kind of like the A vs AA thread

dtel

• Moderators

I think I spend as much time listening out there as I do inside really.

I removed the bass bins from the base frame with wheels that they sit on and added more braces so it can be picked up like in this pic. I took this pic when i moved them out in the yard a few weeks ago, I love the way music sounds outside, outdoor concerts were always my favorite.

This is a easy way to move them, tractor/forklift, when I get the new networks I going to put them outside and do something I rarely do, separate them and get to listen in stereo.

Big portable sound that can be ran off 12V if i need to.

post-11804-1381968621738_thumb.jpg

For your workshop uses, a refurbished A or AA should serve you well. The AA will have some tweeter protection through the zener diodes (those two metal thingies on the 2" wide piece of angle material. Moving to an AL3 or AL4 (depending on which midrange driver you are using) will give steeper crossover slopes to both midrange and tweeter, offering some more degree of driver protection at high volumes but you shouldn't need that so long as you're still using the D60 amp and not clipping it. If you try to shoot sound across the pond, we'll talk about some changes.

By pond that would be a pond on the Dtel's estate or the pond that the British live across?

Ok bad attempts at humor aside. when Try was showing difference in LaScala crossovers where the lady assembling them had mistakenly used steel screws instead of nylon, effectively making the crossover coils iron core rather than air core it was noticably different but he said he wasn't sure how audible.

But to the point here he said he'd recommend getting rid of the zener diodes as sure they would save a $37 mid or tweeter diaphragm but in doing so would blow up many a very high quality amplifier as it would basically present the amplifier with a dead short. So you probably need to be even more careful with the zener diodes in the crossover. Even 2 K-77 and 2 K-55 diaphragms would look cheep compared to an expensive amplifier. D60 I think is a Crown pro model? If so it can probably safely handle a dead short. Many highly regarded home amplifiers or the 70's and 80's at least cannot.

• Moderators

The AA will have some tweeter protection through the zener diodes (those two metal thingies on the 2" wide piece of angle material.

I had no idea what those were, or much of anything else on there. It's D-75, if there is a difference from the 60 ? I think it's only like 20 wpc, can't remember but it's more than I use. Only once or twice I have turned it up and walked around the pond just to see how it sounded at a few hundred feet, I was a little surprised how good it sounded.

This is a easy way to move them, tractor/forklift, when I get the new networks I going to put them outside and do something I rarely do, separate them and get to listen in stereo.

Big portable sound that can be ran off 12V if i need to.

I think Michael could use a tractor like that. Probably has room in his shop if there's room for his boat in the garage?

" it would basically present the amplifier with a dead short. "

Technically, this is not correct.

A zener requires a ballast to work
properly. For DC this is usually a resistor. For AC it may be a resistor
or a reactive component. A reactive component is better because it
dissipates negligible power. The crossover capacitor serves as a
reactive ballast.

• Moderators

I got a present in the mail today. [G]

I have to say they are much prettier in person, very nice looking work kg4guy.

I went straight and put them in, couldn't wait to hear them. I can not believe the difference, I now see what everyone says about replacing old caps. The biggest difference is the midrange and tweeter, voices are much clearer and every thing in the higher frequencies is completely different. You can hear cymbals when they are hit and then the sound they make instead of just a mess of everything all mixed up. Before you could tell when a cymbal was playing but it blended in with every other sound, which was true of the sound overall, everything sort of was just blended together.

Thank you, I didn't realize how bad the really sounded before.

To me the biggest difference is how everything is more separated and clear, you can hear the different tones of instruments and voices with a separation of quiet between them. The quiet space in between sounds is what makes the music sound real, and not just a jumbled mess all running together.

I don't know if it's my imagination or not but the bass even sounds tighter and clearer, should that have changed also?, I think so.

I'm going back to listen, sorry, be back later. [Y]

Thank You kg4guy