Which model is right for me?

LHF63

OK, I realize nobody can really pinpoint that answer in a forum, but I'm trying to get to a short list of models for audition.

Needs to work in two different medium-sized rooms, one about 15x18 with a pitched ceiling, the other about 20x14 also with a pitched ceiling. The former is wood floor with large throw rug, the latter carpeted.

I like articulation in the bass over sheer impact, but I like it to go reasonably deep, mid-30s or below (in room of course). In the mids, gotta get female vocals right and be able to differentiate instruments (trumpet vs cornet, violin vs viola, etc). Happy to trade some extension or "air" in the highs for a lack of glare. Needs to do work for both music and movies (I have kids), but so far I've found that if I'm happy with something for music, nobody complains about how it sounds playing movies.

I'm not particularly beholden to any amp (have McIntosh solid state, Quicksilver tubes, vintage Marantz integrated, and others on-hand but regardless I'll find something that works.

Primarily thinking used "heritage" series, though this makes the whole "audition" thing difficult. Would like something made in the U.S.A. Could go to $3k, maybe $4k for something really special.

Ideas? Suggestions on where to get started? Let me know if this post belongs somewhere else.

Thanks,

Lou

Welcome to the forum Lou, we'll be happy to help you spent your money!

I don't know where you live but you'll be hard pressed to find demos of all the different lines in a local store. Your best bet would be to post your location and see if there are any members willing to let you hear their particular speakers and gear. You can then persue the particular speakers that you like best. All the different lines sound a little bit different, the only way to tell what you like is to get some auditions under your belt.

Carl

Thanks, Carl.

I'm just north of Orlando, FL. There is a dealer about an hour away, over in Daytona Beach, who stocks the heritage line. Think I'll call over there and see what they have and then go from there.

How many of the lines are actually made in the U.S.? I thought it was limited to the heritage series and the RF-7s? I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

Lou