Home Theater Ponderings: 5.1 Receiver, Speakers, Wireless Rear & Woofer

AudioAddicted

I didn't read the whole thread, but before you buy check out the online authorized dealers found here. I just bought a 7.1 system and contacted each of them that had what I was looking for to find the best deal. What I found beat the prices on amazon by far. After doing that, see if there are any local dealers anywhere near you to see if they are willing to price match or even beat the price. My local dealer came down about $900 from when they first quoted me after I found way better deals online. They didn't even charge me tax so they could beat the online dealer's price. So basically my advice is, shop around, your wallet will thank you. I even upgraded some of the speakers I was getting because since I found a way better price, I could afford to. I got the system in my sig (minus the onkyo) for $3135, and that looks like about your budget. I got quoted online for $3180. I also got quoted the same package with the SW-115 for $3000.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read the whole thread, but before you buy check out the online authorized dealers found here. I just bought a 7.1 system and contacted each of them that had what I was looking for to find the best deal. What I found beat the prices on amazon by far. After doing that, see if there are any local dealers anywhere near you to see if they are willing to price match or even beat the price. My local dealer came down about $900 from when they first quoted me after I found way better deals online. They didn't even charge me tax so they could beat the online dealer's price. So basically my advice is, shop around, your wallet will thank you. I even upgraded some of the speakers I was getting because since I found a way better price, I could afford to.

This is such wonderful advice... I admit openly that I have fallen, for years, into the pitfall of believing the best deals are online - when truth be told MANY TIMES they are still found face to face or simply by TALKING on the phone to another human being who wants to earn your business, and has the CHANCE to, rather than simply hoping you click "add to cart!"

Come what may... before I do ANYTHING final on my purchase, I will be calling and negotiating and then visiting my local stores in the area (which there are two very well known and high end retailers) to see if they can then beat THOSE prices so I get a rock-bottom deal from a local small business right up the road! BOOYAH! I love the advice here on this forum!!

EDIT (Question): Now that I think about it, and clicked on your "online authorized retailer" link... I am going to commit to calling EACH AND EVERY ONE of the listed companies personally, to get them in a bidding war, haha, starting with the lowest online price (probably Amazon) as a 'starting point' and then going through the list to see who will beat it! How's that sound?

PS: How do you like the RF-82!? That's exactly what I'm planning on getting! I'm a huge movie buff, it's almost all I do with my spare time, and secondly, *I am VERY interested in experiencing LOSSLESS high quality BluRay audio (which I just learned about believe it or not through a Blog article right here on Klipsch)

Re-read my last post, I made an edit to it at the end. So far I am loving my system. It's not all completely set up yet as I still have to get the surrounds mounted to the walls, but I gotta say even tho it's not set up right yet, it still sounds awesome. I'm hearing things in movies that I've never heard before. I can definitely recommend my system. I still need to get everything dialed in, and my SW-115 is still in the mail, but once I get it all set up I'm sure I'm going to love it even more.

(Question): Now that I think about it, and clicked on your "online authorized retailer" link... I am going to commit to calling EACH AND EVERY ONE of the listed companies personally, to get them in a bidding war, haha, starting with the lowest online price (probably Amazon) as a 'starting point' and then going through the list to see who will beat it! How's that sound?

I actually found the best price at audioholics for my package (the quote mentioned in my first post). Look through the links because not all of them sell the reference line.

ONE THING I'VE ALWAYS BEEN CONFUSED ABOUT... is why all the Klipsch systems come with subwoofers on their website (home theater) but on Amazon, Ebay, and independent websites, they either don't come with the Klipsch subwoofer or they offer some sort of "free"subwoofer usually from BIC Acoustech PL-200, which has decent reviews on Amazon and supposedly handles 600 watts, BUT I'D RATHER STICK WITH AN ENTIRE MATCHED Klipsch system withwoofer.

Because on Amazon, they are selling the rest of the speakers at MSRP so they can afford to throw in a $300-$400 sub for free. They are still making a huge profit on that package. I was wondering that myself and then I contacted the sellers and got way better quotes on the whole package. Sorry for the multiple posts, I just read the whole thread =^P

Because on Amazon, they are selling the rest of the speakers at MSRP so they can afford to throw in a $300-$400 sub for free. They are still making a huge profit on that package. I was wondering that myself and then I contacted the sellers and got way better quotes on the whole package. Sorry for the multiple posts, I just read the whole thread =^P

That makes total sense now... the subwoofer, in my opinion, is sort of the heartbeat of a truly well devised system - and I DON'T want to stray from Klipsch at the very end with the bass and life of the explosions in movies! I wonder if the reason when you call they beat certain online listed prices, is because they can't "post" prices lower than a certain range due to price protection and losing their authorized seller license?

