Forte 5.1?

vondy

Right now I have forte 2s up front with an academy center and forte 1s for the rear. No sub yet. We just rearranged our furniture in the living room and now the sofa is against the back wall. In order for the fortes to work I would need to turn them sideways facing us but that puts them about a foot away from our ears because of the limited space.

Question is, how important is it to have the rears match the front? Does not seem to me it would matter much seeing as little sound that comes out of them. I was thinking of some ceiling or wall units instead. Thoughts?

• Moderators

I don't know how something else would sound never tried it ? Them being sideways is OK, but being that close to you is what I think is a problem.

Maby someone with some RS models has tried it ? I would guess before having them a foot from you head I would try mounting something like a RS up on the wall a little more somewhat pointing down.

I had a similar problem, plenty room behind where we sit but it would have not worked because it's another room it just happens to be all open, and nowhere to the sides for any speakers.

I did have a big beam right behind the sofa, so I made some 1/4" brackets and hung the back 3 for 6.1. You can not see them from the other room which is nice and they point slightly in front of the sofa. It works well, not that I had any other choices.

The front 3 are Fll along with the center rear, the rear L, R are original Fortes, couldn't find any more F ll's and got a good deal on some originals but a different wood, Walnut the rest are Oak, close enough for us. [Y]

The room is 24' wide X 18' to that pole.

post-11804-13819691259434_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I would think that would work fine.

Is the furniture going to stay like that, in walls are a pain to move, or patching the hole is a pain the speakers move easily.

That's was my wife's idea to put the rears up there, you really don't notice the fortes in the room, those 6 are small compared to the 2 Ch pair in that room, her idea also.

Crazy idea but don't laugh i heard something like this and it sounded surprisingly good for rear sound effects. The speakers were on the floor behind the sofa pointing up and a little to the sides and it really did a good job of dispersing back round sounds. Something small like the 5502 or this (pic), they may be cheaper ? No holes in the walls and can be moved easy if the furniture gets moved again, just an idea. You could always try it without any permanent marks in the room to hear if it's OK ?

Just an idea ? I know it sounds crazy but you might be surprised ?

post-11804-1381969130366_thumb.jpg

That's not a bad idea. I'm not too worried about cutting holes, I'm always doing stuff to this old house anyway.

But your right, these are easy enough to move and experiment with. I'll have to put the Forte I's up for sale for any local Klipsch fans.

Thanks!

First off, are you aware that your surrounds in a 5.1 setup are supposed to be to the side of your listening position aimed directly at you? Your furniture re-arranging has put them in the recommended listening position.

I was in a similar position with a couch against the back wall, Forte II fronts and Forte I surrounds. I had them on stands that are about 20" tall and it worked great.

Since you're able to adjust the output level of your surrounds you shouldn't have any problems with them being that close to you.

I do realize that actually. It's just that they will be really crowded in there. Doesn't look good and is imposing to the wife. A small pair of RS-42's or the like on the walls a bit higher would work better with the space from a esthetic stand point. I know people like to match all the speakers but again, there is so little sound from the surrounds that I can't see that mattering much. But I don't know much when it comes to HT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I don't notice any problems with having it sideways. The front of the sofa is 12' from TV which is the same as the center, maby it's far enough away that I don't hear any problem?

Also the front L & R are almost in the corners of a 24' wide room so the center is filling a good size hole in the center. If I switch to just stereo to cut off the center there is a giant hole in the center from how far they are apart. Also the center is a about 6' in the air above the TV, pointing downward.

I don't know if any of that is changing the sound or not ? It sounds good to me, really wide sounding across the front but the forte ll's have no problem filling that space in with sound.

All of that to say I hear no problems. [:S]