Home Theater Ponderings: 5.1 Receiver, Speakers, Wireless Rear & Woofer

AudioAddicted

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bi-amping doesn't really mean 2 amps. It means taking the back 2 channels and using them to power the front speakers as well as the front 2 channels. The purpose of this is so you can take the little binding post off of the speakers and power the tweeters and subs in the fronts separately. From what I've read on people's reviews, the fronts sound a little better by doing this. Since you are only going to have a 5.1 system, you will have the option of doing this with your AVR. The 818 has the MultEQ XT32, not the MultiEQ 2EQ, not sure where you read that. I know the basic idea of Audyssey, I just wasn't sure the benefit of the XT32, but it looks like it should be more accurate. As far as the pricing you posted, I found the cheapest price on my setup from audioholics, but I emailed them. Maybe I should have called all of these to see if the quote would have been cheaper...For that last link you posted...hrmm...might check out the BBB to see if they are listed and if they have any reviews...

Ivanhurd, THANK YOU for the really detailed response, especially concerning the bi-amping. I did a little Google search and came up with a dedicated Wiki page, and it explained it like you did, but your explanation was much easier to understand.

Also, I'm happy to hear the MultEQ is the XT32 with some more robust options, I just saw under the product on the Onkyo website that the icon listed with all the other features was the Audyssey logo and it said 2EQ which threw me off. Really looks like now I'll be swayed toward purchasing this receiver... *I emailed Onkyo about when it will finally be released for sale, and haven't heard back yet. Depending on the ultimate price when it gets-to-market and there is competition I'd like to go with the newer and improved Onkyo because I want to keep this receiver for years to come!

Now, regarding the $500 (ha, still makes me laugh) RF-82 Klipsch system, I think it's pretty obvious it's a scam - the website looks like it was created by a 7 year old. Plus, being based in China mainland, I don't know if they would be on the BBB website.

PS: For $500, for a $3,000 home theater system, there is NO WAY Klipsch will honor the warranty, even if by some random miracle these speakers gets shipped all the way from China with no damage and they actually are real and new, and no refurbished knock-offs with cheap components!

I enjoyed how the website had a retail price of 0.00 for the RF-82 system that was crossed out, with the 510 right under it. I would rather take the 0.00 price :).

I have have been getting lucky, because in the last few months, I have bought used speakers from three different people, and each time has been just a fantastic experience talking with others. And the amount I paid for these speakers is ridiculously low compared to what I would have spent had I bought new, from anywhere. I would keep an eye on Audiogon and try and be patient. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a pair of RF-7ii's for just a few hundred more than you would spend on a pair of RF-82ii's or even a pair of used RF-83's would usually run you about the same as a pair of new RF-82ii's and both are a lot more speaker. And if you are feeling lucky, people have found some amazing deals on Craigslist. Sometimes people don't know the worth of what they have, so they put a steal up.

I am inclined to agree with Subxero as well on the seperates. Just keep an eye out and consider going used, as you will most definitely get a lot more bang for your buck. The $3,000 you wanted to spend could very easily turn into a $6,000 system and would be much more future proof and save even more money in the future, not to mention keeping you from getting the upgrade fever and the "what if's".

I say it all the time, and it would have saved me a ton of money if I did it first, but you should spend some time at a brick-and-mortar store and listen to the speakers enough till you know what you are looking for, and keep an eye out for deals on used stuff.

Keep an eye on your local craigslist ads. The Garage Sale thread on this forum usually has some very good prices in it. Audiogon.com has a ton of stuff. There are some forums at avsforum.com for selling and buying. And I have also been keeping an eye on the Emporium forum at Emotiva.com, they seem to have some pretty good stuff there. If it's been a while and you still can't find anything, post a wanted ad on the garage sale thread here. I just put a wanted up for some RS-62s, was quickly contacted by celsoguim who had some new in box at an excellent price, and he has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. I think you will be surprised at what you can find with a little patience.

HA, YEAH... $0.00 is just more appealing than even the 'ultra-low' $500. What a joke... c' mon Chinese, we know you think all of us Americans are brain-dead, and would wire you half a grand for this "steal" of a deal, but seriously? Put some time into your website, if it looks more legitimate you might be able to more successfully swindle us into Klipsch and other goodies!

As far as the quest for deals, the blueprint you laid out in your post above was pretty amazing - thank you for all of the thought! I didn't even know all of those resources existed, wow. I did try every single major city in my state yesterday on Craig's List, and only found silly little "Quintet" systems, and old dated speakers here and there, oh well.

As far as the "Wanted" ads, that's a GREAT idea - it would work on forums, as well as Craig's List - I really like that advice! WANTED: Price matching on domestic RF-82/RF-7II system from Chinese Website, HAHAHAHA!!

When it comes to electronics I just don't buy used. Just a personal preference. I'm glad you are finding what you want tho.

Buying new is all about peace of mind and warranty, and that's a very good thing. Also no one elses grubby hands have been on it.Ick!