So far with all the awesome help and guidance... I am going to stay strictly with the RF-82 system, the full 5.1 package with the mated 15'' Klipsch subwoofer, and I'm also going to call the couple authorized dealers that keep coming up again and again in my research as reputable companies willing to negotiate!

Other than that, I hope the Onkyo surround processor I listed above in my dream-build theater system will pump out enough (around 135 watts per channel) to really push the RF-82s to their potential (definitely not their max, but somewhere in their range of true potential).

Or you can wait for about a month and look at the new Onkyos coming out. With the money you will be saving on the speakers, you should be able to go with the 818 that's about to be released =^) That's the one I'm looking at myself. One of the sellers of the speakers I contacted wouldn't even email me a quote, I had to call him because he said something about not being able to email the prices. He was actually the cheapest quote I had found overall, but the shipping wasn't free so that killed the deal. It was Mike over at AVS sales. If you are closer to their facility, the shipping might not be as much, so he's one to check with too. AVS just became an authorized dealer, check the Klipsch owner thread over there to find his info.

Or you can wait for about a month and look at the new Onkyos coming out. With the money you will be saving on the speakers, you should be able to go with the 818 that's about to be released =^) That's the one I'm looking at myself. One of the sellers of the speakers I contacted wouldn't even email me a quote, I had to call him because he said something about not being able to email the prices. He was actually the cheapest quote I had found overall, but the shipping wasn't free so that killed the deal. It was Mike over at AVS sales. If you are closer to their facility, the shipping might not be as much, so he's one to check with too. AVS just became an authorized dealer, check the Klipsch owner thread over there to find his info.

Really interested in he forthcoming Onkyo offerings! Thanks for the heads up. I admit, I am usually fast to 'fall' or get excited for the next and best greatest thing, but the Onkyo I have my eyes set on seems pretty amazing and more than capable of what I'm looking for - might you know or have a forum I can visit that has some press releases or specs on the new 2012 models being released so I can see if the $$$ is worth it in new 'features.' I also looked for AVS as a website, and couldn't turn anything up, too bad about no free shipping with your deal though.

*I found it... "Coming Soon," the Onkyo TX-NR818! Looks gorgeous!

PS: No one commented on my "Fishy" post a little higher up, about that shady website selling a new Klipsch system for $735, haha, obviously a scam - I posted a link (it's a China based company).

Everything that I've read about the 818 has people excited, most notably the inclusion of audyssey multeq xt32. I haven't looked too much into exactly what that means, but apparently it's something pretty sweet =^P Unless someone talks me out of it and talks me into something 'better', it's most likely the one I will be getting. I'm just not ready to go for amps/preamps yet.

Everything that I've read about the 818 has people excited, most notably the inclusion of audyssey multeq xt32. I haven't looked too much into exactly what that means, but apparently it's something pretty sweet =^P Unless someone talks me out of it and talks me into something 'better', it's most likely the one I will be getting. I'm just not ready to go for amps/preamps yet.

Well, I was looking at their amps out of curiosity, and it's only 150 watts per channel for well over $1,000... unless I'm mising something, you can get an entire THX RECEIVER for around that price that already powers every channel at 135 watts!?

Yeah, that's why I'm going to stick with the AVR for now, I just can't afford to go preamp/amp at this time...

Hold on, on the features page of the upcoming new TX-NR818 it says "Digital crossover processing, front channel bi-amping capability," so, does that mean the existing amp in the Receiver and the external dedicated amp would COMBINE (135 + 150)? If that's the case, then it would be pretty awesome to truly push your home theater to the max and squeeze out all of the potential from Klipsch! This TX-NR818 only offers external amp for the front two-channels, which kind of makes sense anyway to push more power there for both movies and music (especially with the RF-82 system I want to get).

By the way... here's a little description fo the Audyssey 2EQ Dynamic Volume, I don't understand the first point made: http://www.onkyousa.com/popup.cfm?id=129

As far as I know, if you are using a separate amp, you wouldn't be using the one in the 818. You may be able to use both at the same time, but you wouldn't want to plug them into the same speakers. I'm not sure if the 818 has preamp outs tho...

They can't be 'bridged' like car speakers/subwoofer to double up/combine on power?

It says "Digital crossover processing, front channel bi-amping capability," for the TX-NR818, and since it already powers all channels for the 7.2 surround, I would assume "Bi-Amping" means two amps?

Anyway, I looked up the Audyssey MultEQ for you, it appears it actually detects and automatically adjusts for the best sonic reproduction in your room somehow. You can read all about the features here from the company and let me know your thoughts... http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

*The MultEQ that comes with the TX-NR818 only comes with "MultEQ 2EQ" their weakest offering which doesn't adjust for the subwoofer or any other low-pass frequency. Oh well, I guess some is better than none.

