Possible to blow RW-12D?

theperson67

Right now, my setup consists of a 2 channel receiver, a low quality speaker, and the Klipsch RW-12D subwoofer. The subwoofer is connected using the left and right speaker outputs on the receiver to the left and right inputs on the subwoofer using speaker wire I found from an older setup. I tested this setup a couple days ago and it worked, with the low quality speaker just testing the music portion to see if its going through.

Today, I turned it on, and the subwoofer was set to about +2 db on the digital menu, and the receiver was turning off saying 'protect' on the screen. So I moved the receiver away from the subwoofer, and I turned it up again and it seemed to stay on this time but one more dial turn on the receiver and the subwoofer suddenly got a lot quieter. My windows were still rattling, but the front woofer was not blowing air or moving as much as it was on the same volume level, as it was a minute before.

My question is, did i blow the subwoofer? Did the receiver go into some kind of safe mode and quiet the audio output? Is it possible to blow the subwoofer with my current setup?

I didn't blow it, I turned it on a little bit ago and it sounded fine.

But I would still like to know if it's possible to blow/ruin the subwoofer if I turned the volume up too high on the receiver and then turn the volume up even more one the digital screen on the subwoofer.

There is a speaker hooked up to one channel of the receiver using speaker wire, and the subwoofer is hooked up to the other channel of the receiver using speaker wire.

Carl, I too checked the owners manual for this unit and could not believe my eyes. Unless this unit was a proprietary subwoofer for a complete speaker system that had a designated amplifier system. To use this unit with a normal receiver or amplifier, it would be mandatory for the equipment to be able to feed two sets of speakers at the same time. A large amount of older and newer receivers and amplifiers have feeds for only one set of speakers, McIntosh and Marantz for sure. I understand the owners query. What is he to do? [*-)] [*-)]

Carl, I too checked the owners manual for this unit and could not believe my eyes. Unless this unit was a proprietary subwoofer for a complete speaker system that had a designated amplifier system. To use this unit with a normal receiver or amplifier, it would be mandatory for the equipment to be able to feed two sets of speakers at the same time. A large amount of older and newer receivers and amplifiers have feeds for only one set of speakers, McIntosh and Marantz for sure. I understand the owners query. What is he to do? [*-)] [*-)]

Why do you have your sub and speaker connected

like that? You should have your speaker wire going from your receiver

to your sub and then from your sub to your speakers.

Carl, I too checked the owners manual for this unit and could not believe my eyes. Unless this unit was a proprietary subwoofer for a complete speaker system that had a designated amplifier system. To use this unit with a normal receiver or amplifier, it would be mandatory for the equipment to be able to feed two sets of speakers at the same time. A large amount of older and newer receivers and amplifiers have feeds for only one set of speakers, McIntosh and Marantz for sure. I understand the owners query. What is he to do? ConfusedConfused

Connecting both the speakers and sub to the same pair of speaker-level outputs on the receiver/amp should not be a problem at all. This would represent the exact same parallel conection were the speakers connected to the sub's speaker-level outputs (were it equipped with them). If a receiver/amp has 'A' and 'B' outputs, they can also be used with the same results as those outputs represent parallel outputs, too. And this facilitates easier wiring as you dont have to put both pairs of wires into one pair of outputs.