SW-310 Help

ChipByrd

I am trying to decide if I want to keep my Chorus with BEC crossovers and ti tweeters OR RF-83s. The 83s obviously have more bass, so I added an SW-310 to my Chorus to fill out the bottom end. Here's my problem: I generally like the sound of the Chorus better, but the SW-310 doesn't really provide enough bass for my taste. I don't want boominess, but with some rock you want to feel it. I have tried placing the SW-310 all around the listening area, but even with the gain almost maxed, it doesn't impress. I am using a Cambridege 840a. Is their some trick or hookup procedure that I am missing? I may end up going with the 83s if I can't figure a way to get better performance from the SW-310. Help! I really want to keep the Chorus, but I want more bass. Thanks.

Have you tried adjusting phase of the sub?

Also, while you've tried multiple spots with the sub, it might not be a bad idea to do a sub crawl: put the sub at ear level of your seating position, and crawl around on the floor to the point where bass sounds best to you.

Have you tried adjusting phase of the sub?

Also, while you've tried multiple spots with the sub, it might not be a bad idea to do a sub crawl: put the sub at ear level of your seating position, and crawl around on the floor to the point where bass sounds best to you.

Chip, what Steven forgot to tell you about the most important part of the sub crawl. your wife has to video tape this "sub crawl" so she will have proof when she has you committed[:D]

Re: phasing. I thought you wanted it at 0 or it would sound muddy?

The phase control is to help blend it with your main speakers and to prevent interference between them and your subwoofer. If you're using a receiver with an auto-calibration routine ala Audyssey, you can leave it at 0 and the receiver will handle phase itself. If not, you can make adjustments and see if it improves the sound.