RT12D - need set-up help

Kim Womer

Can anyone recommend a good starting point to set-up my RT12D sub? I currently have it set for music, room correction is turned on & It sits 12ft directly behind my listening spot, receiver is Yamaha RX V3800, 7.1 suround speaker set-up., room is on the lg size with high ceilng. Where should crossover Frequency be set? volume setting at sub? power setting at receiver? I like a little extra bass punch. Thank you......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum!

On the sub, you should disable the HPF by turning it all the way up. The sub gain should be about half way up.

In the AVR set the LFE at 120hz. After that run YPAO.

Once the system sets up, you can increase the low frequencies by turning up the gain on the sub chanel in the AVR or turning up the dial on the sub itself.

Thanks for the help, I certainly appreciate it Not familiar with terms HPF (high pass filter?) or LFE, can you elaborate further? The current sub setting is:

Music

EQ mode - punch

Room correction - on

Low pass - 100 HZ

Low pass slope - 36 db/octave

Phase - 0

The LFE or .1 channel is a production channel for sound engineers to put the low frequency sounds in. The hpf only let's frequencies above the setting pass to the tweeter and the lpf only let's frequencies blow that setting pass to the woofer. If speaker are set to small the bass limited speakers will have their low frequencies sent to the sub. If some of the speakers are set to large, they will receive the full range of frequencies and the redirected bass along with the LFE. Bass management is done through the avr when all speakers are set to small. To get all the LFE, the sub should have the x-o all the way up or turn it off. The lpf and hpf are not brick walls and have a slop on frequency decay that leaks through. The x-o in the avr should be set 10 db higher than the weakest speakers frequency response.

I don't remember my AVR having the 'small' setting, just crossover points...Is this normal with Onkyo or am I missing a setting in there somewhere?

I'm pretty sure it's just full band and then when you change it to crossover at whatever they just become small. That's how my onkyo is.

Here is my message with a bit more elaboration and no acronyms.

Welcome to the forum!

On the subwoofer itself:

Disable the low pass filter by making the "Lowpass" as high as it will go

Make the slope as low as it will go

Turn the volume about half way up (not sure how high it will go)

You can run room correction if you have the mic, but it may be better to wait and run YPAO (see below)

In the Yamaha RX V3800:

set the LFE at 120hz.

Run Yamaha's Calibration ( They call it YPAO).

Once the calibration is completed, you can increase the bass punch by turning up the gain on the sub channel in the Yamaha or turning up the volume on the subwoofer itself.

I hope this is more clear. Sorry for the nutty confusion!

After you do this, let me know if it is better. There are more things you can do, including changing the crossover points of the speakers, repositioning the sub, and even adding a second sub if you really want to shake things up. <- pun intended

Thanks all for the help!!! Last night I turned the LFE off at the sub, set the LPF at the sub at 125 HZ, set sub power level at AVR to 0.0 db. raised the bass speaker gain to othe 7 speakers by 2 db & it is closer to what sounds good to me. My speakers are set for "large" however, should the setting be at "small"? they are:

Front L & R - RF 83

Center - RC 64

Side L & R - RB 61

Rear L & R - RF 83

Similarly, the Integra DHC-80.3 speaker setup. In an Onkyo or Integra, if you say full-range on all of your system speakers, then you will get very little signal sent to your subwoofer. The way I look at it, the sub is going to reproduce frequencies below that of the smallest defined speaker in your system. In my all-LaScala system, every speaker is high pass filtered at 55Hz. I have tried many cutoffs, and this one seems to give the most seemless reproduction between my LaScalas and my THT subs.

post-47699-0-37360000-1385657275_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy

Thanks all for the help!!! Last night I turned the LFE off at the sub, set the LPF at the sub at 125 HZ, set sub power level at AVR to 0.0 db. raised the bass speaker gain to othe 7 speakers by 2 db & it is closer to what sounds good to me. My speakers are set for "large" however, should the setting be at "small"? they are:

Front L & R - RF 83

Center - RC 64

Side L & R - RB 61

Rear L & R - RF 83

Set the Rears sides and center to small, and leave the main L/R large. That will raise the bass up from the sub.

Where is the subwoofer placed?

One more thing, set the "Bass Crossover" at 60Hz. You should also try setting the mains to small, as this setting will send frequencies below about 60Hz to the sub. This should really kick. The Bass Crossover settings are 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, and 200. You have some big speakers, so I think 60 would be best for you.

Lastly, a sub in a corner will be much more effective. It is called corner loading, and uses the corner as an amplifier of a sort.