Reference + Emotiva

Magneto_Plasmoid

Hey guys,

My new Klipsch Reference speakers arrived yesterday (2 x RF-82 II, 1 x RC-62 II) and after setting them up and running a calibration, I am in love! A friend of mine near by has the RF-82 series 1 and an emotiva xpa-5 and I was thoroughly impressed with the sound, so I'm now looking at adding one to my system. In a previous post here I was seeking advice on a XPA-3 vs a marantz power amp but I ended up holding off and buying better speakers instead, so here I am again choosing a power amp! After reading alot of reviews and hearing my friends XPA-5, I've decided to go with what I like instead of what i can get cheap!

The big question is, will I notice a difference going the xpa-3 over the xpa-5? I am 60% music, 40% movies in my setup so the music side of things is a little more important to me and I want that to reflect in my upgrade. My friends XPA-5 seems to drive alot more of a dynamic sound when listening to 2ch music. But from what I can gather from emotiva's website, they should almost be identical being both rated at 200 watts per ch. Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

EDIT: Iagain, I'm open to opinions if anyone thinks the there is something better then Emotiva

I think either the XPA-3 or the XPA-5 will be about the same, unless you plan to go to a pre/pro later on and need 5 channels of seperate amplification.

Your Marantz SR-7005 is very capable of amplifying your surround channels only while an XPA-3 powers the front soundstage.

Bill

I like the sound of the emotiva amps, they are neutral/bright IMO more on the neutral side with a hint of bright and have a clean and clear sound. Barring my negative experience with my xpa-5 i thought it performed very well. I think id purchase another emotiva amp just in case my amp was wonky (many other appear to have had similar hum issues as I have had and no troubleshooting methods fix it) and test it out to see if it works as i perceive an amp should.

I will however admit i like my outlaw 7125 much more than the xpa-5. Swapping amps in and out with the same exact setup the outlaw create no hum through my speakers at all. I also found that the outlaw is a much smoother sounding amp and has a crisp sound to it. The amp performs fantastic for both music and home theater. It is 7 channels, more than you need right now but you can biamp your rf-82's. There is a power difference between the 2 amps, the emo is rated at 1khz and the outlaw is rated at full range which should yield power rating differences (comparing apples and pears). 125 watts a channel is a ton of power for klipsch speakers and you most likely wont tape its full power unless you plan to go deaf or are in such a large room that you are pushing them to fill the room with sound.

The outlaw 7125 is only a bit more than the xpa-5 and a bit more than a bit more when you look at the xpa-3 but its a great amp that can allow you to expand you system to a 5 or 7 channel and if you want to, biamp your front l/r and do a 5 channel setup..

Just my .02 I know there are alot of people who like emotiva and i respect them.