Hsu VTF-15H?

shake777

Mems (hope that doesn't insult anyone), This is so obvious a question its like the elephant in the room that no on mentions. From Sound + Vision and HT's reviews this certainly looks like its worthy of consideration by almost anyone. S+V even gave it favorable nods in the same arena as the Velodyne 15+. Its hard for me to trust magazine reviews since they seem to be almost stuck with ad considerations and they often seem to be saying "best ever" (not for this one I think). I'm hoping someone has one and others have heard one; Any of whom can compare to other good subs.. Nic

I'll start this post by stating that there seems to be a big difference between S&Vs measurements (and resulting opinions) on the Hsu VTF-15H and the folks over at Audioholics. Personally, I tend to trust Audioholics a bit more, primarily because their measurements actually line up well with others I've seen while S&V...not so much.

Based on Audioholics' measurements & review of the VTF-15H, I would categorize it as a very good subwoofer that represents a reasonable value, but nonetheless has significant limitations as one would expect given its cost. In an older shootout at Audioholics, it kept up reasonably well with the (since revised & improved) SVS PB12-Plus from 25Hz on up. At 20Hz, the Hsu seems to run out of gas, being outperformed by the old PB12+ by about 4.5dB. With the update to the PB12+, that gap is now roughly 6dB. IOW, it would take a pair of stacked Hsu's to match the performance of the new and admittedly more expensive PB12+ down low. Even compared with less costly subwoofers, such as the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, the VTF-15H falls short in this regard.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/vtf-15h

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-plus

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/lfm-1-ex-review

• 2 weeks later...

i bought this sub last week mostly based on the S&V and Home Theater mag reviews.

using it in a 2 channel application with khorns.

previously tried a Def Tech PF-15, this sub was not musical at all, it does ok in a HT setup but is out of its element with music.

this fall tried a Klipsch sub 12. it also didn't do anything for me, gave it to my brother in law for his home theather.

the Hsu however is wonderful, its quick where the PF-15 wasn't, keeps up with the khorns nicely.

it goes low, 16hz organ notes from the included test CD are reproduced without effort. 16 hz signals will kind of start to make you feel queasy after awhile [H]

my first impressions are VERY positive.

i think you would have to spend $1,500 - $2,000 and up to get much more performance, and it would be subtle i think. if you're looking at home theater applications, you may want to consider the SVS or JL Audio subs but for music this one is pretty good.

i have been looking to get some bottom end for my 2 channel system for two years now and the Hsu delivers in spades. it's really more than the room needs, but it's nice to have [8]

gnat, I really appreciate all the good info. I'm going a little crazy trying to decide among the top three or four. Right now I'm in SVS mode but that could change in ten minutes. They all have thier plus and minus. I love the looks and maybe the sound of the Velodyne 15+ because I'm imagining it to be musical and go pretty deep too. I'm afriad the SVS won't be musical enough. The JLs seem to have a great auto correction sytem and plenty of good sound. I can probably get a pair of the F112 for 3k. U So now the HSU is in the mix too. Thanks again for your help and any other comment you want to make would be most welcome. Nic

I believe the SVS has a single band PEQ for room correction. It isn't automatic, however it is very simple to use. They also have (last time I checked) a 30 day no questions asked return policy if you don't like it (possible but doubtful).

Most problems with the "musicality" of any sub can be traced back to improper set-up, most often mis-adjusted phase, in my experience.

i have to disagree with your last statement, there are some subs that are simply not adequate for music, i know, i've heard several. they were tested in phase, out of phase, along the wall, in the corner, behind the listening position, etc. the pf-15 was "flabby" no matter what i did. but, it's for sale if you're interested! [:D]

good man, IB..., hmmmm, i do have an open attic area above my listening room...hmmmm

An IB will remove any and all desires to upgrade your sub. It was the end of a long sub journey for me with stops along the way from Infinity, Klipsch and a couple of SVS's.

An IB will remove any and all desires to upgrade your sub.

*crossing fingers* I sure hope an IB isn't the only means to reach sub nirvana...

It's not. I'm really liking the horn subs. If I didn't have a room the lent itself to an IB, I'd definitely go with a horn loaded sub.

You've got e-mail.

An IB will remove any and all desires to upgrade your sub.

*crossing fingers* I sure hope an IB isn't the only means to reach sub nirvana...

It's not. I'm really liking the horn subs. If I didn't have a room the lent itself to an IB, I'd definitely go with a horn loaded sub.

You've got e-mail.

what's funny is that even if the horn loaded sub ends up sounding like crap, i can just stick it in the corner for wow factor and continue to run my RF-5's as full range speakers. I've had a couple of friends over to the new house and demo'd Tron Legacy - both of whom looked at me perplexed and wondering if I really needed a sub. *sigh*