Wiring your electrical

blargman

I'm curious. What's the best steps to use when determining your power needs? Are there cheap measurement devices that can tell you how much you are using?

I've got all of my home theater running off a 15amp circuit at the moment. Misu 65" dlp, onkyo 809 receiver, xbox, satellite box, wifi router.

I plan on adding a sub to this outlet and a separate amp (prob xpa-2). I'm just curious what I can do to make sure I don't go over.

What have you all done in regards to your home theaters?

• Moderators

I was worried when we bought our home. It was 2 months away from being completed when we found it and purchased it. The electric had already been installed with a 15amp circuit to the "Media Room". I've yet to trip a breaker running my PS3, Dual Velodyne subs (1250 watts each) and my Parasound (220w x 5) amp as well as lights, projector and 3 electric theater chairs. I probably shouldn't push my luck by adding something else. [:P]

If all your equipment is run off a single circuit, a 15 amp breaker should be fine. If you add things like a space heater or fridge on that same circuit you may be running a bit thin.

I have my 2 systems on their own 15 amp circuits and I have never had a problem. But the theater stuff is the only draw on those circuits.

If you can run a dedicated 20amp circuit with 12/2 you should be fine with what you describe. I just did this about 6 months ago and ran 2 20amp dedicated for the HT and have a 15amp close that has no more load than a couple of lamps so while that may be more than most, I won't ever have an issue with running multiple amps and a lot of other equipment.