SPL meters...???

IndyKlipschFan

I saw two versions at Radio Shack..

One for 39 dollars... Analog.

Second one for 59 dollars... Digital, more features.

Any thoughts either way NOT looking at the price which one is better? Looking to use them to get a proper HT setup for all the speakers. Thanks.

PS. (I am always willing to pay more for quality, if it makes sense in the long run.)

Thank you for your suggestions.

DON'T buy the digital meter as it does not have a fine enough scale. You would be better off with the analog meter.. I remember reading on a web site that the radio shack spl meter was not linear in the low frequencies, that is the low frequencies do not measure properly, but alas, there is a chart to make your readings correct. Will find out and post the chart.

The Radio Shack SPL Meter is a good buy as SPL meters go... but it's beneficial range is approximately 40Hz to 15KHz... and that is fine for most speaker calibration purposes. For greater accuracy or setting up an EQ, a compensation chart is available at the SVS website.

The digital unit, as I recall, grabs and holds the highest frequency value... and that is not necessarily the correct value. The analog one shows a wavering needle... and the value you want is the average high that is approximated by that needle.

Remember, once you being with one main speaker on which you raise the volume of a test tone on a set-up disk until it is averaging 75Hz... then you will be adjusting the balance of the speakers through adjustments in your pre-amp to average 75Hz.

Thus, as you raise and lower your main volume control, each speaker will be raised or lowered appropriately to keep your speakers in balance. Obviously, it would be very awkward to try to indicate to the digital meter just what frequencies to keep and which to throw out of the desired average.

Also, walking about the room with an analog meter will tend to reveal variations in the sound pressure level that would indicate standing waves or other audio anomalies.

Isn't it great... every once in a while cheaper is better! -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-17-2002 at 07:55 AM

The sky's the limit for SPL meters. I have seen $1,000+ units and ones for laptops (a mic + software).

I have the Rat Shack analouge meter and I love it. It works well enough FOR YOUR EARS, it isn't up to a lab, though.

Buy one, it is the uttimate tool.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Hey this is VERY good information to know. I would have though a digital meter would have been more accurate. I am glad I didn't get one a few weeks back when I was going to. cwm1.gif

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

thanks doug & ed. i didn't know 'bout that compensation for my rat shack analog. explains why my bass is a lil heavy (not that i mind too much Smile.gif).

per b&k the sub test tone is at 30hz so i need to add about 3db. not only that but the needle bounces a lot on the sub tone & i tend to use the higher reading. Smile.gif

might be good to find out at what freq your sub tones are. sounds like they can vary. d/k on avia.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Proud to say I'm the owner of a late seventies H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer. I've never seen anyone else with one of these. It's about the size of a large cassette deck, probably 4U in hieght. The LED's on this thing are rather strange. They sort of resemble the standard cheap little analyzers you see on some cheaper EQ's. But it's only two LED's that light up at the peak of each measured output frequency. I say "two" LEDs because, well, look at it this way. If you did the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" song with your hands that would give you a good idea. The bottom led would not turn off at the exact same time the next measured segment above it would turn on. Kinda like a Slinky going up a flight of stairs. Wish I could describe it better. It is really cool though. Paid only a C-note for it in 1984 and was told they sold for about $1,000, got the original mic but no box.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-17-2002 at 09:37 AM

If you are looking to analyze your room, I'd suggest getting a test disk such as the test CD from Stryke (www.stryke.com). It's pretty interesting to plot your SPLs at the various frequencies, all the way down to 10hz, if your sub can handle it.

Also, there is a mod to the Radio Shack analog SPL meter that permanently corrects it, if you're handy with a soldering pencil:

http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/rsmeter/33-2050/33-2050.html

------------------

My System

Just wanted to say WOW it does make a huge difference.. 9 speakers...I just need a sub. Left K horn center..rt k horn 2 speakers per side..2 rears... Klipsch all around...OMG I am in heaven with the Denon 3802. Any ideas for a sub with the k horns?

Ah, yes... IndyKlipschFan that brings up the mega-buck$ limbo-bass question..."How low do you want to go?"

Paul W. Klipsch, as I understand it, designed the Klipschorn to provide the full spectrum of classical music that was his passion. And, truthfully, there is relatively few instances where classical music dips below 35Hz. Of course, having a subwoofer that is quick enough and deep-enough to complement the mighty K-Horn is no easy task.

I have yet to try an RSW-15 (which gets great reviews!) but I will tell you that my KSW-15 is no match for my K-Horns. After testing and rejecting many sub-standard subs... I have found that SVS Ultras (particularly with the SS driver and tuned to below 20Hz and powered by a 1,000 watt pro amp) does a majestic and transparent Heritage quality performance that will make your jaw drop in awe day-in and day-out SPL production!

Of course, the RSW-15 has a low distortion BASH amp and is rated by Klipsch as covering 30-110Hz and can crank 30Hz SPL's up to 121 dB... no mean feat with 650 watts! But, since the K-Horn goes down to 35Hz with fully loaded horn clarity... a deeper diving sub would seem to be in order. -HornED

PS: I suspect that an elegantly configured DIY Sonotube like that built by Mlstrass may also serve for the frugal and woodshop worthy... but even with free, expert labor it would take about $1k. The SVS route is a bit over $2k. From there, the price of an "adequate" sub really gets pricey... with sometimes less performance! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-20-2002 at 02:42 PM