What HT-system: RF-83, RF-63 or RF-82 MK2

Harryn

Hi,

I'm from the Netherlands and I want to upgrade my current HT-system. At the moment I'm running JBL Northridge 7.1. I've been listening to a lot of speakers the last couple of weeks, and I love the sound of Klipsch, better than anything else I've heard except maybe from Paradigm. But a system from Paradigm is much more expensive over here, and the difference in sound is too small for spending the extra money imo.

Unfortunately I have not been able to listen to the RF-83, RF-82 MK2 and RF-63 in a direct comparison. Seperately they all sounded very good to me, but I only could listen to them in different soundstudios. After listening I put 3 sets together:

System 1:

RF 83 fronts - RC 64 center - RS 62 surround - 12d sub

System 2:

RF 63 fronts - RC 64 center - RS 62 surround - 12d sub

System 3 (current models):

RF 82 II fronts - RC 62 II center - RS 42 II surround - 12d sub

The price of a system ain't an issue as all three almost cost the same, around $ 3000,-. Only a RF-7 system (even a used one) is much more expensive and therefore not an option. The RF-82 is quite a bargain right now, but how much better is the RF-82 II? The guys from the Hifi store where I heard the RF-82 said the difference is only cosmetic and that there's no difference in sound. But that's big contrast with what I've read in reviews.

What are the sound differences between the speakers mentioned in this post?

My question to you all, which one would be the best pick? I love clear bright highs and good mids, but I dislike shrillness. I listen to any kind of music. My room is around 40 m2 and well damped with carpet on the floor and heavy curtains. The amp running the fronts will be a Yamaha AX-1070 stereo amplifier, the whole system will be driven by a Yamaha RX-A3010. I was able to hear the speakers with Yamaha receivers and loved it.

Hopefully you can help me! Thanks!

Harry

Harry,

Welcome to the forum.

System 1:

RF 83 fronts - RC 64 center - RS 62 surround - 12d sub

System 2:

RF 63 fronts - RC 64 center - RS 62 surround - 12d sub

System 3:

RF 82 II fronts - RC 62 II center - RS 42 II surround - 12d sub

The price of the system ain't an issue as all three almost cost the same, around $ 3000,-.

So my question to you all, which one would be the best pick?

If they all cost about the same, my choices are the obvious, System 1, System 2, System 3, in that order.

Bill

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah they are:

System 1 = $ 3200

System 2 = $ 3100

System 3 = $ 2900

But the RF-82 II is the current topmodel (except the RF-7 II) and an upgrade from the RF-82. So you say the older RF-83 is still superior to the other 2? But why, what's the big difference?

But the RF-82 II is the current topmodel (except the RF-7 II) and an upgrade from the RF-82. So you say the older RF-83 is still superior to the other 2? But why, what's the big difference?

IMO, the RF-83's are a marginal upgrade(no offense to 83 owners) over the RF-63's which are a considerable upgrade over the RF-82's(have not heard the 82ii's). The RF-83 and RF-63 have better components and are manufactured with real wood veneers in Hope, Arkansas. I really do think you would be much happier with either the RF-83's or RF-63's over the RF-82ii's. The RC-64 also is made with real wood veneers and in Hope and is a beast of a center channel that easily trumps the RC-62ii. Same with the RS-62's, bigger and better overall.

Bill

IMO, the RF-83's are a marginal upgrade(no offense to 83 owners) over the RF-63's which are a considerable upgrade over the RF-82's(have not heard the 82ii's). The RF-83 and RF-63 have better components and are manufactured with real wood veneers in Hope, Arkansas. I really do think you would be much happier with either the RF-83's or RF-63's over the RF-82ii's. The RC-64 also is made with real wood veneers and in Hope and is a beast of a center channel that easily trumps the RC-62ii. Same with the RS-62's, bigger and better overall.

Bill

Wow thanks Bill, that's helping a lot because this means I can skip the RF-82 II system from my list.

In an German review they rated RF-83 slightly higher than the RF-63, by just one point the RF-83 won the test. But I couldn't find the reason why as the review wasn't completely available, I could only read the highlights. But I've read elsewhere there seem to be some tonal differences though. Like the RF-63 should be a bit smoother? And if so, what does that mean anyway?

Like I said, I dislike the highs sounding shrill, grainy or harsh, but I also like it to be clear and bright. I visit a lot of pop/rockconcerts and I would like to have my sound at home to be as I experience on a concert. I want music to hear as it is, not warm coloured (too much) like most English speakers do for instance. I even disliked the highly rated Monitor Audio GX and RX series as they sounded to soft and distant to me... I want it straight forward and directly in my face.

I really enjoyed my RF-83s and would highly recommend them. That being said, I wouldn't rule out the RF-63s either. I have heard them as well and they sound very good too. I would go with the best deal you can find if it were between those two. I just got the "Upgrade Bug" and sold all my gear to get the RF-7ii and RC-64ii which would still fit in your budget by the way, if you were willing to hold off on the surrounds and sub. 3k shipped for front stage, A-grade.

I have not heard the RF-82iis so I cannot comment on them from personal experience but just by looking, I would imagine that you would be happier with RF-63s or 83s. Good luck with your decision!

I really enjoyed my RF-83s and would highly recommend them. That being said, I wouldn't rule out the RF-63s either. I have heard them as well and they sound very good too. I would go with the best deal you can find if it were between those two. I just got the "Upgrade Bug" and sold all my gear to get the RF-7ii and RC-64ii which would still fit in your budget by the way, if you were willing to hold off on the surrounds and sub. 3k shipped for front stage, A-grade.

