Listening to LaScala's at low levels.

sean5340

With my new job allowing me to stay home I have been listening to music early in the morning while everyone else is still asleep. The levels are around 55-60db versus the "normal" 75-80db. I have to say the LS are fantastic at lower levels. They do not lose any dynamics and are VERY well balanced. I had never done a lot of low level listening due to their ability to play very clean at high volumes. I now enjoy my morning sessions more than any other. [Y]

With my new job allowing me to stay home I have been listening to music early in the morning while everyone else is still asleep. The levels are around 55-60db versus the "normal" 75-80db. I have to say the LS are fantastic at lower levels. They do not lose any dynamics and are VERY well balanced. I had never done a lot of low level listening due to their ability to play very clean at high volumes. I now enjoy my morning sessions more than any other. Yes

By listening at low levels not only is the distortion of the speakers and amplifier lower, but also the interactions between the speakers and the room are decreased as well which improves imaging and soundstaging. You didn't mention the distance from the speakers at which you listen, but if you are in the near field (basically the distance equal to the speaker separation, or even slightly less), all the better. Even your "normal" listening level of 75-80 db is very low compared to the preferred level of some forum members. It's not surprising that you are finding such listening to be so enjoyable! I have a friend who listens to all kinds of music (using La Scalas) at levels of 106-108 db (I can't stay in the room at those levels) and there's basically no imaging, and the soundstage is non-existent as the room interaction results in a massive wall of sound which is far from enjoyable imo.

Makes sense. Thanks for enlightening me. I did listen closer to 100db when I first got the LS. That's really too loud IMO. My speakers are spaced 11' center to center and my ears are 10' from the front of the speakers. I spent a lot of time on placement and listening position. This is definitely the sweet spot.

Every speaker has a sweet spot when set up right. I listen at those same levels all the time, except through a 2" throat 1133 driver on a K402 horn, so you can imagine the detail and ridiculously low distortion as well. You are on the right track with the LS. All you have to do is EQ out the 130 Hz. peak and you are all set.

There is a member who says he keeps his LS playing very low all through the night while he sleeps.....they are awesome speakers.

Um that's me and I have not done that since last night.

The retention of dynamics at low volume is something I'm looking forward to with my Jubilee also.

It's very easy to listen to LaScala at low volume as I reckon your ears turn up the sensitivity and that the LaScala don't need a belting to get going I get the sense they get more real or invisible or become open windows the real sound just flows through.

When you turn them up they become louder than you realise and you notice when you try to talk to someone or make a sound that you suddenly realise you can't hear. That mystery as to how loud you have them is there at very low volume. So now everyone, try it, close your eyes, focus on the music and you can loose your perception of how loud it actually is.

I say it's the "Fully Horn Loaded" bonus. I know the Jubilee are way to powerful for whatever I would ever ever need and it's that head room plus plus plus that first initial absolute detail that is extremely interesting for me. The Nelson Pass amps I got for my jubilee will deliver this level of impeccability in the first watt.

Of course you can listen like that for a while and then you just need a good "bungy jump" and that's totally available.

Yes all the room defects diminish at low volume, but there is also low volume out in the open on a farm on a still day.

Wow you sure did push my button with this one, now I'm chomping at the bit to go to bed. First of all I might do something light, lol emmm Sergei Rachmaninoff

• Like 1