Newbie - Sub advice

philg4d

This is my first post. My HT speakers are RF-82lls SW-308 and RB-51lls. My room is 20x20 but my sofa is in the middle approx 10 feet from speakers. My sub sounds great smooth deep and natural. But could us a little more output considering the room size. My question is would a second SW-308 give my more bottom or upgrading to one sw-310 be the way to go?

Welcome to the forum!

If you stack a 308, you get a max output of 116db, the same as a single 310. The 310 is rated for 2Hz lower. Those factors make it a toss up IMO.

If you sell the 308, and buy a 310, you will likely end up spending less money, and avoiding cancellation issues which may arise with two subs. However, there are some benefits in having more than one sub due to the ability to fill the room more evenly, etc.

Those are some of my thoughts, but I hope others will chime in with thier opinions.

Philg4d,

Welcome to the forum.

That is a tough question. Two SW-308's will give you a few more dB's than one but it will not dig any deeper. Based on specs provided by Klipsch, one SW-310 will play as loud as two SW-308's and will play deeper by 2Hz. The question is will one SW-310 play cleaner than two SW-308's?

Unless you can find either of these subs significantly discounted, I would look elsewhere for more bang for the buck. Have you considered buying a used subwoofer? Where are you located? Look for a high quality sub a few years old for your $$$ to buy you better performance at a lower price.

Bill

klipsch subs are good quality but i think your biggest benefit would come from a different brand of subwoofer that gives you more for the money, as stated above. I have always found that with music, i turn my subs down so it blends more with the music and doesnt stand out as much. With movies, i usually turn them up and for tv i leave it in the middle.

Sell the Klipsch 308 and get into a HSU VTF-3 MK4 (on sale for$650). I have never been a Klipsch sub fan except for the older reference 12 and 15 and even those don't compare with modern SVS, HSU or other direct Internet companies. The 308 is only good down to 26hz, ditch it.

Sell the Klipsch 308 and get into a HSU VTF-3 MK4 (on sale for$650). I have never been a Klipsch sub fan except for the older reference 12 and 15 and even those don't compare with modern SVS, HSU or other direct Internet companies. The 308 is only good down to 26hz, ditch it.

klipsch subs are good quality but i think your biggest benefit would come from a different brand of subwoofer that gives you more for the money, as stated above. I have always found that with music, i turn my subs down so it blends more with the music and doesnt stand out as much. With movies, i usually turn them up and for tv i leave it in the middle.

This was bound to come up. It seems the biggest problem with the Klipsch subs resides in the plate amps they choose to use. Klipsch should ditch them, and buy from whomever SVS, HSU or Paradigm are buying from. Actually, I think Paradigm uses Anthem amps, as they are affitiated.

This was bound to come up. It seems the biggest problem with the Klipsch subs resides in the plate amps they choose to use. Klipsch should ditch them, and buy from whomever SVS, HSU or Paradigm are buying from. Actually, I think Paradigm uses Anthem amps, as they are affitiated.

Either that or go back to buying amps from whoever supplied Klipsch for the RSW series. You NEVER hear about them crapping out.