I have not heard the RF-82iis so I cannot comment on them from personal experience but just by looking, I would imagine that you would be happier with RF-63s or 83s. Good luck with your decision!

I know all about the upgrade bug. That's why I'm here now. ;)

Over here, a pair of RF-7 II and a RC-64 II costs over $ 4400,-. So much more expensive than a complete set with the discontinued RF-83, and that's why I rule them out. If the difference wasn't that big I would certainly consider it. I'm gonna stick with the budget now, I already stretched it with $ 700,- because I love the Klipsch-sound. haha

As for the best deal, the tendency here in the Netherlands is that the RF-63 is more expensive as the RF-83. I don't know why, maybe because it's a bit smaller...

Wow thanks Bill, that's helping a lot because this means I can skip the RF-82 II system from my list.

Glad to help.

But I've read elsewhere there seem to be some tonal differences though. Like the RF-63 should be a bit smoother? And if so, what does that mean anyway?

What they might mean is that with the (3) 6.5 inch woofers, the crossover to the 1.25 inch horn tweeters will be smoother and a bit more seamless with the RF-63's over the RF-83's with (3) 8 inch woofers. It does make sense though. The RF-83's do have a bit more presence than the RF-63's, you know, that "in your face" effect which many really enjoy with HT.

Bill

• Moderators

IMO, the RF-83's are a marginal upgrade(no offense to 83 owners) over the RF-63's

Well I'm offended! [:P]

I have the RF-83's and I have heard Bill's RF-63's. You would likely be happy with either. I haven't heard the RF-63's without a sub but I can tell you the RF-83's pound some serious bass without a sub. I would not think there would be HUGE differences in the sound of the RF-63 and RF-83. If it were me, I would choose whichever I could get the best deal on.

IMO, the RF-83's are a marginal upgrade(no offense to 83 owners) over the RF-63's

Well I'm offended! Stick out tongue

I have the RF-83's and I have heard Bill's RF-63's. You would likely be happy with either. I haven't heard the RF-63's without a sub but I can tell you the RF-83's pound some serious bass without a sub. I would not think there would be HUGE differences in the sound of the RF-63 and RF-83. If it were me, I would choose whichever I could get the best deal on.

I would be offended too. [:P] haha

Like I said the systems cost about the same. So what matters to me is just what's the best speaker and why? And for instance, which one is the best allrounder, most versatile with music? How are they with classic, with rock, pop, jazz etc.? About the same or is one standing out a bit above the other?

Thank you guys for replying, I really appreciate your input!

• Moderators

If it were me and price was the same, I would choose the RF-83 over the RF-63. If there was a $1000 difference, I would choose the less expensive option because I do not believe you can hear $1000 worth of differences between the two. Hope that helps.

If it were me and price was the same, I would choose the RF-83 over the RF-63. If there was a $1000 difference, I would choose the less expensive option because I do not believe you can hear $1000 worth of differences between the two. Hope that helps.

Well the 83 and 63 cost the same. So in this case it's just a matter of what's the best speaker of these two. [:D]

I paid $2500 for my rf7ii front 3.... Add in the rs62's and the price is close

Yeah in America that are the prices, but I'm in Europe, the Netherlands.

The RF-7 II is for sale at $ 1700,- each and that's the best deal, some sellers ask over $ 2000,- each.

The RC-62 II costs around $ 1100,- over here.

Well the 83 and 63 cost the same. So in this case it's just a matter of what's the best speaker of these two. Big Smile

I love my RF-63's and have no reason to "upgrade" to the RF-83's or RF-7's. It is not a $$$ issue because I have passed on some incredible deals on RF-7's in my area. I just love the RF-63's that much. If a deal came along for some cherry RF-83's and I could do an even swap with my RF-63's, I would hesitate some but would probably make that change to RF-83's. I just added an incredibly musical Revel B15 subwoofer and now my RF-63's have that "bigger presence" that I like about the RF-83's.

You really can't go wrong with either the RF-63's or RF-83's but I think you will be more pleased going the "bigger is better" route with the 83's.

Bill

I'm leaning much towards the RF-83's now. And as I lived in TX for a couple of years, I am gifted with the bigger the better thought. haha

I just noticed there's a package deal for sale here now, used units though: a pair of RF-3 fronts with a RC-3 center for $ 450,-. How's that for a deal and how do they compare to the 83's?

I'm leaning much towards the RF-83's now. And as I lived in TX for a couple of years, I am gifted with the bigger the better thought. haha

I just noticed there's a package deal for sale here now, used units though: a pair of RF-3 fronts with a RC-3 center for $ 450,-. How's that for a deal and how do they compare to the 83's?

That sounds like a pretty good deal but I do think you'd be much happier with the RF-83s/RC-64. If you got the RF-3s/RC-3 you will more than likely end up upgrading and you would have been better off just getting what you really wanted in the first place. That's my opinion and I tend to do that with everything, not just speakers. I am building a 69 Camaro and spent WAY too much $ on my Forgeline wheels, but I knew I would eventually buy them anyways so why not just get what you want from the get go. I had to save up and wait a while to get them but was sooo worth it!

450 for those 3 is ok, recently sold a set of 3 for 400, they dont really compare to the 83s at all, smaller, harsh, tinny, and far less headroom

however if you want to use something right away its a great entry into setting something up and some maybe perfectly happy as it beats the heck out of any ht box set