FS: Klipsch KLF-10's

Mlstrass

I've changed directions and moved my C7 to the back center, so I won't be using the 10's. Rather than just having them sit around I'd prefer to sell to another Klipsch lover who'll enjoy them. I picked them up about 3 months ago. Medium Oak in excellent condition. Original manual/boxes. Prefer MO or personal check. Pics available upon request. Any questions give me a call...847-774-1736 I'm asking $500 for the pair....Mike

Hmmm, Mlstrass, I wonder how much you could get for them if you would use your skills and convert them to KLF-10 Centers? I too have three excess KLF-10's, 1 KSW-15, 3 KSW-12's, and a pair of SB-2's that are in storage. What's a horn lover to do? -HornED

PIC NOW AVAILABLE

Allright then, I'm willing to convert them to KLF-10 centerchannels if anyone is interested. If so you would have to pay for the bucking magnets, but I'll cover the MDF & labor since I enjoy working on them. Let me know...Mike

If I don't sell them they'll end up in the bedroom with the C7 to replace my JBL set-up.

This message has been edited by Mlstrass on 05-23-2002 at 12:46 AM

Mike, I am interested in one (1) KLF-10 either as is or converted to use as my front center channel. I would then move my C7 to my rear center.

How much do you want for one KLF-10 either converted or as is?? I am handy so I could re-work the MDF and relocate the horn, but I would just as soon let you do it.

Let me know, Brett

bloomis914@aol.com

------------------

My system(s):

Great Room---

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Master Bath---

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

Niles Wall volume control in M/Bath

Basement HT-----

SE-13HD LCD Projector

Da-Lite 52" x 92" High contrast screen

Chorus II Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds

KSW-15 Front sub

KSW-100 Rear sub

Pioneer VSX-810 DD/DTS-ES receiver

JVC-XV-FA90BK 7 Disc progressive DVD

Panamax MAX1000 Surge protector/line conditoner

Comcast Digital Cable

Philips S-VHS VR-1010

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

Mistrass,

Wow, that's a generous offer. Kudos to you. I have the KG 5.5, and I have always been curious as to how similar they are the KLF 10. I'm also in the Chicago area. How far are you from Palatine? Would be interesting to hear a KLF-10 side by side with a KG 5.5.

I would also be interested in hearing your KLF-10cc compared to the C7.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Kenwood amp for sub and shakers

Denon AVR 681/1601

Brett,

I would definitely want to get a commitment for the other KLF-10 before I "chopped" one up. How does $250 for a converted one sound? You would need to install the magnets if necessary for your TV.

t-man,

MapQuest says 30 miles to Beach Park. If you'd like to head up this weekend to give them a listen let me know. I'd also be willing to demo my DIY sonosub cwm4.gif

Probably easiest to reach me via cell...847-774-1736

This message has been edited by Mlstrass on 05-23-2002 at 01:25 PM

Wow, that's a super bargain Mlstrass! Makes me wish I was flying back to Chicago again.

For those who have RPTV's, in my experience you will find that converted KLF-10', 20's, or 30's create NO TV interference with the center on top... as long as the leading edges of the mains and center are a bit back from the plane of the screen. Oh, and don't forget to tip the center slightly so the horn tweeter is aimed at about the height of your ears in the sweetspot.

Mlstrass your Forum spirit is outstanding! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

great offer, and you are sure to have takers...now if it was a klf-20mo 'horizontal',MAN!! that's what i NEED!! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Mistrass,

Awesome! I'll have to negotiate a time to get away. Got a busy weekend ahead. Wife wants to plant flowers and such, gotta birthday party for myself on Monday, and need to see Star Wars as well. If not this weekend, perhaps some time in the near future. Would love to hear that system of yours!

Troy

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Kenwood amp for sub and shakers

Denon AVR 681/1601

avman,

I also plan to do a KLF-20 in the future. The 10 was just a test to see how difficult and to see if I liked the sound.

t-man,

Just shoot me an e-mail when you want to swing by.

BLOOMIS914,

I received an e-mail from another guy interested in buying a single 10 converted into a CC. I'll be out until next Tuesday but will coordinate with both of you guys as I need a 100% commitment from both of you, which would mean the $$$ up front, before I'd feel comfortable converting them.

Take care...Mike

double checked the specs on klf-20-same tweet and mid-let me see if it will fit-sold on the idea-DON"T need to try it in home, sure that it will kick a c-7's a$$.

followed the hornEd/t-man et al posts about the phantom vs.'c-7'(in my case)vs. 'hornEd-zontilised'center main. jumped on the bb 2nite after an inspirational session w/sting-brand new day dvd.LOVE my rsw-15!! legends kick a$$,hope ed's enjoying his new bottom-feeder pipes disc. going to find the song on santana-supernatural that has a section where the phantom is far superior to the c-7.

gonna measure for the klf-20 center and find the song. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony playstation 2

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Mlstrass,

When making the KLF10 into a center channel, you are using the same cabinet with air ports correct? Since the KLF-C7 does not have ports, would it be viable to create ports?

Has anyone experimented? My limited speaker material/creation/experience hinders my thought process sometimes, please forgive me.

Jaq

• Like 1

Building an excellent speaker takes careful planning and matching of drivers, crossovers and strategies such as ported or sealed. The conversions of floor standing speakers works because the volume of the cabinet, the character of whether the speaker was designed to be ported or sealed, has not changed. Only two things have changed, the relative location of the same drivers on the motorboard... and the distance from the floor at which the speaker will be operating.

