K69 compared to TAD 4002

Coytee

I figured I'd show a side by side since I don't think anyone has done that yet.

The TAD's arrived without the mounting studs so I was trying to improvise with a 1/4" screw which would have worked....but I finally needed to use a hex head bolt so I could add a little torque to it.

Straight on shot

post-15072-13819686371164_thumb.jpg

I have a K69A on my 510, which seems to be ok. What is the difference, or benefits of going with this TAD. Also what is the exact part number?

It is not a Klipsch part. It is made by TAD and costs an arm and a leg.

For my K-510 horn, I splurged and use a JBL 2446 driver. It sounds pretty good in my two-way setup.

If I recall, you are using a three-way system, so there are a number of less expensive alternatives. However, if money is no problem .....

-Tom

• Moderators

I have a K69A on my 510, which seems to be ok. What is the difference, or benefits of going with this TAD. Also what is the exact part number?

To me the TAD was more detailed and cleaner, clearer, hard to explain but you get the idea. Not always available either your lucky to even find a pair.

I'm not sure but the part # should a $ or two in it somewhere ? [:$]

Very good but not cheap, I completely understand why some people have used them as replacements. [8][Y]

What is the difference, or benefits of going with this TAD?

It's a pretty enormous difference actually, but we typically don't talk about it since it is also an expensive driver relative to the very low-priced P.Audio and Klipsch drivers that are supplied from the factory. It's usually just whispered about in mixed settings. But note: relative to the price that people pay for expensive electronics (for instance--tubes/valves), it's the best audio investment that I've made.

(EDIT: 17 Oct. 2018) I recommend a BMS 4592ND (dual diaphragm) compression driver for those wanting to save significant money on over the TADs or Radian beryllium diaphragm drivers.  I also recommend bi-amping the two diaphragms and not using the available passive crossover supplied by BMS.

Also what is the exact part number?

TAD TD-4002.

Chris

The TAD driver looks like it has a recommended xover point of 600hz using an 18db per octave xover

...for commercial applications using extremely high average SPLs. I cross my TADs over at ~400 Hz using 24+ 450 Hz using 12 dB/octave Bessel filters for lowest phase/group delay growth.  But note that I'm not using those drivers at 110 dB+ (average) in my home.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I cross my TADs over at ~400 Hz using 24+ dB/octave per recommended settings from Roy Delgado.

Thats good.....emphasis on the 24db per octave xover....I wouldn't recommend it with a 12 or 18 db per octave xover.

Geepers - those are amazing!!!! Turbox, what speaker are you using your K69a/K510 with? I have three of those combos here, maybe try a swap on LS?? But then it'd take the same processing power and biamping that a Jubilee takes won't it? Or is there simple passive network that does the trick? I have a couple of the 1133's here, never figured out what to use them on.

I have a couple of the 1133's here, never figured out what to use them on.

They are very flexible drivers......the flat 1133 with the phase plug will reach 20khz. The 1132 without the phase plug but with the snout is good for 12khz. same diaphragm and magnet assembly. 1133 is great for 2 way. 1132 for 3 or 4 way.

Guest Anonymous

Trying not to run before i walk but...Currently i have them on my Belle LF bin, using K-510/K69A and a K-703/K70G using a passive in a three way setup. Sounds ok for me now. Sadly, i have at least another two weeks to wait before my Jubilee Bins arrive.

The 1132/1133 has a recommended xover point of 500hz using a 12db xover. I wonder how they would compare in a side by side sound off.

Note that Roy chose the K-69-A over the K-1132/1133 driver for the two-way Jub configuration.

TAD vs. K-69-A: There is more to this than FR and phase/frequency curves. I believe that you need to look the relative waterfall plots of the drivers. That's where the difference in listening performance really coincides with the difference in measurement performance. It's not a close contest in this case.

Chris

The K-1133 is a mid driver, the K-1132 is a high frequency driver.

I have found on my jubilees that the B&C D-75 driver which is used on many klipsch pro speakers bests the K-69 by quite bit. Also, there are active settings around to support the B&C driver with the 402 horn and jubilee bottom. There are no settings for the 510 when used with the B&C driver, but the 402 settings should be close enough to start with.

Note that Roy chose the K-69-A over the K-1132/1133 driver for the two-way Jub configuration.

definetley a cost consideration. A few bought the jub version with the k-402/1133 instead and paid the difference. the 1133's are about double the cost of the k-69.

The K-1133 is a mid driver, the K-1132 is a high frequency driver.

reverse that. the 1133 has a phse plug which takes it to 20khz. the 1132 has a snout which does wonders for the mid range, but limits the high end to 12khz.