R you serious Klipsch?????? WOW!!

I've had 72 pairs of Klipsch since I was 17.I purchased a pair of Klf 30's in 2001 and still have them.They are in mint condition.....except that they were put together like CRAP!! I cant believe Klipsch allowed this to happen!! I heard rattling for years,and thought it was the floor.I just found out yesterday that the cabinets are falling apart!!! I took them apart, "back also" There was only one nail holding the back together!!! I put j.b.weld around the back,and then placed the rear panel back on.I then put a thin beed of wood glue around the inside of every corner.I then hot glued about 20 little peices of wood "corner braces." Then I used hot glue again to seal all around the inside of cabinet.

THEY WILL NOT FALL APART NOW!!!! I am very disapointed! Klipsch should of re called every single klf!! I just looked at the inside of the cabinet and couldnt believe my eyes!! I was convinced that who ever put these together was pissed off about somthing.1 nail....1!!!!!!! gobbs of glue here and there,then no glue on half of cabinet.

WTF!!!??!!?

Hey buddy take a calm down pill. Don't lay this all at the feet of Klipsch. You are comming into this way late here. Klipsch made some mistakes yes but the real problem was the manufacturer of the hot melt adhesive they used to install the baffles. That company delivered a defective batch or batchs of bad hot melt which Klipsch used. Now the real problem was that Klipsch decided to use attractive looking Melamine veneer on both sides of the front and rear baffles. Looks nice wears well. Problem is not much sticks to Melamine. I hate to tell you but in all likelyhood the hot melt that you used will not be a very good match for using on Melamine. You sould check with the manufacturer to see if they recommend the glue you used for Melamine surfaces. There are not very many adhesives which will work. There would have been better ways to affect your repair but that is too late now. I hope things stick well but you kind of rushed iinto this any then complained you might consider asking first next time. I am sorry you are having this problem. I have had to totally rebuild two pair of KLF20 myself so I understand the situation. If you are interested you can look at a thread where I have some pictures of one of the KLF20 I rebuilt. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372783&highlight=klf20&page=2

You might want to consider a new cabinet build with real braces and what ever else you might like to do such as reversing one of your woofers or time aligning the horns or or you get the idea. A worth while project because I would not bet a plug nickle that the adhesive you used will last on Melamine unless you are one very lucky holt melt glue picker. If you were clever enough to saw off the Melamine you would be good to go if you did that. Best regards Moray James.

PS: from what I understand Klipsch did compensate a lot of customers and took the adhesive company to court and won and came up with a fix for folks who figured their cabinetw were ok but wanted some insurance, I think that Klipsch made a real effort. I rebuilt both sets of mine love them both.

Ok...I got a little out of control,but klipsch cant put all the blame on the "hot melt".The klf cabinetsare a joke at best as far as quality goes!!

The inside of my klf 30's is missing all the supports, "that should be there". They should be built to withstand the pressure of 2 -12's pounding away.Instead,the front and rear baffles are glued on to the cabinet by only the perimeter,with the exception of 2 8" pcs of 3/4"x3/4" in between the woofers.The 26 pcs of extra wood,and 24-1",#8 screws I added will hold them together till the very end. LOL!!!

easy to see the results of hard times and bean counters getting their hooks into a company which is having hard times. The braces you mention are easy enough to install and adding more is a real benefit. That's what DIY is for. Glad you got yours together and working well. You might want to test the modification waters first with all ti diaphragms and then with a serious sota crossover rebuild. Best regards Moray James.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...I got a little out of control,but klipsch cant put all the blame on the "hot melt".The klf cabinetsare a joke at best as far as quality goes!!

The inside of my klf 30's is missing all the supports, "that should be there". They should be built to withstand the pressure of 2 -12's pounding away.Instead,the front and rear baffles are glued on to the cabinet by only the perimeter,with the exception of 2 8" pcs of 3/4"x3/4" in between the woofers.The 26 pcs of extra wood,and 24-1",#8 screws I added will hold them together till the very end. LOL!!!

The 'pressure' you are looking at inside of a box, is on the orders of fractions of a PSI. Also, the 26 pieces of wood you added weren't accounted for when the design was considered and tested, and port length ( tuning ) decided upon.

Should large panels be braced? IMO, for a full range speaker yes, they should. Thin panels with bracing can be more effective than thicker panels without. You have to realize that shipping heavy and large items cost more money, and this is also considered when designing a speaker or subwoofer.

A simple bead of a construction adhesive wiped on the seams on the inside of the cabinet would have worked as well as a urethane sealant. Glad to hear you have them fixed, however that was a problem that was caused by a supplier of materials to Klipsch.

Is your problem with slightly different bigger than your problem with not working? Get some light cardbiard art board at the craft or art store or some shirt cardboard and roll a port to fit tape it or glue it together and stick them in. A paper vent will work just fine it's not a big deal. Best regards Moray James.

Correct, it's the ports size (OD) thats an issue plus its a press fit with numerous little flanges around it. That exact port diameter is what I can't locate, if I could I'd just hack saw it to length.

Great Idea you have ie bristol board etc.......

• Like 1