Surround Options??

COACH10810

Just purchased a pair of RF-7II's(replaced my RF-82II's) to go with my RC-64II. Before I had Klipsch, I had an Axiom setup and still have their in-walls as my rear speakers. Decided I would look into upgrading those and I am trying to decide what to do. I have attached a picture of the smaller wall for a reference point since it is a tricky location. My options are as follows:

1. I could simply go with the R-5502-W series II. It is also an in-wall speaker and the dimensions are practically identical, which means I would assume it would be easy to switch out.

2. Option two would be to patch the wall, paint it and then go with either the the RS-62II, RS-52II or RS-42II surround speaker. I am not sure the RS-62II would be too big or not. That wall is only 19" wide, so it might be too close on the wall on the left...

The 52's or 42's would probably fit better, but would the smaller drivers hurt the overall performance?

Those existing speakers are dual 5.25 and a 1" tweeter, but they don't put out much power.

My initial thought on this is that even the 42's might perform better because they are designed for side use, even if they have smaller drivers..

Any thoughts or input on this?

post-54965-13819693513552_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The RS series will provide much more dispersion than a direct firing inwall speaker will. I love my RS-52's with my RF-83 setup. I'm feeding them 220 watts and they have no problem keeping up with the rest of my system. I don't have any desire to "upgrade" to the RS-62's.

The 52's or 42's would probably fit better, but would the smaller drivers hurt the overall performance?

Congratz on the new purchase Coach. I'm kind of in the same dilemma and had asked here a couple of days ago. I can't comment until i receive my 52's on Thursday but space was also my main issue. Youthman makes a great point on % price vs. % difference. Obv. the 62's would be a better choice in a much larger room, but the 52's will fit my personal needs.......

The 62s would be better in that size room but I don’t think

you will be disappointed with the 52s. See what kind of deal you can get. Hate to

look back and wonder down the road. I say

get what you want not what the best dollar for dollar value is. Every time I do

that I end up spending more money later getting what I wanted in the first

place. [:D]

Looks like the 52's are the preferred choice on here. I would love to get the 62's so I am prepared for my next house, but those might not get approved by my wife..lol

Now I need to figure out if the speakers will mount properly after I patch the wall from the in-walls..

• Moderators

I say
get what you want not what the best dollar for dollar value is. Every time I do
that I end up spending more money later getting what I wanted in the first
place.

There is some merit to that logic. If you feel that the RS-62's would be a compromise, then sometime down the road, you will likely have the "what if" and will probably sell them and buy the RS-62's. I try and do my homework as best I can, decide on what I want, then make goals on how I can get to that point. I agree, get what you really want because in the end, you will have no regrets.

I originally went to an A/V store looking at RB-61's and somehow ended up seeing the RF-7's and asking "What are those?" It was downhill from there and I ended up going from looking at the RB-61's to owning the RB-83's. Go figure. Haha

Just wanted to give an update. Ended up going with the 52's.. They are pretty big and barely fit where I needed them to go. No way the 62's would have worked in my current setup.

They were easy to flush mount too, even though I was shocked that they only needed one screw to stay up.

Haven't hooked everything else back up yet, so I can't comment on how they sound yet..

Ended up going with the 52's.. They are pretty big and barely fit where I needed them to go.

Congratz! I got mine last week as well and they are big. I dialed them in over the weekend and they sound amazing. I'm sure you will love them also.....enjoy!