Positioning Fortes

ChipByrd

Howdy, I mentioned in a previous post that I am picking up a pair of Fortes this week. Any hints on placement? It took a lot of messing around to get the RF-83's (which I am now getting rid of) and Chorus to sound good. I can easily keep them 3'-4' from the outside walls and if necessary 2'-2.5' from the back wall. I know I will have to toy with them, but any initial guidance will be appreciated. Chip

Thanks,

It seemed to me that the right toe in was more important for the 83's than the Chorus. Also, I had to pull the 83's almost 3' from the back wall to prevent boominess. And I have bass traps. The 1' mark gives me a good starting point. I haven't had a speaker with that big passive woofer in the back. And the Forte's are rated at 32Hz where the Chorus are 45Hz. This will be fun :)

I have Forte I in my basement "man area", unfinished mostly so does not qualify for man cave status.

Have them about 3 feet from the nearest concrete foundation wall, firing into a mainly open basement area at least 25 feet wide and at least 40 feet long.

Certainly not an optimum listening room but I have tried them toed in and straight ahead relative to a listening position.

They work for me just straight on, no toe in. I get a good soundstage and sound as best as you can expect with a non-optimum open area listening area.

I've tried them toed in and just did not seem to work all that well.

Bottom line is to spend time with them in various positions and with your listening position also in various spots to get a feel for your room / space.

Your room / space will drive what is best for you.

Howdy, I mentioned in a previous post that I am picking up a pair of Fortes this week. Any hints on placement? It took a lot of messing around to get the RF-83's (which I am now getting rid of) and Chorus to sound good. I can easily keep them 3'-4' from the outside walls and if necessary 2'-2.5' from the back wall. I know I will have to toy with them, but any initial guidance will be appreciated. Chip

You are on the right track just take your time, once I found the right place for my Forte II's they have not been moved in years. Mine are toed in a bit about a foot from the side wall and a little more from the back wall, they image very well like this the sound comes from in between them instead of from each one of them.