Just bought a La Scala AL-3

javelin

MI4 was an outstanding soundtrack! Watch it near reference level and I guarantee you'll jump several times! Particularly, the handguns were just stunning.

I agree. Can I come over to your house and watch it again? I'd love to hear them soundtrack through your 3 La Scala... :)

BTW, if you could take a snap of your HT, I'd love to see them...that is if you don't mind...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MI4 was an outstanding soundtrack! Watch it near reference level and I guarantee you'll jump several times! Particularly, the handguns were just stunning.

I agree. Can I come over to your house and watch it again? I'd love to hear them soundtrack through your 3 La Scala... :)

BTW, if you could take a snap of your HT, I'd love to see them...that is if you don't mind...

Here's his setup, since he hasn't replied yet :

DSC_4496.jpg

The screen is huge!

You could buy a single Split LaScala and put the top portion above the TV, and the bass bin below it.

haaha! I didn't even know you can split them...is that La Scala 2? This must be some kind of normal and harmless addiction right? I mean seriously I already made an offer for a single La Scala(AA) in CL when I already purchased a pair in less than a week. Is there a way out of this? [:P]

Here's his setup, since he hasn't replied yet :

DSC_4496.jpg

The screen is huge!

WOW, very nice! heck, that HT is 3/4 of my basement..lol Look at them La Scala...im so jealous :)

You could buy a single Split LaScala and put the top portion above the TV, and the bass bin below it.

haaha! I didn't even know you can split them...is that La Scala 2?

No, the La Scala II is the model in current production. It is gorgious, but expensive.

Heritage%20-%20Klipsch_La%20Scala%20II%2

The split La Scale is the industrial model:

klipsch_lsi-bt_g_012.JPG

Much more affordable if you can find it.

This must be some kind of normal and harmless addiction right? I mean seriously I already made an offer for a single La Scala(AA) in CL when I already purchased a pair in less than a week. Is there a way out of this? Stick out tongue

No, sorry!

WOW, very nice! heck, that HT is 3/4 of my basement..lol Look at them La Scala...im so jealous :)

And that's only for what you think you see. The large black boxes between the La Scala are tapped-horn subs! (Danley DTS-10)

Or.. remove the overhang structure and simply hang a Heresy there (Heck, looks like you could put an upside-down La Scala up there!)

haha! that's a wicked idea....it can work! I could make it look like a mini-IMAX! lol Party!!! If I can snag a single La Scala, I'll tear that thing off...

Removing the structure make make another eventual upgrade easier: the projector and screen!

Thanks for mentioning the reference level. I watched MI4 again and this time, I changed my receiver listening mode to THX Cinema and surround effects to

Action for the dynamic sound tracks. I set my volume to reference level -10 and, WOW, the difference it made is like night and day. Dialogues are crisp and

clear and trasition to/fro explosions, booms, and thuds, are seemless and LOUD. I don't need to adjust the volume control for the dialogue and explosions

anymore...it's now truly dynamic. I love this new setting!! :)

I have to try 0. I changed the volume to THX Reference Level 0 and these La Scala can sing! At 0, I think you're hearing exactly how all sound elements

were produced and it's unreal...after a few minutes I wimped out. I changed it back to -10. I have no doubt these speakers can handle and maintain 0 and

even Below Zero setting but my eardrums definitely cant... emotion-8.gif

I'm happy to own La Scala speakers and loving it!

Thanks PSG. That dynamic you speak of scared the heck out of me. I raced for the controller and tried

to bring it down quickly and it took a couple second to tame it. But that couple of second was long enough

for a flashback "crap, I'm going to lose my hearing now"...simillar kind of flashback just before you die...lol.

BTW, I looked at your speaker setup and have to ask, how's your hearing? Big Smile

Now you're finally hearing movies with the dynamics the director intended. As you mentioned in an earlier post, setting the volume level for correct dialogue volume is the way to go. Then the loud sounds, explosions and so on, will be at the correct level. Setting the volume at -0dB all the time doesn't take into account varying speaker sensitivities, room sizes and sound absorptions, listening distances, DVD/Blu-Ray disc output, your own hearing sensitivity, your mood or your companion's mood, and so on.

