H.H. Scott 222C amplifier

Marty65

Marty,

I have a 222C and use Amperex Bugle Boys in it for power tubes. I use amperex 6U8's as phase splitters and Telefunken 12AX7 for phono and driver stages and a phillips NOS 5AR4. These Scott amps have a wonderfull sound to them. The phono section are hard to beat.

If you want current production tubes for the power section. I've heard good things about the Sovtek 7189/EL84M's. I've also used JJ telsa EL84's but they burn out fast because the 222C over drives them.

Good Luck

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Marty,

Oh right around 20 WPC RMS. If you want to learn more about your amp here a Link to a great sight devoted to HH Scott products. Linkage

Has your amp been brought up to snuff yet ?? Where did you get it? These amps have various parts in them that should be updated before there used on a day to day basis. If your handy I could help you out on what is needed. If not I can fix it up for you and wouldn't charge you much. I just did one for Edster00 from this forum.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 05-22-2002 at 08:22 AM

I have had little time to really listen to the amp properly yet. Right now it is hooked up in my computer room to my Herseys, and it was immediately apparent how well it works with these speakers.

I will eventually take it downstairs for a spin on the Khorns, but I am not sure if that will happen before we start work on completing the 2 (or 3) channel listening room.

Craig, I've had this amp for a while, I never liked the sound of it that's why I was thinking perhaps it needs to have the tubes replaced. What else would you recommend replacing in this amp. I've just read so many posts of people loving these tube amps with their heritage speakers. I have a pair of Cornwalls that I'd like to connect up to it. Thanks for your help.

Dan

Marty,

Shoot me a email with your phone number and we can go over all that is needed. I will be gone out of town till the 1st of June. I have a cell phone with free long distance so the call is no big deal. If you don't like the sound of the amp then I can garrantee something is wrong with it. If I was you I would quit using it till we get it straightened out. Its really not all that expensive to overhaul these. The hard parts usually are less then a $100 and then tubes.

So shoot me your number with the best time to call and I will get back with you when I return.

craigostby@comcast.net

Craig

Hey Craig,

If you're willing and schedule permitting, I would like to meet and hear your Scott setups. You're welcome to visit here as well. Think we're within 60 miles of each other. If so, we can make email arrangements.

mdeneen...Aloha!

Be well,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-25-2002 at 05:57 AM

I've got a 222C, too. Apart from hum, pops, grunge and oscillations it sounds great. When it's behaving itself it makes voices sound really natural and puts out big warm bass with speakers that are dry and overdamped with other amps.

I know I need to replace some parts, but where do I start? The hum appeared after a couple of years of disuse - I figure the B+ cans are shot. Those pops and oscillations could be tubes or signal caps or gridleak caps, right?

I'll be using the amp with a variety of speakers, but mainly AA Klipschorns, so I'd like a Klipsch owner's perspective. I've read both good and bad about orange drops, metallized polyester, etc. What do you recommend I use to replace these parts, and where should I get them?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mark

Congratulations Esker, you seem to be the 10,000 person to join this Forum. There are no fabulous prizes like wall-to-wall Klipschorns and such... that irrational members (like me) have been pushing for... but there is a lot of well intended folks to be helped and help you back.

It is especially noteworthy that you and Klipsch hail from Arkansas in this month of Paul's passing, the 100,000th post being entered, and, now, the 10,000 Forum member. You'll find this spot on the Internet quite different in attitude and helpfulness than most chat areas.

Welcome Aboard the Board... and now back to our regularly scheduled thread in progress. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-29-2002 at 05:09 PM

esker,

We haven't had a good fight around here in a long time! Days at least...

Besides the replacement parts, do you need any advice on speaker wire? How about analogue vs. digital? LOL!

Welcome aboard and I'm sure someone will have an opinion on good parts for replacement and/or upgrade.

mdeneen is right in that this has been a hotly debated topic with widely varying opinions on parts and ways to go about do it. I would add that the 716P Orange Drop is better than the 715P from what I have heard. The price difference is hardly anything and most think it is an upgrade over the 715. Mdeneen and I differ a bit in that I have always gone with the higher voltage caps in the coupling area preferring the 600v over the 400 or 200. I would not, however, go berserk with increasing the value of the caps as this is where I have found the amp can potentially sound more ponderous.

Also, a few more tend to prefer the Auricaps over Orange drops and they arent too expensive and arent too big. But the 716P is usually recognized as superior to the 715.

Regardless, there are many ways to get good sound. There are so many variables and this place has enough opinions and takes to get some choices. Consider this a good thing.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>