On the other hand, I would never have been able to get my hands on a $3300.00 Revel B15 subwoofer for $450.00 if I looked only for new gear.Yes As mentioned, buying used is sometimes a gamble but of all the used gear I have bought(over 120 pieces), only (5) have been to the repair shop with a total of less than $500.00 for repairs. The savings I have benefited from totals about 20 times that amount.Big Smile

Bill

VERY good points by you, and by Ivan - thanks fellas! I think it all comes down to visiting the person's home (when applicable) and listening to and really reviwing every inch of the components you're thinking about purchasing. I, on the other hand, love to save money... but, I admit I am slightly more inclined to buy new for the ease of mind, and the 5 year warranty; plus, not that I by ANY means have the ability or desire to 'waste' money, but if this big promotion goes through I've been waiting to hear about for a week now... then I'll have the income to buy something very good, from an authorized dealer.

PLUS... as I will talk more about soon in a dedicated post in this thread today, I finally did contact Mike from Acoustic Sound Design, and W-O-W!!! He is both an awesome salesman, and willing to work out a value that is literally UNTOUCHABLE by any other retailer out there (I checked)! I was blown away.

PS: For $500, for a $3,000 home theater system, there is NO WAY Klipsch will honor the warranty, even if by some random miracle these speakers gets shipped all the way from China with no damage and they actually are real and new, and no refurbished knock-offs with cheap components!

Klipsch warranty will honor any price you pay as long as it's an AUTHORIZED online dealer and a 1st qualty item.

Hi gents,

Just wanted to offer a little update and STRONG recommendation to echo many other member's sentiments here to CALL MIKE from Acoustic Sound Design directly! I kept being told to do so, and now I KNOW WHY! He was educated, helpful, and spent at least 10-15 minutes answering my questions in a very straightfoward way. He was not pushy in any way, and understood that I wasn't ready to purchase at the moment - and STILL offered me HANDS DOWN THE SINGLE BEST PRICE I HAVE SEEN ONLINE OR EVEN BEEN OFFERED BY CONTACTING OTHER DEALERS DIRECTLY (it wasn't even close)!!!!!

He explained to me their website is Klipsch's #1 volume dealer, and did $7,000,000 in sales last year on their brand alone - so now I see how they can offer such pleasing deals.

In conclusion, although I haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase yet, I have to say I felt more than good about our talk and the way he handled himself and represented his business... so a BIG SINCERE suggestion to contact Mike at Acoustic Sound Design before you buy ANYTHING regarding audio, PERIOD.

PS: I also contacted Sound Distributors, and they were much more on their 'bottom line deal' than Acoustic Sound Design, and then told me they didn't mind that I was going with Acoustic Sound Design, because "Those companies work together." I'm not sure what that meant, but are these two sites the same company, and if so, why did one undersale the other by so much, and why would one company roll over and give up on negotiating if they were the same company? NONE of that made sense to me whatsoever.

PPS: Sorry, I cannot disclose any information of the deal Mike and I worked out, as he asked me not to, and I agreed.

PPPS: As always, I am a research fanatic... and I say this with ZERO background knowledge, and also realizing bad things can always happen to good companies, but with that being said there are also some V-E-R-Y bad reviews about Acoustic Sound Design (and the owner/only employee from what I understand Mike Embers) on the Internet. Here are some at this link http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Acoustic_Sound_Design Since I haven't purchased yet, only had one conversation with him, I can't comment one way or the other. However, I have had some bad experiences with companies charging cancellation fees and 'restocking' (made up) fees on orders in the past that really kept me from ever doing business with them again; I hope the complaints online aren't true, but many of them are posted as recently as last month. I also want to add another review site that has a better balance of positive to negative reviews: http://www.epinions.com/Acoustic_Sound_Design_Online_Stores_and_Services/sec_~survey_list/display_~reviews/pp_~2?sb=1 Just a side note. I will of course update this thread (and many others I'm sure) after my ultimate purchase with honest and objective feedback! :)For now... INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE, haha, I'm still greatly looking forward to dealing with Mike Embers at Acoustic Sound Design.

Klipsch warranty will honor any price you pay as long as it's an AUTHORIZED online dealer and a 1st qualty item.

Good info! Haha, I doubt the Chinese website without a URL address that looked like the alphabet selling their speakers for THOUSANDS below retail would be an Authorized Retailer [:|]

*BY THE WAY... in case anyone has been following along on this thread, or not, and you're not sure what we're talking about here are the links to two "different" (they are obviously the same) websites based in China that are selling the amazing Klipsch RF-7II's for about $500 (no, that's not a typo... but it's also HIGHLY likely this is an obvious scam to swindle silly overseas knuckle-heads out of $500 for either absolutely nothing in return, or some assortment of refurbished junk with zero warranty and serial-numbers scratched out!)

