Opinions please on Mcintosh c11 or c22 or mx110

I have researched all these units and plan to choose one and have it gone thru by someone else. I "like" the Mcintosh sound with my 76 Cornwalls and ALK crossovers and I listen exclusively to vinyl. My preference is jazz, rock, and classical. I have a couple of decent fm channels in Dallas I listen to occasionally and use a McIntosh MR71 but I may just skip fm entirely. If you have any personal experience with these units or opinions I would sincerely appreciate your input.

The system stream is: (Thorens TD124 - SME12 - Ortofon SPU)---(Juicy Music Tercel with Cream, Auricaps, and Telefunken ECC83s)---Mcintosh C15 solid state preamp) - MC225 Tube amp - 76 Cornwalls

ecc83

• Moderators

I have had the C-22 and the MX-110, if you don't care about a tuner I preferred the C-22 over the MX-110. I would also suggest that you talk with someone like NosValves who update and restore these units, to discuss the pros and cons with each unit in terms of restoration. They will know off the top of their head whether the cans are still available, if you have to go another route if the cans are leaking, the upgrades in caps that are possible with the C-22 that there is no room for in the MX-110, if you are considering mods, etc.

Travis

Wow. Look who the cat dragged in. Call me sometime Travis. Its been WAY too long!

I've owned both the MX110 and the C22 (and a couple others) and I agree 100% with Travis. I much preferred the C22.

Good luck Charles.

I've worked on all 3 models and have listened to all extensively. With the quality of modern FM signals the FM section of the MX110 give no value (to me). So my pecking order goes like this and is rendered with no monetary consideration since the best of the 3 also costs the most.

1) C-22

2) C-11 close second, the C-22 rates higher mostly from a cosmetic and ergonomic stand point. If both units are working up to snuff they both perform very well and similar. The C-11 is just a tad bit more laid back.

3) MX-110

Thanks to all that have responded. The comparison link on Klipsch was also useful. I have not thought about the effort involved in the rebuild and I just spoke to Craig to understand that better.

At this point it's a toss up between the c11 and the c22. The mx110 has dropped out...if I continue to listen to fm I'll just get the MR71 tuned up.

The problem becomes if I chose the less expensive c11 will always covet the c22?

Thanks to all that have responded. The comparison link on Klipsch was also useful. I have not thought about the effort involved in the rebuild and I just spoke to Craig to understand that better.

At this point it's a toss up between the c11 and the c22. The mx110 has dropped out...if I continue to listen to fm I'll just get the MR71 tuned up.

The problem becomes if I chose the less expensive c11 will always covet the c22?

Just a thought... the C32 is nice also.... lol...

When you talk to Craig, tell him you want to spring for Jensen caps. He did mine a few years back and I still marvel at the sound. And this is from a guy who's had a C22 in his main system for 25 years . . .

The caps are expensive as heck but worth it if you plan to keep it over many years... Glad your still enjoying it! I was honored that you allowed me to go wild on it! The Jensen caps were your idea and a great idea it was. If memory serves me correctly you had them in your Cornwall crossovers and loved them.

Craig

Alan,

Many thanks for your opinion...I had not yet decided on the type of caps. I have, however, followed your advice in the past (TD124-SPU) and been pleased with the outcome.

Craig,

We will obviously be talking before you start the rebuild but Alan's suggestion sounds like a good path to go.

thanks...charles

I received the following note from Craig after he received the C22....

Just had a chance to opened the C22 and all I can say is WOW! This C22 is like out of a time capsule. Other then a bit of oxidization on the RCA I/O jacks which should clean up pretty good this thing as about a pristine as I have seen. The tubes are all original Telefunken and usually will test just fine the Telefunken 12AX7’s last for an unbelievable amount of usage like 2 lifetimes for a normal users.