considering purchasing an H.H. Scott LK 48 integrated, looking for advice

im reasonably new here, and i finally have a few questions to ask! unfortunately not directly related to klipsch products.After much searching, ive finally found a scott integrated i think is worth purchasing. i figure at least some of you here may have some experience listening to and repairing these units so i would like to post a little information and a few photos, any feedback, advice, warnings, etc would be appreciated considering this is going to be an expensive purchase(for me anyway) and most likely an equally expensive restoration. to me, It looks very clean inside and out, cleaner to my eye than some of the factory units i looked at as far as wiring is concerned (it was apparently built by an electrical engineer). The owner says the amp was up and running and sounded good, but one output tube was "running a little red plate". It has been sitting unused on top of a bookshelf for a couple years.

I dont know much about these integrated amps to be perfectly honest, but to my eye this amp looks like a good start.

For the more discerning eyes out there, does everything look original and unmolested? Especially the tubes.

What would the ballpark value of this unit be?Are there any particular reasons not to go with an HH SCOTT amp?

Is the redplating of an output tube a huge concern? or is it most likely a bias issue.

Anything that id be better off knowing before i decide to purchase would also be helpful.

thanks in advance.

post-48343-13819690469204_thumb.jpg

Nice looking amp which, on a quick glance, looks to be stock. The red plate does suggest the possibility of improper bias. No reason not to buy it because of that. How much is the asking price for this unit, and where are you located?

$300 is what he wants for it.

Im located in Albany NY

Without a recent bench test within the past 3 months by a reputable technician like NOS Valves I would not pay over $ 300 for the LK-48.

Buying a fully rebuilt one and have the sale subject to the amp not being DOA is less risk and worth the $ 600-1000 you may have to pay for a Scott tube integrated.

I prefer the 7591 / 6L6 tube for bass weight in Scotts rather than the 7189 tube.

I prefer the 7591 / 6L6 tube for bass weight in Scotts rather than the 7189 tube

the 7591/6L6 amps were the later/higher output scott integrated amps? correct me if im wrong. wouldnt more than 17-20wpc be a bit overkill with 100db+ efficient speakers?

or is there a significant difference in the sound signature of the later amps vs the earlier 7189/el84 amps

Buying a fully rebuilt one and have the sale subject to the amp not being DOA is less risk and worth the $ 600-1000 you may have to pay for a Scott tube integrated.

also, ill mention this if this makes any difference. the amp is within an hours drive from me, and he would bring it up on a variac beforehand. He said he was confident he could get it up and going without issue for me to audition it. shipping and the issue of it being DOA aren't factors in this purchase.

although i certainly would prefer finding a rebuilt unit locally. it would cut out a middleman and maybe shipping entirely. i do know a guy locally who is a competent tech, although i dont know how interested he is in doing a full blown resto on something this old.

- jake

I prefer the 7591 / 6L6 tube for bass weight in Scotts rather than the 7189 tube

the 7591/6L6 amps were the later/higher output scott integrated amps? correct me if im wrong. wouldnt more than 17-20wpc be a bit overkill with 100db+ efficient speakers?
or is there a significant difference in the sound signature of the later amps vs the earlier 7189/el84 amps

The amount of power you need depends on room size, how loudly you listen, etc. But, in most cases, the power available from push-pull 7189s is plenty with high efficiency speakers. The sonic signature of various tubes can be different (much depends on the output transformers used), but there's nothing to complain about with the 7189s. You do need to factor in the cost of restoration, though. It wouldn't be out of line to pay around $500 for a total (i.e. replacement of every capacitor, out of spec resistor, tubes as needed) restoration of an amp like this, so it's worth discussing things with your tech before committing to purchase. And, absolutely, give the amp a listen before you make your decision (not for too long though given the tube with the red hot plate.) Wish you were closer or I'd help you out for the parts cost only; shipping would be prohibitively expensive. Plenty of good advice is available here, so post any questions that you have as you go along.

It wouldn't be out of line to pay around $500 for a total (i.e. replacement of every capacitor, out of spec resistor, tubes as needed) restoration of an amp like this

is there a way to do a a quick servicing of the amp? perhaps just rebuilding certain parts of the amplifier to prevent damage to the transformers/output tubes so that daily use isn't a gamble? and eventually work your way to less critically important parts of the unit?

Wish you were closer or I'd help you out for the parts cost only

what WOULD the straight parts cost be? lets just say a full set of caps.

Just out of curiousity, how hard is it to work on these amps? Is it something that could be learned rather quickly? If so, i might try to learn myself.

