Opinions on this SL-1301

I bought this spontaneously a couple days ago at a used cd store here in Madison that sells the occasional vintage component. This TT was $70 and seemed to be in working order, though I don't know much. Been wanting a budget turntable to play some old records I've been moving with me for 20 years. The last turntable I had was as a Soundesign turntable-tape-radio thing. Don't throw too many tomatoes....I was in middle school and bought it with paper route money.

Many here put a lot of cash into their vinyl. I'm a believer in 'you get what you pay for'. For me starting out it will be about 5% of my listening.

Haven't found much info on this model in the forum archives. I've read so many good things about the SL-1200 and thought this would be at least in the same family. Is this cartridge alright? I just want to make sure this setup will 'do the job' and not abuse the vinyl while playing.

Sure it's after the fact 'cause I already purchased, but please weigh in your thoughts. Don't hold back. [H]

post-34666-1381969045503_thumb.jpg

I'd say that was a pretty good buy, I've had a few Technics t/t's and they have always performed well, and that one should not be an exception. Cough up for a good stylus for that Stanton and your good to go. Top Notch.....[Y]

PS Wasn't meaning to imply that the stylus you have is not a good one, actually it is...but there are a few other options for that cartridge.

70 bucks seems like a good price. You may have to noodle around with setting it up, but it should be easy.

It'll be easier to set up than this old beast... The penny and the Shure SC35 cart is gone. I'm using a Stanton/Pickering 380 cart now. The shure is a plastic body and was hard to keep from humming. Once I swapped to the metal body Stanton 380 the hum went away.

I'm using a custom made idler wheel picked up off eBay with very good results. I've done a couple visits with a friend, and listened to SOTA turntables in both visits. The SOTA TTs with SME arms and Shelter carts are in a league of their own...but the ol' Musicmaster doesn't sound much worse for what it is...

post-6643-13819690466214_thumb.jpg

Check the stylus under a microscope for wear. If it looks ok you can use it while you research stylus upgrades or direct replacement. Always suspect stylus damage or wear if you don't know the history. You should be able to find comparative photos of a new stylus tip if you aren't sure what to look for. Also you can get an overhang guage for technics very cheaply to make sure the cartridge is mounted in the right spot. As long as the table works then you are good to go.

Thanks for your feedback and advice. Very much appreciated.

It looks like this from NeedleDoctor is an appropriate stylus replacement for what I have, yes? Here is another from Ebay for $30 cheaper, though I would think Needle Doctor a safer vender.....?

Thanks for the overhang gauge advice, oldtimer. Learning a lot.

...there are a few other [stylus] options for that cartridge.

So far I only find the D-6800 EEE MK III. What are these 'others' you speak of?

Played a few of my old LPs earlier today. Started with Queen's The Game, then some of Weird Al's Dare To Be Stupid, Pink Floyd's WYWH, ended with Led Zep II. Very cool so far!