Somthing I heard on the radio about HDTV

m00n

I was on my way to work this morning and someone called into the station saying something to the affect that tv studios are trying to get a bill passed that would prevent people with existing HDTVs from viewing a HDTV broadcast. This is because HDTVs as of today do NOT have this special chip or chipset that will allow for copy protection.

Has anyone else heard of this or know more about it?

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

m00n-

yes, i've heard the same type of thing. in fact when i was shopping in early march, i had a lengthy discussion with the salesman. pretty much, the way it's looking is SOMEWHERE down the line (who knows when) the HDTV standard is going to change. However, since most tv's are simply HDTV ready, you need a separate decoder to watch it. When the standard changes you'll simply have to get a different decoder (one with the copy protection chip). However, i'm sure there'll be people out there that continue to use the old ones, and merely come up with a hacked version that allows you to watch the new HDTV signals.

It was on /. awhile back about the gov't being involved and whatnot too.

In addition to this I also heard on the radio (three weeks ago) that 70% of the TV stations will NOT be ready to transmit the HD signal by the deadline in 2006(?).

What really surprised me was when I was looking into a Mitsubishi 16:9 tv. I downloaded the manual and it said that playing non-16:9 format programs for more than XX% of the total playing time will result in uneven screen wear where the side "grey" blocks on the left and right side of the 4:3 picture will wear at a different rate. All of which is NOT covered under the warranty. Well burst my bubble!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

tblasing,

The Mitsubishi has an expanded screen mode to allow the 4:3 format to be displayed covering the full screen which avoids the screen burn problem. I've been using a 16:9, HDTV ready, 55" Mits for almost 2 yrs in the expanded format. The image does take a little getting used to, but I'm looking ahead to the day everything will be HDTV 16:9 format and death to 4:3.

Klipsch out.

quote:

Originally posted by tblasing:

Well burst my bubble!

Hmmm, one word.... Front Projection... Oh wait, that's two. cwm1.gif

No gasses to run out, no screen burn in. Oh and big Big BIG screen.. Whoo hoo.cwm4.gif

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 05-21-2002 at 03:25 PM

dang. just bough TWO MITS HDTV's within the past 4 months. oh well, the decoder is external anyways. Smile.gif

getting a front projection soon enough Smile.gif 180"!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>