Hsu Research vs Svs

Zeke1122

>>>i already heard that HSU can be cheaper than list.<<<

It lists for $849 on the Hsu site. If you can link a site selling it for less, why not do so?

>>and you obviously have to add a price of an amp to your SVS.<<

Yes, if you are comparing a passive svs to a powered hsu. Or you can do the logical thing and order a powered SVS to do so. My above component break down already addressed this.

>>>and how can you forget the guy who says one VTF-3 compares to two SVS with 700 watt amp Price advantage there for SVS, huh? huh?<<<

It seemed like a single very casual comparison to me. If a single VTF-3 can beat out our twin 20-39cs/s700 package...the vtf-3 must be one mean subwoofer. Fortunately for svs...that would be an impossibility of physics(assuming all subs were working 100%).

>>>Like i said before you are the owner of SVS, and you have never heard a VTF-3, but you don't have an agenda. Nah.<<<

Like I said before, everyone here knows me and knows who I am. You on the other hand hide behind a screen name and hurl accusations from the safety of a modem. That is something you act proud of...along with seeing how much of my time you can waste it seems...

You have already been invited off this board, in your very first thread.Congrats,I believe that is a record. I guess your trolling was a little more obvious than you thought.

TV

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is great!

"and how can you forget the guy who says one VTF-3 compares to two SVS with 700 watt amp Price advantage there for SVS, huh? huh?"

BS

Two CS subs with even the built in 300+ Watts amps will produce more output down low then the VTF-3.

Simply put the VTF-3 also uses a 12" driver and its driver does not move twice the air.Plus both HSU and SVS boxes are properly tuned.

I think I may order one VTF-3 just for kicks,and compare it to a single CS-Plus and single Ultra.Agai all to see(hear) how the hype stands.

So far I give full credit to SVS,I had their Ultras(first revision)at home and compared these to subs even three times as expensive.The SVS Ultras beat all contenders in output(with ease),the only worthy contender was the Aerial and Revel subs,HGS-18 being a close third,and then the Sunfire Signature.

My guess would be the VTF-3 gives about the same output as the CS-Plus.More? Doubt it very much

I know the HSU subs are great but to say they best the awesome SVS(based on actual expeience)I doubt it.

When I place the orders(HSU and SVS) and get the goods we'll see(hear).

I dont give credit because a few "reviewers" say its good.I have to hear it myself

TheEAR(s) Now theears

>>>I think I may order one VTF-3 just for kicks,and compare it to a single CS-Plus and single Ultra.Agai all to see(hear) how the hype stands.<<<

You might as well wait a little and go for a PC+ in a month or so. This is the powered versions of the CS+.

525w BASH amp, user adjustable tuning with 3 tuning points to pick from,the same extreme throw driver as the CS+,three 3" flared ports,available in all 3 standard SVS sizes...and priced well under $849(we hope)...

...we might sell a couple of them I think...

Hopefully someone will buy one, and compare it to an outdated hsu subwoofer that cost a fraction of the price...not.

TV

Bob A, uh, I mean Zeke, this is a sad topic, and I hope it gets closed.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Shiva/AVA250 DIY sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts

Hitachi DV-P415U dvd player

hornED, if i buy a promedia can i be a part of your exclusive club?

TVodhanel, i was doing some searches at the Hometheater forum and oh what do i see, but tested HSU VTF-2 with 93db at 20Hz and tested SVS CS20 with 91db at 20Hz. HSU VTF-2 has 10 inch driver, 150 watts, box. SVS CS20 has 12 inch driver, 300+ watts, huge tube. i guess simple physics is maybe not so simple after all cwm2.gif

please visit the local cc asap, load up the trunk, bring the blue car, and crank up the sound system, you will surely be the envy of the town

i was looking through your website the other day and i could not find a phone number. i have never seen any company with no phone number. all from the convenience of a modem, oh yeah. i can understand because ma and pa would probably get irritated, and there is so much bass noise that maybe no one can hear the phone anyway

you are the owner of a company but you go around in public talking like a petulant child, my sub is better than your sub mentality

you have never heard a VTF-3, but you do not have an agenda. nah cwm2.gif

theEar, that is good, great. i think you will want to talk to dr. about what your goals are. he tells me that for loooooowwwww bass maybe 1220 is even better. you seem to like a lot of bass you might want two or three

This message has been edited by Zeke1122 on 05-31-2002 at 08:04 AM

Hey Zeke,

I see you're still here and causing more havoc. The reason Tom is allowed on this board is because first and foremost, he owns Klipsch speakers (KLF-30's if I'm not mistaken). Also, if you took the time to read some of the other threads, you will notice he does not promote his product or put other products down. He simply tells it like it is. He quotes the facts and lets the members decide for themselves over what's good and what's not for the money. I have never seen him belittle another company or subwoofer. NEVER! He doesn't need to promote his products. As you can see, the members do that quite nicely.

BTW, the moderators have nothing bad to say about Tom. If they did, he wouldn't be here now would he? You show us one thread on HTF shouting victory for the Hsu versus the SVS. For every one of those threads, you will find 20 favoring the SVS. Now you do the math trollboy. And while you're at it, you can crawl back under your rock...

Mike

okay everybody, how about this- I own a number of Hsu subwoofers, and as an ex member of the audio industry in california, know Dr. Hsu at some level.

I also have a great deal of respect for Tod from SVS. Even though I have never spoken to him, I read this forum everyday for over a year, but post very little, and have always found his posts to be insightful and right on.

