Marantz MA700 vs. Emotiva XPA3

Dysmae

Hey guys. I just wanted to get some feedback and opinions. I know a lot of the forum members use the XPA3 with rave reviews, and I know a lot of people have also used the Marantz MA700 mono blocks. I currently have two Ma700s already and I love them, however Emotiva still has their holiday sale going on, and the XPA3 can be had for $599 shipped. I want 200 watts across my entire front stage, so do you think it would just be easier to by another ma700 for around $200 then to plunge $600 into a XPA3 and then go through the trouble to sell the MA700s? For those of you who have used both, how would you compare them? Most of my use is movies/TV/gaming, but music is also very important to me. I haven't heard any Emotiva gear, but my assumption is that the Marantz would be better than the Emotiva as far as music. Thanks for any feedback.

I want 200 watts across my entire front stage, so do you think it would just be easier to by another ma700 for around $200 then to plunge $600 into a XPA3 and then go through the trouble to sell the MA700s?

For one, I like the cool factor of monoblocks across the front. Two, there really is no trouble selling MA-700's, they get snatched up very quickly if priced right and are pretty easy to pack and ship if needed. I love the Marantz monoblocks and I think they are very musical. No personal experience with the XPA's.

Shoot for another MA-700 and see what you get. If pleased, enjoy to the fullest. Use the $400.00 saved to enhance your system somewhere else.

Bill

Yeah, I have been very happy with my MA700s so far. They really open up my towers. I just know most people on here love the XPAs and in the past, that is what I always wanted to get, but the Ma700s are great because I don't have to drop a huge chunk of cash all at once by buying them piece by piece. The only downside is that I am starting to run out of outlets on my Panamax, and it would be nice to have the amp running through one outlet. I didn't mention this, but I also have two MA500s sitting in a closet. I was planning on either using them for rear towers in a 7.1 setup when I move to a bigger home next year, to power bookshelfs in a Sonos system or to sell to fund other audio endeavors. I suppose I could try bridging them and run 250 watts to my center channel and see how that sounds, although I am really running out of room on my stand.

3 Mono block amps are better than a budget 3 channel amp with a shared power supply any day. I was running dual DBX BX-1 (2,3,4 channel) configurable amps until I relented and purchased a single Sherbourn 7/2100A which is a true 7 channel monoblock amp that can do 7 X 300W. Dual power cords prevent you from needing a 30A dedicated outlet.

Pick up another MA700 and call it done.