Hsu Research vs Svs

Zeke1122

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, SVS may be a small company, but HSU Research is WAY smaller.

I wrote a letter to the company (HSU) and the responce was from Dr. Hsu himself. He was a F'ing ******* and a SNOB! He thinks he is better than everyone else.

SVS is like "good ol' Southern hospitality" and I would like to do business with them.

I have blacklisted HSU...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I really do not know what you are talking about. I have never seen anyone have anything but PRAISE for Dr. Hsu. Someone at the Hometheaterforum said they asked him about HSU RESEARCH vs. SVS, and he refused to say anything negative about SVS. I get the feeling that even owners of SVS praise Dr. Hsu

And I also read somewhere that HSU RESEARCH is LARGER than SVS

Anyway, I am not in a character debate, but a debate about SUBWOOFERS. If you do not have anything good to say please move along sir

This message has been edited by Zeke1122 on 05-27-2002 at 11:25 PM

Well, I wrote an e-mail asking Dr. Hsu about some of the subwoofers that were not on their site, and he basically told my that unless I was interested in buying one, no information would be provided. It was said in a very nasty way.

The letter was well written and spell checked. I was asking for information by mail or e-mail.

What can I say. I have to be "happy" when I go to work, I know it isn't different with other people.

What can I say?

Also, if I am wrong about the size, OK. This is somthing from a forum about six months ago. I thought SVS was WAY bigger than HUS.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

That just does not make sense to me. I have never heard ANYONE make such a claim about Dr. Hsu. This is a guy who has an established reputation for many years in this industry.

Anyway, I am interested in talking about SUBWOOFERS, so please let it be.

This message has been edited by Zeke1122 on 05-28-2002 at 12:47 AM

FWIW I have traded emails with Dr. Hsu in the past. He is a very geniune, good, and honest individual. He also seems to know so much about subwoofers, speakers, and electronics that it is amazing.

This message has been edited by Zeke1122 on 05-28-2002 at 01:03 AM

I take the SVS Ultra against any HSU,even the CS-Plus will have no trouble with the VTF-3(as great as it is,and its a great subwoofer).

Both subs are great(CS-Plus and VTF-3)I wish I could buy them in Canada with little trouble.After I add the sipment fee,convert US dollars into Canadian.SVS and HSU are not as great values as they are in the USA.

Still I plan to buy two SVS Ultras or even two SVS SS this year.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Don't know. I don't have ANYTHING against him, not a grudge, dislike, etc. He just send me a nasty e-mail. Thats all I am saying.

------------------

theEAR, how can you make such a statement The VTF-3 is a new subwoofer. One of the people said that a single VTF-3 was comparable to his dual SVS CS setup! And that was only using the extension mode, using the output mode would give even more output!!!!! And the Ultra subwoofer is so expensive, you can get 2 Hsu's for that price.

Zeke,

The comparison was done with our old style subs using our outdated drivers against the newest HSU offered. Also, the dual HSU package is about 50% more in price than the SVS package is now...and that SVS package includes the new,driver and several other important upgrades to the SVS lineup. SVS offers a good price/performance ratio....but if you want to compare our oldest design(which cost 50% less) to the newest Hsu...we might run into some situations where we aren't always preferred. Not very surprising!

If you want to talk objective test data...our OLD 20-39cs was measured at 109.5dB/25hz extension by Tom Nousaine. A performance combination that has yet to be matched by any subwoofer south of the $$$$ 18" Vel servos.(this includes the HSU vtf-2 and the HSU TN25) Hsu provides outstanding stuff, but please be fair and compare like products( using our latest designs and a like price point). Do you own a subwoofer Zeke? Which and how do you like it?

Tom V.

SVS

OK, ONE LAST TIME:

What the hell do you think this is? A debate? I am saying he wrote me a unkind and nasty letter. WHAT IS THEIR TO DEBATE ABOUT IT!!! ALSO, I said I don't have anything against him or the company, so I am not trying to tarnish his reputation or create chaos.

Please, I would like to end this part, but if you think I aam the "mislead" one, guess again. Maybe he was having a bad day, I don't really care, but I am not fabricating this. I have never seen or heard a HSU and I certainly DO NOT have a problem with him or his company, JUST THE LETTER.

Also, you are sticking up for him, I am ONLY talking about the letter, NOTHING else. I would love to meet him, as I have heard he is a great person.

Any other accusations?

------------------

no so i am trying to find out more and i think that the HSU VTF-3 is about the most i can spend. anyway someone mentioned somewhere on the web that i can get a HSU for cheaper???

are u sure about old style because i think one of the reviews (that long one) when someone asked about this he said new style. i am looking at one sub. i am also interested in music as much as movies

i am just trying to get more opinions. There is like so many posts about SVS and i can read anything there is to know about SVS, but not so many posts about HSU.