Baby La Scala--(Update)

SAMCRO

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great...we love DIY projects. Don't foget the ramps. Also, folks who have done this before find that you get better bass if you seal the back of the top section and cut out the top of the dog house. Connecting the volume of the dog house to the volume of the top section gives you a pretty good internal volume for the woofers. Porting the sealed backs only gives you a marginal increase in bass response.

Looking great ! Up to this point these were the only baby LaScala's I had seen.

I love those!

speakerfritz,

I had seen the addition that has been added to the bottom of the doghouse before. I like your idea much better. :)

I never had any plans to port these. Quick question, "What if I built my riser at the base 6 inches and also attached that volume to the doghose also?"

Since the top plans haven't been written in stone yet, Im not sure where this rabbit hole will lead.

I am just thrilled to be doing this!

What are the dimensions of this "baby LaScala"? Also, what size woofer are you using? If this is a smaller sized cabinet, are you using a stock crossover, or something modified? I have been thinking about building a small LaScala to use as a center speaker for HT, as I have space contraints not allowing for a regular size LS.

Thanks,

Hogfan

What are the dimensions of this "baby LaScala"? Also, what size woofer are you using? If this is a smaller sized cabinet, are you using a stock crossover, or something modified? I have been thinking about building a small LaScala to use as a center speaker for HT, as I have space contraints not allowing for a regular size LS.

Thanks,

Hogfan

The Belle is leads on from the LaScala and has a depth of 18 3/4" as opposed to the LaScala depth of 24 1/2". The Belle Bass Horn is less complex to build than the LaScala. The Bell Bass Horn is 6 1/4" wider than the LaScala. The Belle might be just right for you.

Just noticed you're from TX, where abouts?

Amarillo

I'll post the plans later today. The woofers are 12 inch, as for the crossovers and drivers the plans for tops are still yet to fall in place. The K 700 horns I have are way to small. Since I haven't obtained drivers yet for the tops my options are open.

adding volume in this example added 7db at 60hz. porting in addition to the added volume resulted in 5db more at 60hz. The good about just the volume addition is that it's less messy than dealing with ports. If you don't get the ports right, you'll wind up with distortion and harmonics. I wouldn't play with ports unless you can get to the volume of a Heresy cab. A ported Heresy cab only resulted in -10db at 60hz. Not very successful.

post-22082-13819688638354_thumb.gif