So has anbody else here put a Forte woofer into a Heresy 3? OR 2?

moray james

Carol Shelby was right, there is no substitute for cubic inches, in this case a thicker top plate and a bigger magnet. Did not measure anything but this is easily as big an improvement bass wise as between the H2 and the H3. I figure redamping the H3 with Perlite and you could expectr half as much assitional extension again. Not too shabby for a couple of cubic feet.Best regards Moray James.

Those sure do apply to audio. I am surprised by the seeming lack of interest in this topic as folks often lament that the Heresy could use a little more bass. For those who have heard the difference in bass response between a Heresy ll and a Heresy lll and were pleased (I know I was) then they will be very pleased with running Forte woofers. I am sure there are many other woofers which would do an equally good or better job. These were at hand and it took only minutes to swap and have listen. Best regards Moray James.

hey Carl: I have kind of got used to that gray mystery guy. I have tried to load my avitar but get told the format is wrong or some such thing. The gray mystery guy is not all that bad is it? I am not computer savy or savy in general. I think I would require some hand holding to post sucessfully.I can tell you what it is so you can visualize it. Its a nasty type wild boar, a family crest that I put together myself so that it would be original to a degree. I will try now but if you dont see one dbm (don't blame me). Best regards Moray James.

• 4 months later...

How is the Forte woofer in the Heresy working out long term?

I just replaced a dragging VC woofer in my Forte's with a CW1230, and have a second CW1230 to make a matched pair, so I have been thinking of using the good old Forte woofer in my original Heresy with a kicked in woofer. My second Heresy only has a small tear near the surround I plan to attempt patching (diluted fabric glue and some to be decided patch material). Ending up with one Heresy 1 with a Forte 1 woofer, and one Heresy 1 with a patched original woofer.

I found the Forte woofer to sound a little better than the K28K did. I wanted to buy a Chinese woofer from MCM Electronics but they don't ship to Canada. I did recommend this woofer to an AK member who bought a pair for his Heresy and repirted they sound great. It is built like a tank and is dirt cheap, and I imagine it will eat a Forte woofer for breakfasr. Take a look. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2982-/55-2982

I found the Forte woofer to sound a little better than the K28K did. I wanted to buy a Chinese woofer from MCM Electronics but they don't ship to Canada. I did recommend this woofer to an AK member who bought a pair for his Heresy and repirted they sound great. It is built like a tank and is dirt cheap, and I imagine it will eat a Forte woofer for breakfasr. Take a look. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2982-/55-2982

Specs on that one.

• Rigid die cast frame
  • Treated paper cone
  • Treated cloth accordion surround
  • 2.5" high temperature voice coil
  • 67oz. vented magnet Specifications:
  • Sensitivity: 96dB (W/M)
  • Impedance: 8ohm
  • Re: 6.3ohm
  • Le: 1.20mH
  • Frequency response:
  • 30Hz~3.2KHz
  • Fs: 36.2Hz
  • Qts: 0.41
  • Qes: 0.48
  • Qms: 2.82
  • Vas: 121.67 liters
  • Xmax: 7.0mm
  • Overall frame diameter: 12.28"
  • Required cutout: 11.1"
  • Mounting depth: 5.51"

I put new woofers from critesspeakers in my Heresy's (CW1228) and Fortes (CW1230), and this was a nice improvement in bass quantity (a bit), and especially bass quality in terms of timbral info, micro-dynamics, and spatial info. I recommend those, especially for replacing the old original Heresy I woofers. Looks like Moray is showing us the similarity of these woofers. There are many ways to hot-rod a Heresy.