kind of like the A vs AA thread

dtel

• Moderators

I didn't want to jump the other thread so I will ask here.

Right now i have some old AA crossovers that are shot, one is even leaking.

The speakers are "like" split LaScala tops, Bob's tweeter, k400 midrange. The bottoms are a single MWM/K43 bass bins for each top.

These are in the workshop and wheel out into the yard to play outside, so medium and up volume but not crazy. Are the AA crossovers OK for this, I'm asking because at some point I will have to redo them anyway.

It will have to be done on the cheap side no matter what I do. It sounds good but fixing the crossover has got to sound better, because of age and one even leaking. [:$]

• Moderators

That's what I thought but not knowing anything about crossovers I wasn't sure if a change would be better. Thanks, I was going to just order the caps but thought I better ask first.

This setup I use is really just like a LaScala with a k 43 bass driver as far as the crossover see's it, just the bass bin itself is different. It sounds like a LaScala with more bass. [Y]

For your workshop uses, a refurbished A or AA should serve you well. The AA will have some tweeter protection through the zener diodes (those two metal thingies on the 2" wide piece of angle material. Moving to an AL3 or AL4 (depending on which midrange driver you are using) will give steeper crossover slopes to both midrange and tweeter, offering some more degree of driver protection at high volumes but you shouldn't need that so long as you're still using the D60 amp and not clipping it. If you try to shoot sound across the pond, we'll talk about some changes.

• Moderators

I think that's plenty enough power for what it's used for, you can still set the speakers back 50' to 100' and have plenty of volume for what it's used for. I did try that HK 930 one day out there and it had a real nice sound but I wouldn't want to use it out there, I think the crown amp is tougher.

One day I would like to hear a full set with the mid bass and top half that it was designed for, I have never heard one. Which is probably for the best really.

• Moderators

midbass would be an easy build - we could take measurements here.

Enabler!

My kinda guy Yes

That's funny

I need a bigger place to keep them first. One problem with that is I couldn't use a regular crossover, would that then make it a 4 way.

• 4 weeks later...

Those are the original atoformers and barrier strip used little grade sand paper to get the oxidation off and some cleaner the inductor and autoformer had been painted black so I taped it off sanded it a little and sprayed it with silver paint. tried them out last night in my LSI's ,that I have ALK Jrs in ,and forgot how much I like the sound of the basic Klipsch networks.

• Moderators

That looks great, it's really a wonder the old leaking caps still worked at all. I would guess they were really off from where they should be. I can't wait to hear what they sound like, I would think even with my old ears will hear a difference.

kg4guy THANK YOU you have no idea how long I have been wanting to do this. I did electrical work for years BUT it was offshore and later on houses, I have no idea when it comes to something like this. I have a very slightly understanding of what caps do and an overall idea of the goal of a network but i have no idea what the other parts do in a network to get everything where it needs to be.

Thank you

• Moderators

kg4guy, sorry but you have that turned completely around, your talking like a crazy person now. Thanks You , I had thought about new caps form a long time but would have also needed good instructions with pictures and soldering practice to not cause more damage than i was fixing. That's why it was put off for so long, but then you gave me a chance to get them fixed without worrying about ruining parts from not really knowing how to solder or wiring it wrong and blowing out a driver.

Thank you, I have to say we have met some of the nicest people on this forum, where else do you meet people like this regularly, it's rare. Thank you [H]

I have never seen anyone as fast as you, I got a message that you got them, and the next message is you were finished, a few hours later. [:o]

You don't play around, and yes your right you did save them, they were hanging on by a thread for a long time and now they have new life, and they will be greatly appreciated for years. [8]