Woofers get some free bass gain by being closer to the floor... and lose some when they are atop a TV. Actually, even identical mains have a different character due to the uniqueness of each location.

Just reflect upon that for a moment... if a speaker that is identical to the mains loses a bit of its tone and timbre matching when modified to be a center... then look at the potential disparity of most "matching" centers that are drastically different in design, speaker and cabinet size. It is no wonder that "horizontalized" mains make such awesome centers for 5.1 and above.

The fact that a C7 is sealed and a KLF-10, 20, or 30 is ported... and the fact that the C7 has smaller woofers than the KLF's it serves at center... the fact that there are so many fewer cubic inches to the C7 than the KLF mains... all point to the subtle ways by which a horizontalized KLF main brings a better level of performance, tone and timbre matching than a KLF-C7.

Porting a C7 might increase its volume but at the expense of a sealed cabinet's accuracy. Changing a motorboard to hold the same drivers in a different way is a nail trim... adding a port to sealed cabinet is more like brain surgery... which is generally better left to the manufacturer. -HornED

Few experts find fault with the concept of having identical speakers across the front... except in the area of what to do with a floor standing center competing with a TV set in the center. The obvious answer is to turn the floorstander into a high performing horizontal center! Go for it... -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-24-2002 at 12:49 AM

REALLY want a horizontal klf-20 but...

i've got to put it between the front leg supports and rear center support of my tv stand and it is only 15 1/8" and the klf-20 is 16" deep Frown.gif .

MAYBE it would fit by angling the speaker front upwards, but it looks like that will aim the sound above my head height when seated in the listening position,and i don't want to move the seating position forward, nor have the sound shooting 'skyward'.

what about 'notching' the back center of the speaker (about 7" worth wide as the speaker lies horizontally,and about 1" deep into the cabinet) or modifying the front (which would be the top and bottom as it normally stands)in a 'bevel' shape to allow the front to fit-the bevel would have to clear the l,r front posts that support the stand?

i'd hate to have to replace the tv stand because it looks so good,matches my l,r audio racks, matches my mo color speakers, and cost an arm and leg.

ideas?/suggestions? thanks. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony playstation 2

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 05-24-2002 at 11:38 AM

no, i have a 84" screen that i pull down in front of my tv that would block the speaker if it was on top of my tv, and a perforated screen is out-of-control $$$'s.

what about 'beveling' the(as it normally stands) top and bottom front of the speaker to clear the legs?

hoping for a klf-20c solution...avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony playstation 2

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Mike, DEAL!!! And sorry for the delay.

Just one question: Are you actually able to reinstall the Grille locating tabs??? I really must have the grilles on due to the fact I have small children that would love touching the Woofs I'm sure....What ends up happening with the Klipsch logo on the bottom of the grille? Can it be relocated to the bottom/middle once converted? I have put new grille cloth on my Chorus II's so that part is not a big deal.

No need for bucking magnets/shielding as I am using with my Front Projector (SE-13HD & 106" screen) see link below for pics.

Mike check your E-mail and PM's and let me know so we can work out the details. Thanks, Brett

------------------

My system(s):

Great Room---

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

Audioquest interconnects

Niles wall plates

Marantz SR-8000

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Master Bath---

Basement HT-----

SE-13HD LCD Projector

Chorus II Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds

KSW-15 Front sub

KSW-100 Rear sub

Comcast Digital Cable

Philips S-VHS VR-1010

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

HornEd/All---Just curious, but how well will a KLF-10 used as a center go with my Chorus II mains?? Is this OK? I have to believe the KLF-10 will be better than the KLF-C7....Am I right????

Brett

------------------

My system(s):

Great Room---

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

Audioquest interconnects

Niles wall plates

Marantz SR-8000

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Master Bath---

Basement HT-----

SE-13HD LCD Projector

Chorus II Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds

KSW-15 Front sub

KSW-100 Rear sub

Comcast Digital Cable

Philips S-VHS VR-1010

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Bloomis, the KLF-10 center is definitely better than the C7 IMHO... larger woofers (2-10"), more cubic inches (65 lbs.), ported design (bigger sound) and a higher sensitivity (98dB) are definite pluses.

I don't have a Chorus II to try... but I suspect an Academy would also do well because it has a Heritage character in its voice and I used one with a pair of Cornwalls as a three channel music system. Of course, it also has the added advantage of being the center of choice for Chorus II's on the Klipsch selection chart.

The Academy is a great speaker in its own right... but with is sealed cabinet, making its 8" woofers stand up to HT center channel is asking a lot... particularly since it is down 5dB in the sensitivity to the Chorus II... and that's a lot to make up.

Maybe after the Memorial Day weekend, I can lug a KLF-10 to the music room and try it out as a center with the Cornwalls. Right now I have an Academy between the Cornwalls as a rear array. It might be interesting. -HornED

HornEd, I'm using an Academy with my Cornwall II's, and I find it to be very good with dialogue. I do notice, however, that it is not as strong at high SPL, especially where music and other sounds are strong in the center. I also adjust the center up 4db on the preamp to match the levels across the front, due to the lower sensitivity of the Academy. At 100-105 db playback however, the Academy works great (and that's still good volume).

I have been thinking about getting a Belle to do center channel duty - a much more suitable and capable choice.

Bloomis - Normally, I would look at a Chorus II, Belle, Cornwall II, Forte, or Academy as a center channel candidate. I can't tell you how well the KLF will work with the Chorus II's. Ed's review of the KLF between his Cornwalls should help shed some light on how the timbre match will work out. I'm curious to hear how it goes. Anyone else try mixing Heritage type stuff with the KLF??

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>