cost effective way for cable management?

tdunlap0001

Hello,

I need to run cables around my living room and then to the ceiling. But i am unsure how to do it without spending a fortune on cable runners.

I have a 18 month old daughter who would love to pull on the wires if the are visible. I am currently renting so i don't want to go into the walls and ceiling.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Terry

• Moderators

I'm not sure what they call it but I have been told there are surface mount tracks (not sure if that is the proper terminology) that you can mount to the wall and run your speakers inside. It's kinda like conduit but square shaped instead of circular.

Could you buy some conduit (metal or PVC) and without using glue, put it together to give you something that would be difficult for her to easily get into?

When you move, you could take it apart & take it with you. When you find your next home you can have some spare PVC for the bathroom redo.

I once tried to figure out how to put an Academy above my LaScala as front effects (I had 3 Academy's)

I finally fabricated a 2x2 pice of plywood as another base for the LaScala. Made it hang out the back 8". Put some kind of plumbing sconce on it (screwed) and took some 3/4" pipe vertical, put a "T" near the top, made a platform with another sconce holding the platform to the vertical pipe. Pulled my wire through the pipe (also had T at bottom) and had a nifty way to 'hang' my Academy above my LaScala without touching the walls/ceiling.

Thank you all for responding.

Youthman, i was thinking of going the raceway idea, like these:

http://cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/latching.html but i would be

looking at 90 bucks or so to run the wires.

I also forgot to mention, I live with my girlfriend so it must be "pretty". So i am not sure the conduit idea would work out.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy wire organization?

Thanks all

Terry

• Moderators

The cable organizer you linked to looks like what I was thinking. It has a "Cover easily swings open to change cabling, then snaps shut." Pretty convenient but at $90, who cares if you see the wires. Paint them pink and the GF is happy and you have some extra cash to buy some other cool toys. LOL

Split wire loom can do a good job of gathering cables together and making them less noticeable.

It's inexpensive and comes in many colours and sizes.

I use some in white to run speaker cables along the baseboards.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.ca/wireloom.php?gclid=CLjT6OHpjK4CFQpshwod0xWyiQ

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/split-wire-loom.html