Low-budget KG setup

frenchie16

Hello! This is my first post!

I am trying to build as good of an HT setup as I can for as little money as I can. I figured I'd post here to get some advice on where to go from here.

So far, I picked up a very nice pair of KG5.2's ($220), a rather overpowered 600 watt/channel Carvin power amp ($20), and an Onkyo TX-SR707 receiver ($200 including shipping, because the seller on ebay thought they were selling a stereo AM/FM receiver!). I'm quite happy with what I've got so far and am now looking around for a center, surrounds, and a sub.

My current plan is to try to find some KG2.2's for surrounds and possibly the center as well, or else a KV-3 for the center. I don't know what to look for as far as subs go. Any advice?

its fun trying to build a budget setup if you have time, patience and luck! I had a pair od KG 3.2's and i thought they were great sounding. I sold them though to free up some cash but they are great speakers. They would be great for an office setup IMO because they have an awesome low end in a small package. Your 5.2's should really thump!

Subs are the age old question and there are so many of them out there/ I dont know where to begin to be honest. I have 2 Emotiva Ultra Sub 12's and they have great thump for the price. I find they dont give me the LFE that i want thugh but that is me being a stickler. I want 2 SV Sound PC-13 Ultras but thats a huge splurge haha. I would settle for 2 PC-12 Ultras though :). I would recommend dual subs though to help even out room response. Remember to buy 2 of the same model though o they mesh perfectly/. Whats your price limit?

its fun trying to build a budget setup if you have time, patience and luck! I had a pair od KG 3.2's and i thought they were great sounding. I sold them though to free up some cash but they are great speakers. They would be great for an office setup IMO because they have an awesome low end in a small package. Your 5.2's should really thump!

Subs are the age old question and there are so many of them out there/ I dont know where to begin to be honest. I have 2 Emotiva Ultra Sub 12's and they have great thump for the price. I find they dont give me the LFE that i want thugh but that is me being a stickler. I want 2 SV Sound PC-13 Ultras but thats a huge splurge haha. I would settle for 2 PC-12 Ultras though :). I would recommend dual subs though to help even out room response. Remember to buy 2 of the same model though o they mesh perfectly/. Whats your price limit?

You can buy KG 4.x and 5.x's for a little more than a 2.x. I recomend a 2.x as a center front and center rear for a 6.0 setup to start. I like the 4.x/5.x as rears simply because of the bang for the buck value. I do recommend a sub when you can afford it. If you ever listen to DVD-A's or SACD's, they are 5.1 channels so the rear 2.x will not be used.

I really like the KG speakers. You are getting some real value!

I am located in Massachusetts.

That KG-2.2v does look nice; however, I'm waiting a bit before buying any new speakers. Also, I'm not sure how picky I'll be able to be here, but I'd like to match the finishes of my 5.2's if at all possible (Walnut Oil). As far as I have read, the 2.2v only differs from the 2.2 in that it has shielding, presumably to prevent the magnets from interfering with CRTs? Or is there a different reason?

That is correct. Of course, if you have any type of flat screen TV, the shielding is irrelevant. Also, there may be very little if any audible differences between the KG x.2 series and the slightly newer KG x.5 series, especially for the center. Others here may chime in differently, but a friend has 5.5s with a 2.2 center and it matches very well. KGs are an excellent but inexpensive series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright! Sorry to bring this ancient thread back to life, but I have news!

Since this post I have managed to obtain a KG-2.2v center channel, a bit beat up but working fine, and a very nice pair of KG-2.2s for surrounds! Just got the 2.2s today and haven't set them up with everything else, but they sound great on their own. I am really looking forward to trying out this system with some films. Now I just need to do something about the extremely bad MAG brand TV. I have never understood why a digital LCD television would have features like "sharpness" and overscan, not to mention its awful ghosting issues and inability to even approximate realistic color... but at least it'll sound good in the mean time! I'll put some pics up if people are interested, once I have things in place.

Frenchie, if you have not yet found your sub, there is a great deal on a new in box Klipsch sub for only $300 delivered . . . Sale runs a couple of more days or unless they run out. Would be great with your setup. Start at the end of this thread to get freshest info on getting a Klipsch RW-12d for delivered new for $300 @ http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/157957.aspx. Picked one up myself and have really been thrilled with it for,the price point! Looks like you are coming together on a great KG setup!

I started my Klipsch experience with a pair of KG 3.2, then found a pair of 5.2 and moved the 3.2 to the rear. I had a KG-2 for a center. I hated the KG-2 and ended up finding an Academy and then transitioned to the Forte IIs. If I had found a KG 2.2 to use for a center instead of a KG-2 I may still be listening to the KGs. I really liked the sound, and for the price of KGs vs other Klipsch speakers they are hard to beat.