Crown XTI 1000 Fan noise

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone have any quick solutions?

Yes - mount the amplifer(s) on a faceplate-high tilt, as if you are using a mobile professional mounting cabinet (like I use in my profile). The induced air convection from back to front cools the amp(s) enough to prevent the amp's fans from ever coming on at all - unless I'm playing at greater than 105 dB @ 3 meters.

Trust me: it works, and I probably live in warmer country than you do.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

it works, and I probably live in warmer country than you do.

no idea what your talking about...

Your welcome to come and visit anytime between december and March...Were pretty much snowed in most years...

Newegg sells fans, and you can narrow the selectrion down by CFM, db, and size. There are some very quiet fans available. I replaced the two 8cm fans on the side of my HT case, and it made a heck of a difference. Another thing you can do is put an auto fan controller on. I have both on my HT. My Crown AMP is noisey, but it is in the shop, so I hardly notice it.

edit: Here are the fans I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999199

24 cfm, 14 dba, no stupid lights

ENERMAX UC-8EB Case Fan

The XTi-1000 generates 930 BTU at 1/3 power of pink noise at 8 ohms. I can't find the data on the fan volume in these. If you have a thermometer, you can measure the temp coming out of the rear and see if she's running too hot. I'd bet the fans are fixed on high for extreme duty in high ambient temperature environments.

The only time my XTis fans come on is during the startup cycle, never while listening in the 3+ years I've owned them. These amps fans are variable speed and should not be running full blast with the speakers you are using, if at all. If I were you I would go onto the Crown website and see if there are firmware updates or settings you can adjust with System Architect. Temperatures can be read from the front panel display and I have never seen mine go over 35 deg. C.

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone have any quick solutions?

Yes - mount the amplifer(s) on a faceplate-high tilt, as if you are using a mobile professional mounting cabinet (like I use in my profile). The induced air convection from back to front cools the amp(s) enough to prevent the amp's fans from ever coming on at all - unless I'm playing at greater than 105 dB @ 3 meters.

Chris

Chris, this worked great, no fan noise. only fan i hear now is the PS3

• 11 years later...
On 1/24/2012 at 11:26 AM, Chris A said:

Chris

Can anyone explain what a faceplate-high tilt is?