Features MultEQ XT32 MultEQ XT MultEQ 2EQ
Filter resolution (satellites) 512x 16x 2x x
Filter resolution (subwoofer) 512x 128x 128x N/A
Number of Measurement Positions 8* 8* 6 3
Adaptive Low Frequency Correction Yes Yes Yes N/A
Crossover, Polarity, Delays, Levels Yes Yes Yes Yes

I know "retail" is a generic term, and MSRP varies WILDLY from what sellers actually list items for and ultimately sell them for (even "Authorized" sellers have drastically different prices, and I'm sure the reason you get a better deal if you CALL rather than email or search Amazon etc is because they "have" to stay in a certain range of Klipsch-set price protection to maintain/keep their Authorized status)... but it seems like a lot of companies kind of wiggle around a lot offering 'free' subwoofers or 'free' bluray etc.

RF-82: For example, here are a couple Authorized Website that sell the complete system (no corny free subwoofers, all Klipsch matching components):
1. Acoustic Sound Design $2,895 (link HERE)
2. Sound Distributors $2,895 (link HERE)
Then... #3 below sells their system for MORE than it's even listed for right on Klipsch's website!?
3. Audioholics for an outrageous $3,499 (link HERE)

And here's my favorite (haha!) a "new" Klipsch RF-82 5.1 Home Theater System with a free Sub AND BluRay for..... (wait for it) $510!! Check out the link to this surely "reputable" website HERE

Bi-amping doesn't really mean 2 amps. It means taking the back 2 channels and using them to power the front speakers as well as the front 2 channels. The purpose of this is so you can take the little binding post off of the speakers and power the tweeters and subs in the fronts separately. From what I've read on people's reviews, the fronts sound a little better by doing this. Since you are only going to have a 5.1 system, you will have the option of doing this with your AVR. The 818 has the MultEQ XT32, not the MultiEQ 2EQ, not sure where you read that. I know the basic idea of Audyssey, I just wasn't sure the benefit of the XT32, but it looks like it should be more accurate. As far as the pricing you posted, I found the cheapest price on my setup from audioholics, but I emailed them. Maybe I should have called all of these to see if the quote would have been cheaper...For that last link you posted...hrmm...might check out the BBB to see if they are listed and if they have any reviews...

I enjoyed how the website had a retail price of 0.00 for the RF-82 system that was crossed out, with the 510 right under it. I would rather take the 0.00 price :).

I have have been getting lucky, because in the last few months, I have bought used speakers from three different people, and each time has been just a fantastic experience talking with others. And the amount I paid for these speakers is ridiculously low compared to what I would have spent had I bought new, from anywhere. I would keep an eye on Audiogon and try and be patient. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a pair of RF-7ii's for just a few hundred more than you would spend on a pair of RF-82ii's or even a pair of used RF-83's would usually run you about the same as a pair of new RF-82ii's and both are a lot more speaker. And if you are feeling lucky, people have found some amazing deals on Craigslist. Sometimes people don't know the worth of what they have, so they put a steal up.

I am inclined to agree with Subxero as well on the seperates. Just keep an eye out and consider going used, as you will most definitely get a lot more bang for your buck. The $3,000 you wanted to spend could very easily turn into a $6,000 system and would be much more future proof and save even more money in the future, not to mention keeping you from getting the upgrade fever and the "what if's".

I say it all the time, and it would have saved me a ton of money if I did it first, but you should spend some time at a brick-and-mortar store and listen to the speakers enough till you know what you are looking for, and keep an eye out for deals on used stuff.

Keep an eye on your local craigslist ads. The Garage Sale thread on this forum usually has some very good prices in it. Audiogon.com has a ton of stuff. There are some forums at avsforum.com for selling and buying. And I have also been keeping an eye on the Emporium forum at Emotiva.com, they seem to have some pretty good stuff there. If it's been a while and you still can't find anything, post a wanted ad on the garage sale thread here. I just put a wanted up for some RS-62s, was quickly contacted by celsoguim who had some new in box at an excellent price, and he has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. I think you will be surprised at what you can find with a little patience.

When it comes to electronics I just don't buy used. Just a personal preference. I'm glad you are finding what you want tho.

Buying new is all about peace of mind and warranty, and that's a very good thing. Also no one elses grubby hands have been on it.[+o(]

On the other hand, I would never have been able to get my hands on a $3300.00 Revel B15 subwoofer for $450.00 if I looked only for new gear.[Y] As mentioned, buying used is sometimes a gamble but of all the used gear I have bought(over 120 pieces), only (5) have been to the repair shop with a total of less than $500.00 for repairs. The savings I have benefited from totals about 20 times that amount.[:D]

Bill