Wiring speakers in pairs... Can I?

oldmako

I've got an outstanding dilemma and I need some guidance. Please bear with my ignernce...

I just bought a mint pair of RF 35s and I have two places to put them. My preference it to place them in my HT setup with my Fronts (CF-3) and have them play concurrent with the CFs in HT operation. My KG 5.2 serve as the rears. I cannot use the RF35s as rears because they are too tall for the only place I could put them.

Q. Would it be bad to run a short wire from the second set of posts on the CFs to the RF35s? Or would that cause problems? I know that it would "work", but is there anything inherently wrong with that type of setup? Any weird feedback issues or other???

My only other decent option would be to place them in the bedroom with my Fortes and simply run a set of wires to the B output on the Sansui. Not that there would be anything wrong with that, but don't use the bedroom set up much.

It's a small condo and I am running out of space.

In addition, if I can place them in the HT set up, I will have a pretty righteous wall of Klipsch with the CFs outboard, KLF20 inside them, RF35s inside them, and then a KLF-C7 and Academy stacked in the center. I think that would put a big damn grin on my face and scowl on my neighbors.

Thanks for any input.

Sorry, it's RF-35. I'll edit and correct the original post.

The receiver is a Yamaha RX v1500.

If there is a suitable alternative I'm all ears.

IF I simply select speaker A and speaker B on the Yamaha, will it play all four fronts simulateously, and equally in both DVD / HT and TV operation? Seems like it would but I'm not up to speed on HT. I'll hook it up like that and see. At least I know I won't be harming the reciever in that manner.

Sorry, it's RF-35. I'll edit and correct the original post.

The receiver is a Yamaha RX v1500.

If there is a suitable alternative I'm all ears.

IF I simply select speaker A and speaker B on the Yamaha, will it play all four fronts simulateously, and equally in both DVD / HT and TV operation? Seems like it would but I'm not up to speed on HT. I'll hook it up like that and see. At least I know I won't be harming the reciever in that manner.

Don't monster and some other vendors make a little box just for this sort of problem?

Check on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-SS-6-Speaker-Switcher-Speakers/dp/B00004Y3UY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328746310&sr=1-3

Don't do it. The difference in sensitivities, frequency response, driver size and design, etc etc will cause a lot of abnormalities in the sound. Even running two identical pairs of speakers at the same time as you're describing isn't recommended.

THANKS.

I hooked the 35s up to B on the amp and simply run both A and B simultaneously. SO FAR, the amp seems happy but it isn't properly set up. IOW, I just bought it and haven't had the time to run through the entire setup. Plus, I don't have the manual in hand. Trying to do it off the laptop gives me a headache The amp seems happy enough and both the CFs and the RFs are on during Goodfellas. Doctor Melfi is giving Henry Hill all kinds of crap and it sounds great, but the rears are WAY behind.

Oh hell, I have a roomful of Klipsch..what's not to like?

As wuzzer said.... You can do it if the speakers are identical (actually you can do with any two pairs...) as long as you know the impedance. Two pairs of 8 ohm speakers, when connected in parallel (one positive lead, split to both speakers, and one negative lead, split, returning to the amp) will lower it to 4 ohms, and as long as the amp will do 4 ohm speakers, no big deal. Just remember that your amp's output at any volume setting (volume level pots are usually calibrated for a standard 8 ohm load) is now doubled. You can clip the amp and damage the speaker drivers if not careful. Your overall volume increase will be about 3dB in SPL.

Or.... In series.... positive lead to speaker positive, then from speaker negative to other speaker positive, then from other speaker negative back to amp. With two 8 ohm speakers, the impedance is now 16 ohms. As long as the amp can drive 16 ohm speakers, no problem. Corresponding drop in power at any volume setting on the knob.

Think of it this way, in parallel you are opening two "pipes", thus flow (watts to the speakers) is increased, in series, you are increasing the resistance (flow) by adding the secondf pair.

The very best method is to use the A and B pair jacks and run them separately as most amps with an A/B pair are designed to compensate the output variance when two pairs are connected.

Just some thoughts....