I have heard the SVS subs in action. They are beautiful subwoofers. I do not believe, and I have heard the VTF-3 in my own home, that there is a better subwoofer for output than the SVS Ultra. Hands down.

I do believe, and this is completely a subjective opinion, that the HSU VTF-3 is more musical for what I am looking for.

All that being said, I am building my own sub with a 350W HSU amp, and a custom made subwofer from Image Dynamics, the speaker manufacturer I was previously affiliated with. I am doing this because I am in teh position to ask for a speaker to be custom made to my specs- which is nto something most have access to.

However- I beleive that in most cases, the SVS and HSU subwoofer lines are very, very nice subwoofers. Each are excellently engineered, and are two of the best brands of subwoofer on the market. They, for the price, are two of the only subs I would consider.

So there you go zeke- I have seen both, and there is my opinion. I do not think the difference between the two can be stated as being one better than the other. They are different, but equally matched in quality. Only a listen by the user would allow them to make a decision, BUT I would bet for what most people want, teh SVS is the better speaker.

Thanks,

TJ

------------------

"Imaging is Everything"

Wow, 21 posts for Zeke the "Hsu Hypster"... and nary a comparison to a Klipsch subwoofer. Talk about someone grabbing "free" space to hype a product.

But, at least now he has provided a slam reference to ProMedia as entry to a non-existent "Club" as he continues to bait long-time Forum contributors with his near mindless rhetoric.

Maybe we should all just go away and let him bait cwm14.gif and flame cwm23.gif himself, -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-31-2002 at 11:12 AM

Hey HornED,

I posted a suround speaker question in the HT forum I was hoping you could respond on.

I hate to mention that in a totally unrelated thread, but I'd really love to get your input, seeing as how you've forgotten more about Klipsch branded speakers that I'll probably ever know.

and at least I know you are reading this one. Smile.gif

thanks.

------------------

"Imaging is Everything"

I want to cry! Where's my mommy!!! Frown.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Imageman,

No matter if its the input or output mode you will use the SVS Ultra and SS whip the VTF-3 in output and as for being less musical...bull crap.

Just use a real quality amp and the so called musical superiority will vanish.

The SVS SS bass driver uses a very rigid cone,pistonic movement with no deformaions during work.Large voice coil in optimised magnetic circuit.The driver is fast,so where is the HSU driver better?

Cabinet a very rigid cylinder does not resonate in any way to cause a musicality loss.So gain typical audiophile musicality imagination.

If you told me a Paradigm PS1000 was unmusical I would agree,but not the SVS Ultra(driven by a quality high current amp).The HSU amps are nothing special,want better quality Bryston in one.

The best quality bass I heard comes from the Velodyne HGS series,JBL Ti-K sub and Aerial SW12.Revel B15 being very close(when tuned well).

I agree HSU is great value for the money but some claims are overboard.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Wait, zeke, you said for not much more money you can get 2 vtf-3s instead of 1 svs-ultra, right? I'm doin simple math here, cs-ultra=1250 correct? vtf-3=850? So 850+850=1700? 1700-1250=450? 1700+450=2150? Dual cs-ultras=2000? That means for not much more you can get 2 vtf-3s as you said, correct? For even less of an increase from the dual vtf-3s you can get dual ultras, with a difference of $300 as compared to the $450 difference between 1 ultra and 2 vtf-3s. "I do not believe, and I have heard the VTF-3 in my own home, that there is a better subwoofer for output than the SVS Ultra." He refers to that svs ultra being one twice in this sentence saying subwoofer w/o an s, and svs ultra with out dual. Don't get me wrong here, but wouldn't that make the dual ultras a much better choice for output than the dual vtf-3? Now if you can give me a cheaper price than $850 for the vtf-3, than that totally changes things, you did say you could get them under listed right? For $300 more, I don't know; its up for debate if that is worth more output and less definition, although I don't know how significant the difference in either is when compared to the other subwoofer. Sounds like the spl king is still svs, but what I keep thinking is, how much does definition really matter between 15-30 hz?

people say that for loooowwww bass 1220 might be better than VTF-3. reading the reviews on the HSU site, the HSU 1220, 250 watts, has 110 db at 20Hz. So i can get two 1220's and 500 watts for almost the same price as one Ultra and 500 watts, and the two 1220's and 500 watts give me almost 120 db at 20Hz, for sure more output than one Ultra

and i also see good data on the KLIPSCH RSW15 at the Hometheater forum, nice looking i think

This message has been edited by Zeke1122 on 06-01-2002 at 04:17 AM

Last I heard, Hsu doesn't even have a 500w amp for sale on the site. If you wanted to get 2 tn20s with 2 of the 250w amps it would be $1528.

That is more expensive than our dual 20-39CS+/S1000 combo and MUCH more($429) expensive than the dual 20-39cs/S700 combo.

You could also get dual 20-39PCi for much less cost.

TV

btw, zeke,

The Moderators know I never introduce SVS into any thread here(or anywhere really). If a product is being misreprensented on their forums...I'm sure they would rather have the facts laid out for all the forum members. You sign up here and begin trolling the first day and the next day you are telling the moderators how to do their jobs...all behind a fake name...what a joke.

Mike,

I actually own 10 or so Klipsch speakers Smile.gif

One theater has the KLF30s,C7,SS-5,3.1s And I have a small setup with a pair of 1.1s and a C5 in it now.

TV