RT12D - need set-up help

Kim Womer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all great advice, can't wait to get home to have some fun with these settings. I currently have the sub high pass filter set to 125HZ and LFE turned off at the sub, should I leave these settings alone as is?

Don't change those settings.

The Yamaha is already doing that filtering for you.

if i had your setup i would look at all your speakers lowest freq response. for the 83's they will play down to 29 hz. and your rc-64 down to 62 hz. and the rb-81 will play down to 46 hz. so if it were me i would set the all speakers to "small" crossover your fronts at around 60hz, center at 70, and rears at 70. that is pretty close to them all being matched, then cross your sub over at around 80-90 hz on the avr. that should give you a smooth blend with no boominess around that range. if all your stuff is set to large, you will just be straining your receiver to push them large speakers. no sense in having your towers try to play anything below 60 hz when you have a subwoofer in the mix IMHO. i also just recently purchased an svs subwoofer, and when i called them to see how they like it setup, they told me to run the gain as high as possible on subwoofer before you run your version of audyssey. i asked why they recommended that. this is what they said. if you set your gain at half, and something explodes in the soundtrack the loudest your subwoofer will play is half gain. so you are not seeing any of your subwoofers true potential. however if you set it higher and let your YPAO compensate and turn the subwoofer channel way down, if something ever explodes and the sub channel needs to play that loud it will have all the head room in the world. and what you get is a much more dynamic sound through the whole volume range. i was skeptical at first but followed his instructions as he asked, and holy cow!! what a difference that made. i feel like the whole time i have ever been in home theaters that i have had my stuff set up wrong. i have always had my sub at like half then compensated the on the AVR, cause i didnt want to "strain" the amp. however he explained to me that just cause the gain is up on the amp, that if is wasn't up playing super hard then it was not running hard. and i trust the guys there at svs cause subwoofer is what those guys do. so give that a try. might definitely be worth your while.

^^^That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that when I finally get my sub in...

I don't remember my AVR having the 'small' setting, just crossover points...Is this normal with Onkyo or am I missing a setting in there somewhere?

My Onkyo TX-SR705's setup menu says: Full Band? yes or no.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRc2Gat7ehMu8mSfEXSENG

Bill

Ok, this is what I thought. I found all those settings so I wasn't missing anything. Just different AVRs/different menu options... thanks =^)

Alot of great advice here on this forum, thanks everybody. I have a lot of options to try now, and obviously alot to learn along the way. Will let you know how I make out with the suggestions. On anothere topic, would the RS-62's serve me better on the sides than the RB-81's? I listen to alot of blu-ray music concerts so I would have to say music is more important to me than the movie surround stage.

if i had your setup i would look at all your speakers lowest freq response. for the 83's they will play down to 29 hz. and your rc-64 down to 62 hz. and the rb-81 will play down to 46 hz. so if it were me i would set the all speakers to "small" crossover your fronts at around 60hz, center at 70, and rears at 70. that is pretty close to them all being matched, then cross your sub over at around 80-90 hz on the avr. that should give you a smooth blend with no boominess around that range. if all your stuff is set to large, you will just be straining your receiver to push them large speakers. no sense in having your towers try to play anything below 60 hz when you have a subwoofer in the mix IMHO. i also just recently purchased an svs subwoofer, and when i called them to see how they like it setup, they told me to run the gain as high as possible on subwoofer before you run your version of audyssey. i asked why they recommended that. this is what they said. if you set your gain at half, and something explodes in the soundtrack the loudest your subwoofer will play is half gain. so you are not seeing any of your subwoofers true potential. however if you set it higher and let your YPAO compensate and turn the subwoofer channel way down, if something ever explodes and the sub channel needs to play that loud it will have all the head room in the world. and what you get is a much more dynamic sound through the whole volume range. i was skeptical at first but followed his instructions as he asked, and holy cow!! what a difference that made. i feel like the whole time i have ever been in home theaters that i have had my stuff set up wrong. i have always had my sub at like half then compensated the on the AVR, cause i didnt want to "strain" the amp. however he explained to me that just cause the gain is up on the amp, that if is wasn't up playing super hard then it was not running hard. and i trust the guys there at svs cause subwoofer is what those guys do. so give that a try. might definitely be worth your while.

Scrappy, her Yamaha does not have that capability. She sets them to small, and picks 1 frequency for everything. 60Hz seemed the best overall given the speakers she has.

As for the SVS advice, that is sage. You can have the YPAO bottom out on the gain though (I don't know what the - adjustment limits are for her unit), so perhaps 75% would be a bit safer.

Alot of great advice here on this forum, thanks everybody. I have a lot of options to try now, and obviously alot to learn along the way. Will let you know how I make out with the suggestions. On anothere topic, would the RS-62's serve me better on the sides than the RB-81's? I listen to alot of blu-ray music concerts so I would have to say music is more important to me than the movie surround stage.

RS speakers are specifically made for sides, as they provide ambient, non-directional sounds. RB's are directional, so you can locate the source of the sound, which isn't supposed to happen with surrounds. As for music to movie soundstage, well that all depends on who mastered the soundtrack. If they did it for surround, and understanding what the surround channels are for, then RS speakers will better serve you.

Scrappy, her Yamaha does not have that capability. She sets them to small, and picks 1 frequency for everything. 60Hz seemed the best overall given the speakers she has.

As for the SVS advice, that is sage. You can have the YPAO bottom out on the gain though (I don't know what the - adjustment limits are for her unit), so perhaps 75% would be a bit safer.

ah didn't know they couldn't be set individually. Well I would go with 70 myself just so you weren't sending unused frequencies to the center. And crossover the sub at 80 maybe 90. And the gain thing is just a suggestion. They say try to make sure you have it as high as possible without bottoming out your avr setting. I tried my sub all the way up and in my small room it was way too loud. I think it's about 89% with the gain in. The receiver on -15db

Sorry for the confusion but she's a he. That's ok, not the first time (or last) that happened. If I deciphered the recommendations correctly I'll go home tonight and do the following:

1. Change speaker setting to small

2. Set speaker Bass min Frequency at 60 HZ

3. Set sub filter at 80 HZ

4. Raise volume control on sub to almost max

5. Set sub power level at AVR at 0.0 db

6. Turn off LFE at sub

Did I miss anything?

All sounds good except for setting the avr to 0 for the sub channel. Let you avr decide that when it does the room correction. And if it's all the way negative after the results turn the sub down a notch or two and re run it. You basically want to know your sub volume is as high as it can be without the receiver adding any gain.

I disagree with #3. I do not think you should be using the sub filter at all. If you are using the processing in the receiver, you are duplicating. I think you should turn the filter to as high as it will go on the sub, or if you can disable it. Also, try the sub in a corner just for the fun of it...

I made the changes last night & it sounds MUCH better, however I didn't see your recent posts till this AM. Will plan to make those changes then run the YPAO. If those changes make it sound any better than it does now I'll be ecstatic, huge improvement already.....will keep you posted. Thanks again guys....

Oh yeah, when I was playing with the yamaha last night I noticed the LFE is turned on and setting is 0.0 db and gives me the option of lowering the setting. It also gives me 3 options regarding different cominations of which speakers to direct the LFE signals to, I just left it alone. I'll make sure it's off at the sub....There's a hell of a lot to learn here.....