Home Theater Amp

Stevo81

Please forgive me if this comes off as a dumb question, but I don't have any experience with separate amps. I have a denon 3311 ci receiver and would like to see what a little more power will do :).

I am going to look at a 5 channel 200wpc amp this weekend ( used ). What do I look for, if the seller does not have this hooked up ( he said he will try ) is there anything I can or should do or test.

If it is hooked up I assume if I hear sound out of all channels it should be good to go.....is this assumption correct. Thank you in advance

Please forgive me if this comes off as a dumb question, but I don't have any experience with separate amps. I have a denon 3311 ci receiver and would like to see what a little more power will do :).

Stevo81,

Nothing dumb about that question. Adding outboard amps to my systems has done nothing but enhanced the experience.

What do I look for, if the seller does not have this hooked up ( he said he will try ) is there anything I can or should do or test.

This may sound a little nuts but many times when I go check out something(especially amps) on C-list, I bring a couple of demo CD's, speaker wire, RCA cables, a cheapo small DVD player, small pair of speakers, and some type of preamp. This way I will have peace of mind if seller has no way to hook up.

I am going to look at a 5 channel 200wpc amp this weekend ( used ).

What amp are you going to look at?

Bill

Thanks for the responses.....it is a b&k 7250ii.....Anyone know when this model was released ?

The 7250II is a fantastic amp with plenty of reserves on tap. It was released in 2001 and is virtually the same amp as the 200.7 which was released in 2003. I have owned the EX4420 and the Reference 4430 both 200w/ch with basically the same internals as the 7250 but with only 2 and 3 channels.

I bought my EX4420 when it was 13 years old and it looked practically brand new inside and outside as well as the 4430. I only had 1 issue with the 4430 and that was low volume in the center channel that only required a replacement of an output transitor totaling $90.00 in repair cost.

If the seller will let you remove the top plate to peek inside, do so. Look for burnt marks on transitors and leaking or dried out capacitors.

Attached is a photo of the inside of my Reference 4430.

Bill

post-26822-13819711984474_thumb.jpg

post-26822-13819734696786_thumb.jpg

post-26822-13819764652772_thumb.jpg

post-26822-1381979145741_thumb.jpg

Thanks bill,

If you remember we talked on the phone quite some time ago about amps, I remember how fond of the b&k you were. I am on my way now to go check it out ,hopefully all goes well.

By the way, congrats on your tv!!!!! I have last years pn63c8000 plasma and I couldn't be happier, I also upgraded from a rear projection so I can only imagine how happy you are!!

Thanks bill, If you remember we talked on the phone quite some time ago about amps, I remember how fond of the b&k you were.

You just sparked my memory, which usually is very good. I hope this works out for you.

By the way, congrats on your tv!!!!! I have last years pn63c8000 plasma and I couldn't be happier, I also upgraded from a rear projection so I can only imagine how happy you are!!

So far so good. The picture quality is phenominal especially the "inky" blacks which my DLP fell short on. I watched a couple of free 10 minute previews of full HD 1080P movies on VUDU and the picture quality is close if not equal to Bluray. This SMART TV thing is really cool with all the apps and features.

Only issue I have encountered is that for me to be able to display my NAD receivers' on screen menu, I must use an S-video connection which the Samsung does not have. Woe to me. Obviously that is a shortcoming of the NAD and not the Samsung. I have all the receiver settings the way I like them so it really is not a problem. I may get a tiny LCD display(19 inch) with S-video later on if I need to change things.

Steve, give me a call if you have any questions concerning the B&K. I will PM my number to you.

Bill

Well a little update on the amp, I took a 2 hour drive to go look at the B&K . Ended up getting a STEAL of a price on it,i suppose due to a slightly damaged corner and channel 1 not working. I took a gamble without being able to fully test it on site and was a little anxious to get this thing home and open it up.Some of you guys might get a kick out of what i found......pics to follow [:D]

post-51861-13819712167262_thumb.jpg

post-51861-13819734109216_thumb.jpg

post-51861-13819764833042_thumb.jpg

post-51861-13819791643238_thumb.jpg

The only thing wrong with channel 1 was the nut on the back of the fuse holder was broken and on the bottom, and the fuse was gone. Less than two bucks at radio shack for both and 2 minutes to install and I was up and running. I hooked up some old bose to test each channel and listened to each channel seperately for a couple hours each. No problems at all, is there anything else I should check before hooking up to my good speakers?

post-51861-13819712169492_thumb.jpg

post-51861-13819734112096_thumb.jpg

post-51861-13819764835142_thumb.jpg

post-51861-13819791645522_thumb.jpg

Nice, very nice.

Ended up getting a STEAL of a price on it,i suppose due to a slightly damaged corner and channel 1 not working.

Can't even see the damaged corner. That channel 1 issue might be an easy fix if you even need it right now.

Some of you guys might get a kick out of what i found......pics to follow Big Smile

Let's see them.

Bill

The only thing wrong with channel 1 was the nut on the back of the fuse holder was broken and on the bottom, and the fuse was gone. Less than two bucks at radio shack for both and 2 minutes to install and I was up and running.

I am glad it was an easy(and cheap) fix.

The 7250 is one impressive looking amp. I thought my 4430 had some serious guts until you opened up that thing. Huge transformer(1500va) with plenty of capacitance(162,000 microfarads total) to easily handle what you throw at it.

I hooked up some old bose to test each channel and listened to each channel seperately for a couple hours each. No problems at all, is there anything else I should check before hooking up to my good speakers?

You did exactly what I usually do.

Enjoy your toy.

Bill

Hey bill,

As far as your svideo problem a friend of mine had some great luck with this.....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=7111&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for the link. I was thinking about one of those but just did not want to spend the $$$ for it. I may spring for it anyway.

Thanks,

Bill

Hey bill,

As far as your svideo problem a friend of mine had some great luck with this.....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=7111&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for the link. I was thinking about one of those but just did not want to spend the $$$ for it. I may spring for it anyway.

Thanks,

Bill

Cheaper than the little monitor you were talking about =^P I took a quick look and saw some S video to RCA converters as well. Not very good reviews, but they were only a few bucks. Might be worth a try.