Help with front mains RF-5s or Heresy IIs

beararms6

Looking to make a purchse on some new r/l mains and rears. I currently have a RC-35 for a center and a Paradigm DSP 3400 sub with 4 Bose 201s that are just not cutting it.

I know that the RF-5 would be a nice match for the RC-35 but since joining the forums I cant help but notice and read about how awesome and a "cut above" the heritage line are and im in a dilema. I have not heard either and just wondering what you guys would do if it was your set up. My question to the experienced out there is... would you go with:

RF-5s or Heresys IIs for fronts with the RC-35 center and RB-5s in the rear

On a side note im looking at a set of RB-5s for rears

Thanks and any input would be greatly appreciated

I cant help but notice and read about how awesome and a "cut above" the heritage line are and im in a dilema.

I have not heard the RF-5 but I have read really good reviews. Take the whole "cut above the rest" stuff with a grain of salt. I have both and have a hard time telling you which one I prefer between the RF-7 and Chorus ll. Since you already have the RC-35 center I'd grab the RF-5 and not think twice about it.

Thanks guys! What's the going rate on clean RF-5s? A fair price for both the seller and myself.

I've looked but can't seem to find anything recent online as far as prices.

Thanks in advance

for a clean set i would look to spend around $600 for the older RF-5's, and as others have stated - stick with those vs the heritage if you're keeping the other reference items. You definitely will not be disappointed.

Klipsch did re-release the RF-5 a year or two ago and called it the RF-5 Classic and I'm not sure what those are going for on the used market. Be sure to ask smart questions though, including serial numbers (which you could call up and have Klipsch verify). I've noticed several times where people on craigslist try to pass older models of speakers as the re-release model and price point.

To calm your fears even more, I A-B'd H3's and RF-5's, same room, same electronics. There's no clear cut better speaker, I really like them both. There's no mistaking that they have a different sonic signature though. The H3's have an advantage in treble, mids are close, and the RF-5's own in the bass department. The best speaker would be the H3's and a sub but just by a small margin.

To calm your fears even more, I A-B'd H3's and RF-5's, same room, same electronics. There's no clear cut better speaker, I really like them both. There's no mistaking that they have a different sonic signature though. The H3's have an advantage in treble, mids are close, and the RF-5's own in the bass department. The best speaker would be the H3's and a sub but just by a small margin.

this is how he copes with regret for selling me his RF-5's. ;)

this is how he copes with regret for selling me his RF-5's. ;)

True dat. I drown my sorrows while listening to my Lascalas[;)].

All kidding aside, I REALLY liked the RF-5's. IMO, Klipsch's most under rated Refernce speaker.