Horn chronology.......

moray james

Question for those who were there or those who remember. Could I get some help with thetime line of some Klipsch horn designs? There was the mid horn used in the Forte ll (also in the Quartet and the Chorus ll) then the KLF20/30 mid horn then the CF3/4 horn. I am not sure of the exact model numbers of these so I will leave them out. When were they designed/released and where do the K510 and the K402 fit in time wise? Are there new horns which came out after these in the pro/cinema line? Thanks for any assistance with this bit of history. Best regards Moray James.

I'm always referring to my old posts. So maybe you read the Audio article about the tractrix.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/44621.aspx?PageIndex=1

I'm pretty sure that, as the article indicates, it was first used in the Forte II. As if the Forte was the mule for development and then the Forte II came out with the philip of the still larger passive.

It looks like the Forte II was first sold in 1989.

The KLF series came out three or four years later, but you should check dates.

For what it is worth: I pointed out that the original tracrix had better directional control The authors of the article suggested a phase issue.

It might be that both these are not the whole story. Rather, the good performance may be because the radiation pattern of the mid horn and the woofer match at the crossover point. Per Andy Rooney: "Have you ever noticed . . . ?" In at least some recentKlipsch designs, the horn mouth is about the same size as the direct driver just below it.. Maybe the radiation pattern of the direct driver has narrowed to match the horn at the crossover point.

Food for thought.

WMcD