Help with La Scalas, no bass

skeeter99

... but a redesign makes me a bit nervous.

A redesign is not needed. What version of crossovers are those? The type is hidden by some wire in the pic you posted. The autoformer on the crossover is used to match levels between drivers, but changing the taps on the autoformer will shift the crossover point some, so a different capacitor value is needed to keep things correct.

I'll try to find the chart explainging it all.

btw, those are nice looking with the full grills. They should osund great in that room, too.

Bruce

They are the AA crossovers. Yeah find that sheet, it makes me curious. Also, any links to threads about these changes would be helpful too. Thanks!

I like them with the full grills but I'd really prefer to see the horn, I just think it looks bad :-) if they weren't nailed ONI might just take them right off and build some grills for the tops. We'll see though. Thnks for the compliment!

Scott

This link may help to explain some (the post by DeanG especially), even though it has to do with the Heresy crossover.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/56054/542508.aspx

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/149076.aspx?PageIndex=1 (page two of this is very good, epsecially DJK's posts toward the end)

Still looking for more...

Bruce

So if I understand it right the Cornwalls have better bass extension but the La Scala's have better mids an highs? I confirmed my suspicion by pulling my speakers all the way into the room and the bass is there in spades! Speakers are fine, receiver is fine, now I have to figure out a way to overcome what my room is doing to my response curve :-(

Scott

I would start by doing some research on room modes. My earlier comment was making sure you had the right expectations for the lascala low frequency extension, which it sounds like we're all on the same page with.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the sound path through the lascala is ~3ft, which is close to ~90 degrees of phase at 80Hz which can pose some interesting interactions when trying to get the lascala and subwoofer to acoustically couple at the xover region. Pulling your mains into the room is going to change this phase relation with your subwoofers.

That said, room modes are going to dominate your low frequency performance, so it's best to start there since there is nothing you can do to fix room modes other than fixing the room itself (which may be as simple as moving your speakers and listening position around). Doing xover mods and other forms of electronic equalization can and will sound different, but I would describe it more as a band-aid and not something that actually fixes the problem.

Toole wrote a really good book that covers a lot of aspects of sound system design - which also includes ways to model and predict the behavior of room modes. I definitely think measurements are the best way to go, but not everyone has equal levels of nerdy in this hobby. The book is pretty nerdy too so not sure if you're into that or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Acoustics-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers/dp/0240520092

This might be helpful too:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/technology/whitepapers/inf-rooms_3.pdf

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines that I was being killed by some modes. They're sounding good now, could use more bass but unfortunately I cannot reorganize my room. I'm in a long narrow townhouse and the speakers are in the only place possible. At my old house I would have had multiple options but that's another story.

I seem to be getting very good integration with my subs right now when playing movies so luckily I'm not fighting cancellation as well!! Very good point though.

I will for sure take a look at those articles, I don't mind getting nerdy at all.

Thanks for the tips/help!

Scott

Its not, I've triple checked multiple times and changed them to run full range and that wasn't the issue. It was all room related and I've figured out what's causing it (the speakers being flush with the fireplace is creating a null) so pulling them out helps I just can't pull them out all the way. All the way out and the bass is there big time. Good thought though!

Scott