Recoding CD's

Taz

[+o(] Can someone tell me why I can take a new CD and rip to computer to burn a disk for the car and sometimes I get a message stating 1 or more song were unable to be copied? Just a little frustrating, but I'll bet someone has the answer. I am using windows and want ALL the signal, not one that highs and lows chopped off. I believe the format is 'wma'. Should I be using somthing else that will record all the music. The discs say 700MG and that they will record 80 minutes. I'm lucky if I can get 70 minutes to record to a blank disk.[*-)]

Taz

I rip my CDs as FLAC using Media Monkey, I like it better than Windows Media Player, but there are lots of choices out there. I don't believe Windows Media Player supports FLAC at this point or at least my version doesn't. FLAC is free lossless codac, ie its not a lossy format like MP3. I know WMA can also be lossless as well if you select Media Format 9 / 9.2 lossless. I would check your settings and Rip your CDs with that format. Then if you burn a CD in CD audio format it will convert the music back to WAV with no loss in fidelity, ie it will be a perfect digital copy. Most buring software tells you after you select the type of CD and incert the blank CD (ie it needs to know how much it can hold) you're buring how much room you have remaining as you add tracks to the burn list. Cheers

Sometimes it's the other material put on the CD that won't copy, i.e., menus and such the audio CD.

Some CD burners won't record a full 80 minutes, as well. It this fairly new CD R/W drive you are using?

Bruce

Thanks to the both of you,

Computer was bought Nov, 2010. So I presume it should record 80 minutes. But things get iffy around 70 minutes. I'll re-read the responses and see if I can do better.

Taz

You should just copy the image of the CD. FLAC files will not play in your car I don't think.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/i-want-to-make-a-backup-copy-of-a-program-cd-that/e84b3211-c3cf-415f-b66f-d00fa09c371d

edit: I see the link above is data CD's. Here is a link to a freeware CD duplicator. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ If you have Nero, you can make an ISO image of a CD, and write it to your hard drive and burn that image to a new CD/R. That is how you make an exact copy. Make an ISO image, and burn that image to the new disc.