Otari MX-5050 B-2HD or Tandberg TD-20A

Mike Lindsey

I know we have some reel-to-reel lovers on this Forum and was looking for some opinions on the following 2 decks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTARI-MX-5050-MX5050-B-2HD-Reel-Reel-TAPE-RECORDER-/370572124874?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5647d1e2ca

And...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TANDBERG-TD-20A-TD20A-Open-Reel-Reel-TAPE-RECORDER-/370572124876?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5647d1e2cc

Both decks are being sold by the same guy in the Midwest. I have been looking at this guys decks for a while now and am interested in getting a r2r. I was always fascinated by them starting in the late 70's with the Technics, Teac, Akai and Pioneer decks. I never owned one however. I have done some reading on both and it appears the Otari has a better transport, and is probably more robust. It also has more aftermarket parts available. The Tandberg, however, might have better sound quality and is definitely better looking.

Both of these have tape speeds of 7.5 and 15 ips, but differ where one is a 2-track machine (Otari) and the other is a 4-track machine (Tandberg).The Otari will play back 4-track tapes but does not have a 4-track record head.The Otari also only has XLR inputs.

I'm curious if any of you have any experience with either of these decks, and if so what your opinion is.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I have a MX-5050 BIII -2 that I have had for about 2 months now. It is a real brute in build quality and definately made for the serious user. A real beauty in design and function in my book. I feel the recording is very very close to the source material with decent tape. The machine is definately geared toward the professional user, no auto reverse, quarter inch tape played one direction only, then rewind and play again.

It is quiet in operation, quality sound, beautiful to look at and will most certainly last a life time with little upkeep in a home 2 channel system assuming it hasen't been beat in a previous life. Mine had seen very few hours in a University setting. There are a lot of fans and information out there. Here is one link I had saved.

http://www.otari.com/product/recorder/mx5050/index.html

RTR is a novelty and obsession at the same time. I have not had mine long enough to know where I come down on that. An ipad it is NOT!

Personally and from my second hand reasearch I don't think you will find a better built more robust unit. This is more of a work horse than a Diva though so it may not be the ultimate in sonics but probably better than many masters were recorded on. I would guess it is what many masters were recorded on. As I understand it the 2-track machine was kind of the final step after everything had been mixed down.

Also, the B-III can be switched from 3.75 ips and 7.5 ips to 7.5 ips and 15 ips depending on what you want to do. Verify that the B2 can do that if that is important because not all could.

I personally think the Tandberg is a better sounding deck,having owned both. But, the parts are unobtanium, mainly the table which gets bent if the unit falls face forward. Once they're bent they cannot be straightened completely.

You can see how they can fall face forward by looking at the footers.

Mike,

I have a MX-5050 BIII -2 that I have had for about 2 months now. It is a real brute in build quality and definately made for the serious user. A real beauty in design and function in my book. I feel the recording is very very close to the source material with decent tape. The machine is definately geared toward the professional user, no auto reverse, quarter inch tape played one direction only, then rewind and play again.

It is quiet in operation, quality sound, beautiful to look at and will most certainly last a life time with little upkeep in a home 2 channel system assuming it hasen't been beat in a previous life. Mine had seen very few hours in a University setting. There are a lot of fans and information out there. Here is one link I had saved.

http://www.otari.com/product/recorder/mx5050/index.html

RTR is a novelty and obsession at the same time. I have not had mine long enough to know where I come down on that. An ipad it is NOT!

Personally and from my second hand reasearch I don't think you will find a better built more robust unit. This is more of a work horse than a Diva though so it may not be the ultimate in sonics but probably better than many masters were recorded on. I would guess it is what many masters were recorded on. As I understand it the 2-track machine was kind of the final step after everything had been mixed down.

Also, the B-III can be switched from 3.75 ips and 7.5 ips to 7.5 ips and 15 ips depending on what you want to do. Verify that the B2 can do that if that is important because not all could.

