more stern bass foundation and a bit of a more open sound.

You are pretty correct on this but amplification has a ton to do with that. I have run B&K amps with my RF-63's for a few years now and have been very pleased with the combination especially the way the midrange just flows out effortlessly while still having some low end grunt. When I ran the 63's in 2-channel only without sub and set to large, they sounded good but just didn't have that "snap" in the low and midbass.

Replaced the B&K's with and Acurus A250 and an Acurus 200FIVE. What a difference in the low end and highs. Gone were the rolled off highs and good bass and replaced with great bass with a punchy thump in the midbass that has the characteristics of my Fortes. The highs are now as detailed as ever which really shines with HT. Now the Acurus sounds very good in the midrange but does not have that sweet warmness of the B&K that is still very hard to beat. In this game there are usually trade offs but the improvements with the Acurus in the bass and highs outway the sweet midrange of the B&K.

Now my RF-63's sound bigger and fuller.

Bill

IMHO, the 1712 won't do either speaker justice. I had a Denon 1907 and I have RF82s an RC62 and an RW12d. When I had the 1907 I was never quite happy with the Klipsch speakers. They would play loud enough, but the high's were strident and they sounded harsh. I replaced the 1907 with a Denon 3310 (well, really a 770, but they are the same thing) and the sound is much improved. No more strident highs, just clean open sound. I know the Klipsch are efficient, but again, IMHO, there is no substitute for ample power.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's been helpful. I appreciate it!

I'm running a Denon AVR-1712 Receiver and a Polk Audio 12' Sub (PSW125)

R.

I bought this receiver recently around Black Friday on sale. It's my first one and I don't exactly have audiophile attuned hearing yet haha. My budget also isn't exactly the largest.

Would movies and music still sound good with this speaker/receiver combination, at least to the untrained ear? I could always upgrade the receiver in the future.

R.

Jason, yeah I still have them. Klipsch is actuall sending me a new pair because the vinyl was peeling on my old RF62s. New speakers!!

Anyway, back to the topic: The only reason I walked out with the 62s is because at the time, the RF82s were $300 or so more. I didnt hear the $300 difference honestly. The only reason I would step up to those is if you are running a dedicated two channel setup. I upgraded to the RF63s later and of course they are definately worth it.