However, sometimes that's more dynamic than you want, like for late-night listening. Many AV receivers have a 'Night' setting that reduces the loudest sounds, while keeping the dialogue loud enough to hear. You may want to use that (if you have it) on those occasions, rather than turning the volume so low that you can't hear what's being said onscreen.

And that's only for what you think you see. The large black boxes between the La Scala are tapped-horn subs! (Danley DTS-10)

I showed my wife tragusa3's HT she said and I quote "so, you're not the only one crazy". [:P]

I searched for that DTS-10 and if he's got a couple of those and played them at 0 reference level, at 10 Hz!!!!, I wouldn't be surprised

if USGS come nocking on his door. :) Nevermind that it's only 285lbs, those subs are wicked!

Anyway, I lost my bid to a single La Scala in CL so the search for the elusive golden speaker continues... :)

I showed my wife tragusa3's HT she said and I quote "so, you're not the only one crazy". Stick out tongue

Ha ha! It's great that she seems to be on your side in all this! Cool! Some would take one look at the La Scala and say 'No!'.

I have always loved the look of them, with the bass bin. Much nicer than looking at a large speaker grill!

I searched for that DTS-10 and if he's got a couple of those and played them at 0 reference level, at 10 Hz!!!!, I wouldn't be surprised

if USGS come nocking on his door. :) Nevermind that it's only 285lbs, those subs are wicked!

Yeah, unfortunately they were only available affordably in kit form for a limited time. They came back once, so maybe they will again.

Anyway, I lost my bid to a single La Scala in CL so the search for the elusive golden speaker continues... :)

Don't give up! It's worth it!

I showed my wife tragusa3's HT she said and I quote "so, you're not the only one crazy".

If you do this right, there's potential for her to come around. Some folks will never get past the big speaker cabinetry, but if she's the type that really enjoys movies and music, she might be singing a different song after a year or two. You never know. [:D]

Hey guys. I was away for the weekend. I appreciate the ooooo's and ahhhh's. :) I even appreciate being called "crazy".

I just rewatched MI4 last night and did at -10mv since I had company over. They were all uncomfortable at even that volume. But sure enough they were paying attention! At one point, in my peripheral I saw everyone in the row jump in their seat.

I tell ya. Good dynamics compared to anything else is almost like not watching the same movie.

Just keep your eyes open for that single. I put a WTB in the garage section when I was hunting, and one popped up within a week. You might try that. As impressed as you are at the left and right channel, realize that the center is going to impact your system even more than they did. It's definitely worth patience until one works out for you.

You have good size room so a -10 would be a nice volume setting given
the right distance from the speakers. My wife also
enjoyed the MI4 movie. She noticed the difference between the RF-3 and
La Scala and I was impressed. :)

My current center is the
bottleneck and
hope to find a replacement soon. I must try 3 La Scala....hehee

There is a Belle on fleabay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Belle-Speaker-Oak-lacquer-/200749275087?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ebd96d7cf. Make a nice center for you. It is more shallow, and many prefer it to a LaScala.

Otherwise, a single split would be the way to go as stated before.

The Belle makes a great centre speaker with La Scalas or JubScalas, and it also makes a great TV stand.

As a bonus, it's pretty good-looking.

There is a Belle on fleabay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Belle-Speaker-Oak-lacquer-/200749275087?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ebd96d7cf. Make a nice center for you. It is more shallow, and many prefer it to a LaScala.

Otherwise, a single split would be the way to go as stated before.

The Belle makes a great centre speaker with La Scalas or JubScalas, and it also makes a great TV stand.

As a bonus, it's pretty good-looking.

That's a good looking Belle. I just love the two-tone. It would really look nice in my HT! :) I'm keeping an eye on it.