Heresy III (latest version) modfication

AJR

It is the human ear which should make the final design decission not the measurement device.

In this regard, I leave you with one last thought: "You can't make what you can't measure because you don't know when you've got it made."

Hollow square (ish) boxes make bad speaker cabinets. To say otherwise is wrong.

They are not necessarily ideal, but as you say:

it did a reasonable job then and it still does today

So out of curiosity, why do you suppose Klipsch wouldn't include some bracing in the Heresy III. In a review at Audioholics a little while back, even a $300 bookshelf model, the RB-15, had a shelf brace and foam lining. I find it hard to believe that Klipsch is penny pinching on a model selling for 5x more.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know when I have done all that I want to do on a given design and I don't require a measurement to know. Measurements are a tool not the be all end all. Like I said you can't scratch your back for a few bucks in manufacturing. Seemingly small changes can and often do end up costing a lot more than you would imagine. The Heritage line is not nor has it been the mainstay for the company for a long time. The answer to your question is dollars and cents..

Here is a link to a thread here on the forum showing a nice DIY Cornwall build. I would expect that this cabinet easily outperforms a stock Cornwall. I don't need to hear it or measure it to know this. At the current retail of a Cornwall lll Klipsch cannot afford to build to this level, dollars and cents are the bottom line.You don't have to build very many cabinets to figure out that solid well braced cabinets are essential to acheiving excellence. Best regards Moray James.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/147639.aspx?PageIndex=2

I say go for it! Have fun! Provide pics! Just because someone wants to do something I wouldn't mess with doesn't mean that they shouldn't try. Even if a modification shows no improvement it would be nice to hear about.

I am delighted with my HII to HIII upgrade and probably the best thing I could do is build a decent room to put them in. Talk about your hollow boxes... I've got a horrible sounding cube of a living room so these are bedroom speakers now.

Keep having fun

Like I said you can't scratch your back for a few bucks in manufacturing. Seemingly small changes can and often do end up costing a lot more than you would imagine.

Do tell. I've seen some pictures of the production process of a Cornwall and I'd expect that of the Heresy isn't much different. Given that we're not really talking about retooling a mechanized assembly line so much as adding another step in the hand crafted production process, how much do you figure it'd add to the price tag of a Heresy to add some basic bracing?

How much you ask? More than Klipsch obviously want to spend on the Heresy 3 would be the best guess I can give you. They must feel that spending more on the Heresy would not yield them a reasonable return. They are better business men than I and I would expect that they are right. That does not mean that I can't spend the time and money to do the job they will not. The reason does not matter they have made a decission and so have I.

If you truly want to appreciate the manufacturing side of things start a company of your own and find out for yourself. I have done so a couple of times and it's a big task and not one I am all that tallented at either. Never the less a learning experience and worth the time. Best regards Moray James.

They must feel that spending more on the Heresy would not yield them a reasonable return.

Well I figured that much. But I'm questioning if they feel it is a matter of "too much money" (which I find hard to believe at this price point) or just that there simply isn't much to improve upon.

If you truly want to appreciate the manufacturing side of things start a company of your own and find out for yourself.

Nah, I'm satisfied with the products Klipsch puts out. That's why I keep buying em!