Looking for a new receiver... Have Klipsch WF-34 towers

vinceisvince

Hey guys,

So I got a handsome amount of tax return money and have been eyeing a new receiver to replace my ancient Onkyo tx-sr504. It holds up pretty well but I think I can do better. There are so many choices and wanted to see if I can possibly not break the bank but maybe I can splurge if it's worth it.

382897_10100478431965427_12603187_518265

Here's a pic of my setup. I have a WC-24 and two WF-34 towers. They are pretty close together, hopefully I can get a new house someday so I can have them spaced apart. Also I have two Quintet satelite speakers in the rear (would like to upgrade them babies too one day). Here's what I was looking for in a receiver:

-Airplay

-HDMI output (mine doesn't have it!)

-Crossover frequency adjustment on all channels?

-Wireless networking if it's beneficial... I don't know what I would use it for.

-7.1, maybe one day I can use the extra two channels.

Also another benefit of getting a new receiver, I would use the old one for my upstairs bedroom, since I Have 3 speakers from the quintet that I don't use. Anyhow I'm not really loyal to any receiver brand, I've heard Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Denon, and Yamaha as all being great. BTW I had a question, I use the PS3 for a lot of things, but if I had a receiver with HDMI inputs, is there any benefit to using the optical output over the HDMI output for audio? As far as I know they are both digital signals.

I was just looking at this:

Harman/Kardon AVR 2600 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver

Harmon Kardon

I'm going to check out the garage sale section too..

Pick a receiver from Denon, Harman/Kardon, Yamaha or Marantz as these seem to be the top 4 brands used. Find one with the features you want in your price and you really can't go wrong.

To answer your question about HDMI vs. optical, optical cannot output HD audio signals such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master, HDMI can.

I have the WF-35s hooked up to a vintage Marantz 2-channel amp and use AirPlay via an Apple TV (cost $100.00). If you listen to music via an iPod/iPad, I would highly recommend a Marantz or HK with your speakers. Both brands produce substantial amplification, and for 2-channel music, both have a warm sound that will benefit the low, mid-bass frequencies of your speakers and will slightly tone down the high ends. Conversely, for HT, the Audyssey Auto-Cal will give you very good room correction. I'll put in a recommendation for the SR5006 or SR6006 depending on budget.

Here are some choices I like :

Denon 1912 (but has no multi eq xt...is that needed?)

2112-ci but a bit pricey? Neither don't have dolby volume which I sort of want.

Marantz 5006... I can get refurbished around $500.

If I had to chose between denon and marantz what should it be?

Harmony kardon seems pricey and doesn't have airplay and want prehiphereals for ipod!. I have looked at yamaha but denon and marantz seem more prestigous.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/denon-avr2112ci-integrated-network-a-v-surround-receiver-ob

Anyone use electronics expo? This is open box and still has all its factory warranty and is a denon 2112ci

It is $450 shipped. Has all bells and whistles, pretty crazy savings cause it is open

Box. That doesn't bother me .

Includes air play, network connectivity, audessey xt. Web interfaces

To control it. Basically gets audyssey xt at the same price as the 1912

And a little more that sounds good but I don't care to have but

Would use. It's 90w per channel and I've read having 90 or 100 watt

Per channel is unnoticeable.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/denon-avr2112ci-integrated-network-a-v-surround-receiver-ob

Anyone use electronics expo? This is open box and still has all its factory warranty and is a denon 2112ci

It is $450 shipped. Has all bells and whistles, pretty crazy savings cause it is open

Box. That doesn't bother me .

Includes air play, network connectivity, audessey xt. Web interfaces

To control it. Basically gets audyssey xt at the same price as the 1912

And a little more that sounds good but I don't care to have but

Would use. It's 90w per channel and I've read having 90 or 100 watt

Per channel is unnoticeable.

That would work. For what it's worth, there is very little difference in prestige between those brands, and very little difference in sound between 90 and 100 watts.

I am able to snag a denon 1712 for $300 new with 2 yr warranty so Monday I will order that.

Btw I've been waiting and looking for ws-24 for my rears but seem pricey anyhow . There's wb-14

On new egg for $200 a pair which is a crazy good deal. Would there be substantial

Loss of quality by using bookshelf over surrounds as the surround speakers?

• 2 weeks later...

I have upgraded from a onkyo tx-sr504 which I think was about 8 years old. I now have a Denon 1712 and wow, I mean it's incredible night and day.

It has Audyssey XT, this thing makes my movies sound amazing! I haven't done music, but my Onkyo seemed pretty good to power my Fronts. I can distinctly and clearly hear sound from every speaker. I was thinking of buying surround speakers (ws-24) but the receiver does an amazing job with my quintet satellites as surrounds. Besides all the configurations you can do and the convinience of HDMI switching, this receiver blew me out of the water in performance.