2 RW-12d's

HAmmer32261

I recently purchased a 2nd RW12 and connected it to my sub out 2 on my Denon 3312ci

i have both subs set to auto-on but only one of the subs goes on standby after 20min of no signal and the one i just bought

stays on all the time, i did a forum search and alot of people say to leave the sub on all the time

and i was wondering if i should just do the same thing note i bought my first one a few weeks ago and the 2nd one came on may 4th

Thanks for any suggestions

Welcome to the forum!

I have 2 as well and added a Y splitter at each sub for the left and right input. This helped the auto on function for both subs.

I think he was actually asking about going to sleep, not waking up.

It won't hurt for the sub to be "on" at all times. It won't use any more current than the one in "standby".

Thanks for the help Gentlemen as long as leaving them on all the time doesnt hurt them

i'll just do that , one more question is there any benefit to putting a Y adaptor into the sub

versus just plugging into the left LFE with a single cable?? i have 2 monster cables

and they both came with a Y adaptor but im not using them at the moment

thx John

There's really no benefits to a y adapter. Some say it adds a couple of db and keeps dust out of the terminal. I primarily just added mine to help with the wake up / auto on feature.

Sorry I misread your op...........and by all means take cecaa850's advise to heart as he is one of the forums "Sub Gurus" [Y]

This is the science behind it: Y-connector

There are two formulas used to find

the db ratio between sound levels.

The first is used ONLY FOR

POWER (watts): 10 . log (P2/P1). This formula is used when comparing

Sound Intensity, measured in watts.

The second is used ONLY FOR

VOLTAGES (and SPL levels): 20 . log (V2/V1). This formula is for

voltage relationships and Sound Pressure Levels.

Using a Y adapter will

add two correlated signals. When you sum two equal correlated audio signals

(i.e., mono sources from sub output on the receiver/preamp), you will get

twice the signal level (A1 + A2 = 2A1, since A1=A2).

Therefore ,

since V2 = 2 V1 and the log (2) = 0.30103, it follows

20 . log

(2V1/V1) = 20 . log (2) = 6dB gain in voltage.

For power,

it will be

10. log (2P1/P1) = 10 . log (2) = 3dB increase in

power.http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817 , A Guide to Bass Management Part I

This is the science behind it: Y-connector

There are two formulas used to find the db ratio between sound levels.

The first is used ONLY FOR POWER (watts): 10 . log (P2/P1). This formula is used when comparing Sound Intensity, measured in watts.

The second is used ONLY FOR VOLTAGES (and SPL levels): 20 . log (V2/V1). This formula is for voltage relationships and Sound Pressure Levels.

Using a Y adapter will add two correlated signals. When you sum two equal correlated audio signals (i.e., mono sources from sub output on the receiver/preamp), you will get twice the signal level (A1 + A2 = 2A1, since A1=A2).

Therefore , since V2 = 2 V1 and the log (2) = 0.30103, it follows

20 . log (2V1/V1) = 20 . log (2) = 6dB gain in voltage.

For power, it will be

10. log (2P1/P1) = 10 . log (2) = 3dB increase in power.http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817 , A Guide to Bass Management Part I

Derrick, you are making my brain hurt. [:P] It's too early in the morning for math!

It is important to note that the circuitry inside the sub is what determines what happens when you add a Y connector. It may be an incorret assumption that every sub sums the left and right signals. I would believe an actual measurement as science rather than a mathematical equation.

Also, you can turn up the gain at either the receiver or on the sub itself to get 3db gain. Even though a Y-connector is cheap, having none is free.

Gentleman, I have one and I was wondering what you all thought about yours. I've had mine for about two years and thought about changing it several times but I still have it. I also have a Paradigm Sub 12 which I like a little better because the sound is more mellow and the puch is more powerful. Still they seem to blend well and most people who've heard them together like them. I had two Paradigm Sub 12s for a couple of weeks but wosn't happy with that...it was missing the detail that the RT12d puts in the mix. I also had a Velodyne DD18+ but after the initial excitement I was underwhelmed and returned it. It was almost $4000.00 and I was able to do a lot more to my system than just have something I could brag about. No offense to DD18+ owners, I just couldn't make it work for me. I'm thinking about getting a couple of SVS Ultra 13s. I've gone the gammut with the RT12d from loving it to hating it. Its hard for me to decribe it and I've never talked to anyone who owns one. Somehow it blends with the Paradigm really well but my main issue is that I it distorts at very high volumes. So does the Paradigm. I like to play some things very loud. You can see from my system profile that I've got tons of power so I guess I need subs to match. However, I'm really attached to the RT12d and I'd really appreciate it if you could give me you impriessions. Thanks, Shake

I've gone the gammut with the RT12d from loving it to hating it.

Shake, looks like you are talking about the RT-12D sub which is in a whole different class than the RW-12D

If you are by chance asking about the RW-12D, given the option of doing it again I would say no. They do a nice job at the sale prce I paid but still leave a lot to be desired.

Best regards....Tasdom