Crites cornwall B-2 cap installation

davestef

I want to get new caps for my cornwalls since theyve never been replaced. there are a couple options, one buy the caps only kit and solder them myself ($), or send my crossovers to them and theyll replace them for me ($$), or three buy completely new crossovers ($$$). I was hoping to do option #1. the thing is, ive never soldered anything before. It doesnt look hard, and i do like learning new skills and fixing things myself. do you guys have any tips/advice for replacing them yourself? i think the cap kit only come with a schematic for the crossover, but doesnt come with instructions that walk you through the process.

http://www.amazon.com/Sinometer-Watts-Soldering-Iron-listed/dp/B0006NNRW4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1333429572&sr=8-7

would all i need be a soldering gun (is 30W ok?) and solder? or do i need a solder sucker to remove the old solder?

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Solder-Sucker/dp/B0002KRAAG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

Easy if you know what you're doing, not so easy if you don't. Since you're a novice, there is a learning curve. So, the real question is this: do you want them done right the first time in short order, or do you want to use your crossovers as a science experiment for you to learn on?

I want to get new caps for my cornwalls since theyve never been replaced. there are a couple options, one buy the caps only kit and solder them myself ($), or send my crossovers to them and theyll replace them for me ($$), or three buy completely new crossovers ($$$). I was hoping to do option #1. the thing is, ive never soldered anything before. It doesnt look hard, and i do like learning new skills and fixing things myself. do you guys have any tips/advice for replacing them yourself? i think the cap kit only come with a schematic for the crossover, but doesnt come with instructions that walk you through the process.

http://www.amazon.com/Sinometer-Watts-Soldering-Iron-listed/dp/B0006NNRW4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1333429572&sr=8-7

would all i need be a soldering gun (is 30W ok?) and solder? or do i need a solder sucker to remove the old solder?

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Solder-Sucker/dp/B0002KRAAG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

Thats an idea.....a step by step pictorial

Easy if you know what you're doing, not so easy if you don't. Since you're a novice, there is a learning curve. So, the real question is this: do you want them done right the first time in short order, or do you want to use your crossovers as a science experiment for you to learn on?

+1

Put another way, option 1 probably isn't the cheapest approach. By the time you get through your learning curve (read "mistakes"), you've probably spent more money than you would have on option 2 or even option 3. If getting some soldering skills is worth it to you, then maybe it's worth it. But if you're looking to keep costs down in the short term, take option 2.

Lou

He could pile up the solder 1" thick and short the system out and blow the amplifier. Hot solder could drop on the rug and set the house on fire. The soldering iron could slip and burn the fingers and start a huge infection and he could wind up dead. He could get mad and throw the soldering iron out the window and set the dog on fire and the dog could bite the neighbor lady in the butt and a lawsuit could send him to Siberia. He might breathe too many soldering fumes and croak. And the beat goes on.

JJK

• 2 weeks later...

a pencil type soldering station with temp control is your best bet. soldering guns are not what you want for tis type of project. Not to say that they have not been uses sucessfully they have but they are NOT the tool for the job. Be careful and learn well and enjoy your project. Best regards Moray James.

Before you start on the crossover, it might be an idea to get some old piece of gear and remove the components and then rearrange them into something more interesting. You can practise getting the solder to melt without melting everything else connected to the bit your soldering.

If you can't get it to work then best to select another option for the crossovers. After you do the work on the crossovers you would want to be sure they are 100% otherwise it might be better to leave them as they are.

I'm a rube, with little soldering experience, and I replaced the crossovers in my KHorns and Cornwalls with Crites kits. I photographed everything extensively, when I disconnected something from the old kit, I then soldered the corresponding piece of the new kit. They both turned out just fine. Sounds like you have a good solution by enlisting an experienced person to do your soldering. If you follow the information that comes with the kits, you can't go wrong.