Unfortunately, restoring an amp like this is not a project for someone without experience. If you want to get into it, a better alternative would be to find an old transformer operated tube radio on which to experiment (keeping in mind that tube equipment uses potentially lethal voltages- reading some good online tutorials on electrical safety when testing such equipment would be useful.) I can recommend some books if you decide to explore this. The restoration of the Scott could be done in stages. All electrolytic, coupling (a leaky cap here could be causing the red hot plate), and many bypass caps must be replaced all at once (even caps which are not problematic at the moment can quickly become a problem with use.) The caps in the tone control circuitry can be dealt with at leisure. Unless you see an obviously burnt resistor, those can be dealt with over time. The carbon resistors used in amps like this usually age in the upward value direction which doesn't usually cause any serious issues. Parts cost, using high quality replacements, might run $50-$85. Tubes, using modern replacements, aren't overly expensive. So, I hope this helps you out a bit. Email or post if you have other questions. Maynard

it depends what the objective is. if the objective is to bury yourself in a continuos chain of activities and cost to get this unit up to par, support it, and learn some how to tube maint skills, then thats the route to go. If the objective is to get something "tube" sounding into your system, a previously completed restoration unit would be better, turning this over to a restoration expert next best, or just buying a recent production unit that doesn't need restoration even better. Nothing magical about a scott unit,, so don't feel like all decisions need to center around that.

The LK 48 uses 7199 pentode/triode tubes on the front end. This was the same tube used in someof the Dynacos. There are actually a few more offerings for this tube than in the past, but you can't do a lot of tube rolling here.

The nice thing about the Scotts is they have pretty decent output transformers. I would email Craig (NOSValves) and see what a rebuild would cost you.

Bruce

it depends what the objective is. if the objective is to bury yourself in a continuos chain of activities and cost to get this unit up to par, support it, and learn some how to tube maint skills, then thats the route to go

im definitely a tinkerer at heart, although my lack of electrical skills prevent me from taking on this task

or just buying a recent production unit that doesn't need restoration even better. Nothing magical about a scott unit,, so don't feel like all decisions need to center around that.

im on a pretty tight budget(4-700 or so) And the HH SCOTT amps seem to be a good value for the dollar. a simple, decent quality integrated tube amp with a decent phono stage is what i need. and the scott seemed to fit that bill perfectly. I cant afford thousands in tube separates unfortunately. also, the new chinese stuff that i can afford seems to be hit or miss with build quality,customer service, and resale value. Anything you can recommend in my price range i will certainly take into consideration.

$300 is a pretty darn good price for that amp. One thing that would insure its a real good deal is the brand of the 4 tubes lined up along the very front of the amp. If they are the original Telefunken's that makes this an even better deal. Those 4 tubes are worth near $200 if properly tested and sold on eBay. They tend to always be in good shape in the Scott.

If you decide to use a local technician to work on this amp demand good quality audio grade capacitors in the signal path (don't confuse audio grade with audiophile) . My point is no cheap 50 cent garbage or the Sonic performance will suffer. I myself put just about zero weight in the ability of what is referred to as "local technicians" on these amps. I have bags of parts I have removed installed by local technicians.

If the amp turns on and lights up the tubes without blowing a fuse $300 is a no brainer price for this amp. If you sent it to me you would have to stretch your maximum budget about $100 to end up with it rebuilt properly with the shipping costs involved. Most Scott total deluxe rebuilds run in the $400 to $450 range plus return shipping cost. This amp looks to be 100% original which in my opinion is the best way to buy them unless gone over by a source that has a long term reputation of success.

Good luck

I can recommend some books if you decide to explore this

\

please do

Check out the online used book sellers for a copy of Practical Radio Servicing (2nd edition or later) by Marcus & Levy. It will give you a really nice basic overview of how tubes, power supplies, audio amplifiers and much more work. After getting that under your belt, try to find a copy of Essentials of Radio by Slurzberg & Osterheld. It will go way beyond the first book and will truly give you an understanding about what's going on in tube type audio amplifiers, among other things. I found both to be extremely useful when I taught this stuff more years ago than I want to admit!

I myself put just about zero weight in the ability of what is referred to as "local technicians" on these amps. I have bags of parts I have removed installed by local technicians.

Craig, that's downright insulting to the highly trained, and highly competent "local technicians" whose work is exemplary in every respect. As with any endeavor, one can always find all levels of competence. To imply that such technicians are incompetent (because they prefer to work on a local basis?) is a disservice to your colleagues in the audio restoration, design, and fabrication business. It should be beneath your dignity as a respected member of that community to even make such a statement!

Check out the online used book sellers for a copy of Practical Radio Servicing (2nd edition or later) by Marcus & Levy. It will give you a really nice basic overview of how tubes, power supplies, audio amplifiers and much more work. After getting that under your belt, try to find a copy of Essentials of Radio by Slurzberg & Osterheld. It will go way beyond the first book and will truly give you an understanding about what's going on in tube type audio amplifiers, among other things. I found both to be extremely useful when I taught this stuff more years ago than I want to admit!

the second book you listed is only 3 dollars, whereas the first one is a staggering 45! (on amazon anyway) Ill definitely keep my eyes out for them. Thanks for the info