1. http://good.winbootsugg.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8090&offer_id=B005K1NKHO

2. http://us.toolscameras.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12073&offer_id=B005J6W1T8

One thing that does stand out as odd to me, which maybe it's normal as I'm definitely no expert, is that these companies pull right up in Google Shopping - but, I'm positive Google doesn't devote any of it's resources to making sure their results are reputable. So, there it is... if you're feeling lucky and you want a $6,000 system for $500, and have $500 to blow in case it's just a scam, let us know how it works out for you ;)

Just wanted to offer a little update and STRONG recommendation to echo many other member's sentiments here to CALL MIKE from Acoustic Sound Design directly! I

You should have done that 4 pages ago! [Y]

PPS: Sorry, I cannot disclose any information of the deal Mike and I worked out, as he asked me not to, and I agreed

Very admirable!

PPPS: As always, I am a research fanatic... and I say this with ZERO background knowledge, and also realizing bad things can always happen to good companies, but with that being said there are also some V-E-R-Y bad reviews about Acoustic Sound Design (and the owner/only employee from what I understand Mike Embers) on the Internet.

Lower overhead equals better pricing. I think you can find some bad reviews on just about anything if you do enough searching.

With that being said,

I really admire your enthusiasm but IMHO I really think you are over analyzing your upcoming purchase. Granted it's a decision you will have to endure but set your goal, decide what you will pay for that goal and enjoy!

Just wanted to offer a little update and STRONG recommendation to echo many other member's sentiments here to CALL MIKE from Acoustic Sound Design directly! I

You should have done that 4 pages ago! Yes

PPS: Sorry, I cannot disclose any information of the deal Mike and I worked out, as he asked me not to, and I agreed

Very admirable!

PPPS: As always, I am a research fanatic... and I say this with ZERO background knowledge, and also realizing bad things can always happen to good companies, but with that being said there are also some V-E-R-Y bad reviews about Acoustic Sound Design (and the owner/only employee from what I understand Mike Embers) on the Internet.

Lower overhead equals better pricing. I think you can find some bad reviews on just about anything if you do enough searching.

With that being said,

I really admire your enthusiasm but IMHO I really think you are over analyzing your upcoming purchase. Granted it's a decision you will have to endure but set your goal, decide what you will pay for that goal and enjoy! Beer

Hey, thanks for the post. Haha, I agree with you 101% about over-analyzing. I am actually an analyst at my previous career ;) Anyway, although it seems like I am over-analyzing, I'm DEAD CERTAIN and DECIDED upon purchasing the Klipsch (and full system I posted a couple days back) - I am just continuing to look around and research because it's fun, that's seriously all. I'm not second guessing anything, I am honestly just sharing all my feedback and information I gather for the benefit of others in the future as they Google or come across this thread for their own purposes of a purchase once this thread is 'dead' and gone :)

Plus, I like forums and getting new ideas and meeting new informative nice people, it's as much a part of the community as the forum itself. So, I spent a lot of time around the 'net on other forums too, especially in my number one passion which is competitive bodybuilding, followed closely by my admiration for muscle cars and professional detailing (I finally purchased my dream car and fully modified it from the engine out last year)! :)

Just remember your experience with Mike over the phone. Dude is genuine and Klipsch wouldn't authorize him if he treated there customers like garbage. That's why several of us pointed you there. Only problem I had with the transaction was my lack of patience. FLAWLESS transaction and amazing price that beats everyone. That's why I and others pointed you there.

Ignore the couple bad reviews as margine of error. Which is slim to none...

Just remember your experience with Mike over the phone. Dude is genuine and Klipsch wouldn't authorize him if he treated there customers like garbage. That's why several of us pointed you there. Only problem I had with the transaction was my lack of patience. FLAWLESS transaction and amazing price that beats everyone. That's why I and others pointed you there.

Ignore the couple bad reviews as margine of error. Which is slim to none...

RIGHT YOU ARE, and none of those reviews in any way dissauded me from doing business with Mike in the slightest!

Actually, I am totally aware people are absolutely uncalled for and certainly unreasonable when it comes to doing business a lot of the time anyway - and on top of that, they only take time to whine and groan when the experience was horrible, leaving the I'm sure thousands of other satisfied customers' voices silenced by contrast over the Internet after buying from Mike.

Just to add a little more to my ecstatic review of my experience thus far with Mike and his company above, I'd also like to post an OUTSTANDING review of Acoustic Sound Design right here for everyone to read, it's a really encouraging link that basically echoes what everyone else here believes it sounds like! Read it here... http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/04/acousticsounddesign-customer-service-review/ :)

• 3 months later...

Hiya guys, I'm "back" and glad to be so! Please forgive my duplicate post from another section of the forum, but I'm only 'active' in 2 or 3 threads and wanted to cover my bases, thanks everyone!

I ended up getting a
new vehicle a few months back when I was deep in research on the new 5.1
system I wanted to get. I am still totally convinced I'll be going with
Klipsch, just unsure if I still want to devote a couple/few thousands
of dollars toward the speakers now... or if I should get something more
conservative that will still be a huge improvement on my setup now, and
wait a couple years until Klipsch releases something brand new and
ground breaking that is perhaps still in research and development right
now?

Does anyone know if they have anything new on the horizon? Thanks as always gents.

Just out of curiosity... what would be the ABSOLUTE BEST 5.1 system I could get for "around" $2,000? :)