This Question will truly show my rookie status Im afraid, however....

philly0116

I have a JVC RX-5V reciever thats 75 wpc. Right now I have a pair of KG4's hooked up to it and imo they sound great. Heres the question....if I were to hook up a pair of KG1.5's or 2's in addition to the KG4 would it work out? The 1.5 says 50 watts continuous and the 2 is 65 watts continuous I believe. Would my reciever toast them?

The question you should be asking is if I run more than one pair of these (at the same time) will it toast my JVC receiver?

The answer to that is probably yes, if I run multiple pairs at the same time it will probably toast my receiver.

The answer to the question of will it toast my 50W or 65W speakers (run individually), the answer is yes, if you turn it up to the point of distortion and leave it there for any long period of time.

If I am to give a truely informed answer I would need to know the ± voltage on the outputs, and the part numbers on the outputs.

I sincerely doubt the amplifier can run two pair of speakers at the same time (unless they are wired in series).

Ok. That explains why there is an A and B switch. Lol. That seems sort of odd, under what circumstance would you only operate to of 4 speakers hooked up? Also, and my thinking could very well be off, but Klipsch being efficient speakers that does not make a difference?

Amps like yours are designed to run two pairs of speakers at separate times. Best thing to do is get a surround amp that has an all-channel stereo setting.

I have sansui 9090 and 9090DB. Both have the option of playing speakers "A", "B", "C"; or "A+B", or "A+C" at the same time.[H]

So at least some of the older equip will play 2 sets of speakers at the same time. I know I'm not an audiophile, but I think the 9090 sounded sweet. I don't recall the marantz being able to play 2 sets at the same time

Taz

If the receiver plays the two speakers at the same time, they are hooked up to "A" right and left along with "B" right and left. Internally the receiver, when pressing to have both play, will wire them in series. If you hook them both up to the same output, say "A", you might need to throw away the receiver if you turn it up at all.

The real question should be "what does the amp manual say about running multiple sets in parallel" and what are the impedance ratings of the speakers? Most amps with a/b speaker setups can run 2 sets of 8-ohm speakers at the same time with no problem, but not lower impedence speakers such as 2 sets of 4-ohm or 1 set of 8 ohm and 1 set of 4 ohm. If you don't have the manual you might be able to find a PDF version on line or from the manufacturer on their web site.

Because your amp has a fairly modest output, you want to make sure you don't overdrive if you do hook up 2 sets in parallel. That will cause clipping, which can quickly destroy your tweeters and/or midrange speakers.

I hear ya! Ok, thanks to all the input I found out more about my situation. If I am running two pair of speakers they both have to be 8-16 ohms, If I run 1 set of speakers the speakers can be 4-16 ohms. Thanks again for all the responses, Ive learned something and thats what this is all about!!

" at the same time"

And when you blow it up from running two pair of 4Ω speakers at the same time I will sell you my 9090 for parts.

I do not believe I have any 4 ohm speakers. But I do agree that it is best to consult the owners manual 1st. Now where did I put it? I know I did not toss it out.

I have enough amps and recievers that I have not run 2 pair off of them except for the Marantz 4270, and have never had an issue with it. In fact I like it better then the surround sound. Just SHMBO and my opinions.

You got a 9090 for parts? Is the selector switch good and does the lights work? Maybe we should talk. Mine is working fine now, but who knows what the future will bring?

Taz