Art,

Thanks for the link. I will take a look at it later when I have some time. The other thing I like about the MX5050 is its Tape Project ready, and I am curious about the sound quality of those tapes. The one I'm looking at has the internal tape speed switch so no worries there. As far as it being an obsession I can understand that. I listen to pretty much nothing but vinyl and enjoy the little idiosyncrasies that go with that.

Mike

Mike,

Back in the '80s when I was a real radio injuneer, we had a boatload of MX-5050BII 1/2 track decks for on air and production. They were reliable and easy to maintain. For my personal use, I purchased a Tandberg 10XD which is a 3-speed deck with Dolby B and Tandberg's crossfield head technology. My unit was a special order with 1/2 track heads. Using Ampex 456 tape @ 15 i.p.s. and Dolby, the live recordings I made were wonderful with absolutely silent background.

BTW, the meters on the 10XD as well as the TD-20A are equalized peak reading so as long as you keep the needles out of the red, you will always make a good recording. The first link below is an eBay listing for a 10XD with a "make an offer" price about 1/4 of the TD 20A.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TANDBERG-10XD-4-REEL-REEL-TAPE-RECORDER-/110784634725?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item19cb475f65

http://www.bassboy.com.au/getreel/site/samples/tandberg/10xd/10xd.htm

Lee

Hey Mike,

Your old friend Jay here I am the guy you want to talk to, LOL!!! Plain and simple the Otari is a hands down winner 2 track over 4 track all day long!!! I have a highly modded MX5050 B2-II and a Modded Studer A810, I also have a subscription to (The Tape Project) so I know what those tapes sound like on both of these decks. My decks use external tape-pre's taking the signal directly from the playback head bypassing all the internal electronics and passing directly to my main pre-amp!!! I also have a bunch of 4 track tapes that sound great but, the difference between those and any 2 track tapes is staggering!!! Get in touch with me if you need more info I'll be glad to help, oh BTW you should here one of these TP tapes being played with a certain 45 type amp I have LOL!!!

Jay

post-21005-13819685127176_thumb.jpg

I personally think the Tandberg is a better sounding deck,having owned both. But, the parts are unobtanium, mainly the table which gets bent if the unit falls face forward. Once they're bent they cannot be straightened completely.

You can see how they can fall face forward by looking at the footers.

Yeah, I have heard it is a great sounding machine as well, but I'm leary of the ferrite heads and finding parts for it.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Your old friend Jay here I am the guy you want to talk to, LOL!!! Plain and simple the Otari is a hands down winner 2 track over 4 track all day long!!! I have a highly modded MX5050 B2-II and a Modded Studer A810, I also have a subscription to (The Tape Project) so I know what those tapes sound like on both of these decks. My decks use external tape-pre's taking the signal directly from the playback head bypassing all the internal electronics and passing directly to my main pre-amp!!! I also have a bunch of 4 track tapes that sound great but, the difference between those and any 2 track tapes is staggering!!! Get in touch with me if you need more info I'll be glad to help, oh BTW you should here one of these TP tapes being played with a certain 45 type amp I have LOL!!!

Jay

Jay,

I'm glad you are enjoying the Korneff 45. [:)]

I ended up buying the Otari. I spoke to the seller and think I got a heck of a deal on this player. He said the heads were hardly used and took no time to bias. He also mentioned this one is rare for B2-HD machines in that it had the extra 4-track playback head. I'm sure I'll be talking to you but first I just want to get comfortable with the deck as it is, and then may want to do the Tape Path mod once I get some experience with it. I'd also like to talk more about the TP tapes down the road.

Mike

Mike, Josh Nichols has an older Tandberg that's styled a lot like the Thorens 124. I don't know the model number, but it's a sweet deck. Similar to this one.

Series64X.gif

Then, to add to the ensemble, you need to purchase an 8mm Bolex projector. You'll be stylin' (even more than you are currently)!!:

185auto_1.jpg