RF-82 II Home Theater Sys Vs. RB-82 II Home Theater Sys

JoeJoe

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if this is a ritual but this is "my 1st post". Anyhow, I was comparing the RF-82 II and the RB-82 II home theater systems and I noticed the RF-82s were priced cheaper because they lacked a subwoofer. My question is, do the RF-82s hit low enough to the point that a sub is not necessary? I am looking into purchasing a nice HTS and piecing it together slowly but surely. Thanks for helping out a "newbie"!

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if this is a ritual but this is "my 1st post". Anyhow, I was comparing the RF-82 II and the RB-82 II home theater systems and I noticed the RF-82s were priced cheaper because they lacked a subwoofer. My question is, do the RF-82s hit low enough to the point that a sub is not necessary? I am looking into purchasing a nice HTS and piecing it together slowly but surely. Thanks for helping out a "newbie"!

First of all welcome to the forum. Second to try and answer your question in most cases you are still going to want a subwoofer. However the RF-82s can dig pretty deep and go pretty low however it's almost always a necessity to have a standalone sub. Many factors can play into this though, the size of your room and what you will be using the system for (movies or music) for example. So it might help if you answer those 2 questions for us first, size of your room and what are you going to be using this system for. I can almost assure you though that you will be more pleased if you add a sub to this system regardless of your answers. I have the RF-62 system, they go pretty low and the 82s will go even lower however when I added a capable sub it's a whole other ballgame, I also have a fairly small space. I'm not a basshead by any means but do feel that it's necessary to have a sub for a proper home theater setup.

• Moderators

They offer solid advice. I believe a sub is necessary for HT and for 2ch but especially for HT. My RF-83's have plenty of bass on their own but I still would not want to have a HT without a sub....(notice I have 2 subs in my signature).

My basement is roughly 32 x 17 right now. We are in the early stages of looking to buy a house but I don't know the min/max dimension of a room for a system of this caliber so any info on that would be great. The primary use would be for movies and video games. The one thing that I didn't notice was that even though the pic of the RF-82 HTS didn't show a sub, it did list the SW-115 in the description area. Thanks again for the great feedback, Klipsch forums rock!

@ Schwa

Man. I am learning something new everyday. I have never heard of the company "SVS", had to look them up. Thanks for the post!

@Youthman

Nice pics of your HT room! I am definitively getting a sub now but should I chose the recommended SW-115 or is it just personal preference? I seen you and Schwa have different manufactures for your set up.

• Moderators

@ Schwa
Man. I am learning something new everyday.

We all are. The minute you stop learning, you stop living. [:D]

I have never heard of the company "SVS",

SVS receives lots of praise by many.

@Youthman
Nice pics of your HT room!

Thank you kindly.

should I chose the recommended SW-115 or is it just personal preference? I seen you and Schwa have different manufactures for your set up.

Many of us use other manufactuers for our subs. I'd say get the best quality you can afford and get the one you can get the best price at. I love buying used since there are tons of great deals out there in the sub market. I picked up my first Velodyne HGS15 sub (15" with 1250 watt amp) for $200 on Craigslist. Deals are out there, just gotta be fast when they come along.